Menu

What to use after CLE Algebra?

I'm not aware of it if they have plans to extend the light unit series to cover more high school mathematics, so I'm not sure where to go from here. We really like CLE, but I've considered dropping it. I should have considered this prior to buying it, definitely, but in my defense I just wanted her to have something familiar (and CLE is just that) her first year back home after that disaster year last year. 

I've considered dropping it NOW, because I understand the need the stick with "similar" methods throughout high school math, as has been discussed plenty here on the boards. 

There is NOTHING like CLE for past Algebra, that I'm aware of... and I'm not sure what to do. She's doing great with it - but that's kind of what makes me want to switch. I don't want her to be in for a huge surprise next year when she has to move programs (not just programs - but to an entirely different approach). If she were struggling with it, or hated it, I would at least have a real REASON to switch. 

Could you continue CLE but start also doing some problems from another source that could carry her through the rest of High School?  Just try out another system while she finished CLE?

I haven't found anything like CLE at the higher levels either so I get your concern.  DD is in CLE, too, and it is a really good fit.

Have you looked at Jacobs or Dolciani or Lial's?  I was wondering if you might be able to adapt them to some sort of CLE format?   A lot of work to do it, though.  Maybe just try out something, let her work a few problems from whatever other Algebra program looks interesting to the two of you and have her do those problems every Tuesday and Thursday or every Friday or something like that.  If it is a good fit, great.  If not, move on.  Buys you some time, perhaps, before totally moving to something else.

If she's learning algebra effectively, I would be inclined to stay put for now.  I would supplement if you deem necessary (e.g., problem solving or what have you).  Getting a solid algebra foundation is a higher priority than sampling future programs.  You could do the sampling as supplements, as OneStep suggests.

Geometry is such a different topic that I wonder whether it's fair to compare approaches to algebra.  If she's very visual-spatial, she may appreciate geometry more than algebra, or be able to learn it in a different way, such that the CLE method might not be necessary.  CLE is spiral review, yes?  Is that what helps her or is there another angle, something about the style of instruction that suits her?

I think you already have Jacobs - if you like that, he has a geometry book (I recently picked up geometry 2nd ed).

Bottom line:  I'd look for a geometry text and then an algebra 2 text separately.  (Are you still looking at B&M high school?)  I wouldn't worry about choosing a "program" that covers multiple years.  On the other hand, maybe Saxon is what you want - that's integrated, though, I think?

Edited by wapiti

Saxon was a terrible fit for us. I'm not sure why, as I guess it is kind of like CLE (spiral, I mean).

She does need the spiral, but more than that we enjoy the lay out - it's clean, uncluttered, and aesthetically pleasing to her (yes, she is very visual-spatial).

I don't have Jacobs, but I could buy it, but I'm pretty sure it's mastery? How are the pages - I don't remember - are they very cluttered or is laid out at all like CLE?

I do think you're right about Geometry, but given her working memory issues, we have one of two plans for next year:

Either head into Algebra 2 (intermediate algebra), lest she spend too much time away from algebra

Or do a dual geo/algebra 2 year (over two years if necessary, as she is biting at the chomp to start geometry too)

We do not want her dropping algebra completely in favor of geometry next year.

Yes, she still wants brick and mortar high school in a couple years, but honestly we were advised against it. We were advised to slowly have her start to take some outside-the-home classes during high school, to ready her for college, but that she needs the one-on-one that homeschooling gives her (oddly enough, coming from a public school educational psych). I tend to agree with her there, even though I disregarded most of her eval in favor of a prior private eval. 

I really really wouldn't switch away in the middle of a program that's working now.

You don't have to follow the same approach all through high school. You just have to not swap to something that's WILDLY different. The scope and sequence are different within many algebra 1 programs but most of them will prepare a student for most of the algebra 2 programs. Changing mid-year is much more likely to cause issues.

I'd start researching geometry and algebra 2 programs now to find one you and she can live with, and I think your idea of doing both over 2 years is great.

For the spiral, am I right that she forgets stuff when she hasn't seen it in a while?

I actually think you could make a more mastery-based program (such as lial's) work for you as follows:

Do chapter 1.

Do chapter 2.

Do chapter 1 review problems.

Do chapter 3.

Do chapter 2 review problems.

Do chapter 1 test.

etc.

It would take longer to finish that way because you might have to do some reteaching, but it would help to add in more review.

I think you've got the right idea - but she needs a very tight spiral. She would need to systematically review things from much further back (chapters) than just a lesson or two before. I would need to be able to generate, perhaps, worksheets throughout the year that will help her apply those things.

Unless, of course, I could review some of it naturally with math based science courses?

I really really wouldn't switch away in the middle of a program that's working now.

You don't have to follow the same approach all through high school. You just have to not swap to something that's WILDLY different. The scope and sequence are different within many algebra 1 programs but most of them will prepare a student for most of the algebra 2 programs. Changing mid-year is much more likely to cause issues.

I'd start researching geometry and algebra 2 programs now to find one you and she can live with, and I think your idea of doing both over 2 years is great.

For the spiral, am I right that she forgets stuff when she hasn't seen it in a while?

I actually think you could make a more mastery-based program (such as lial's) work for you as follows:

Do chapter 1.

Do chapter 2.

Do chapter 1 review problems.

Do chapter 3.

Do chapter 2 review problems.

Do chapter 1 test.

etc.

It would take longer to finish that way because you might have to do some reteaching, but it would help to add in more review.

I like Kiana's idea for scheduling the chapter reviews in a mastery text.

As for Jacobs geometry, the Set 1 exercises for each lesson are a little spiral review, just like he has in his algebra 1 text. It also includes an algebra review section at the end of each chapter. I only have the second edition.

I like the layout, but I have no idea what CLE looks like so I cannot compare. It is mostly black and white with a little red font here and there for emphasis, such as statements of theorems. Like many texts of this vintage, the font is not large and text is grouped together, which allows for some white space, but not as much as, say, a workbook of course. I don't know of a sample on-line. I would probably try to hunt down a sample before buying though the geometry is less expensive than the algebra. The 2nd ed. is supposedly more proof-heavy than the 3rd edition and there may be other differences as well.

Following this thread with interest since we are in a similar situation, just a bit behind you, Aimee.  I do have Jacobs Algebra and Dolciani but not Lial.  

I don't have any Geometry books besides Geometry A Guided Inquiry by Chakerian/Crabill/Stein, but I do like this textbook so far.  The pages look similar to CLE to me (although it is one big textbook not the Light Units that DD and I love) and it seems to have quite a bit of review built in, along with physical projects you can do to help solidify the concepts.  I am considering using this text with DD but doing what others suggested and doing Algebra II at the same time.  (Not certain yet which Algebra II to use).  I haven't done anything with Geometry in several decades, though, so I may not know what I am talking about.  I just really have liked the way it words explanations and the look and layout don't seem so intimidating, KWIM?  

I don't know about you, Aimee, but besides the incredibly tight spiral in CLE, DD does well with the fact that the pages in CLE are not cluttered.  Very clean, there is space between problems, MANY things are reviewed in every lesson but you aren't bombarded with zillions of problems for each review topic, and each level comes with 10 unit books.  DD loves that.  Every time she finishes a unit book she feels like she is making progress.  And the units are not super thick.  They are like the Key to...series workbooks, only there are ten, not four.

I so, so wish the Light Units continued into higher level math, but the suggestions here so far might work for us as well.  Good luck, Aimee!  

I am right there with you - maybe even MORE than the spiral, she NEEDS that uncluttered "white space". Thanks for the geometry book mention - that sounds fabulous.

I'm actually looking at AOPS for algebra II (I think it's still the Intro to Algebra book), just because I think the discovery method would her remember things more than any other "mastery based" program would (we've tried several and all have been flops, often because for whatever reason so many seems SO cluttered!). Since I'm not in any rush, and I'm cool with taking geo and algebra II over two years, it might work okay. 

Following this thread with interest since we are in a similar situation, just a bit behind you, Aimee.  I do have Jacobs Algebra and Dolciani but not Lial.  

I don't have any Geometry books besides Geometry A Guided Inquiry by Chakerian/Crabill/Stein, but I do like this textbook so far.  The pages look similar to CLE to me (although it is one big textbook not the Light Units that DD and I love) and it seems to have quite a bit of review built in, along with physical projects you can do to help solidify the concepts.  I am considering using this text with DD but doing what others suggested and doing Algebra II at the same time.  (Not certain yet which Algebra II to use).  I haven't done anything with Geometry in several decades, though, so I may not know what I am talking about.  I just really have liked the way it words explanations and the look and layout don't seem so intimidating, KWIM?  

I don't know about you, Aimee, but besides the incredibly tight spiral in CLE, DD does well with the fact that the pages in CLE are not cluttered.  Very clean, there is space between problems, MANY things are reviewed in every lesson but you aren't bombarded with zillions of problems for each review topic, and each level comes with 10 unit books.  DD loves that.  Every time she finishes a unit book she feels like she is making progress.  And the units are not super thick.  They are like the Key to...series workbooks, only there are ten, not four.

I so, so wish the Light Units continued into higher level math, but the suggestions here so far might work for us as well.  Good luck, Aimee!