Menu

Dehydrating fruits at home--cost effective?

Jennifer132

Ignoring the start up cost of getting a dehydrator, can anyone speak to whether it is actually cheaper to dehydrate fruits and make jerky at home? We buy at least 1-2 bags of craisins or raisins at Sams every two weeks. With a dehydrator, I'm hoping to make my own dried fruit, with more variety and hopefully save money. So, does anyone know? Is it actually cheaper to dry fruits (any kind) at home? My dd also uses jerky in her oral motor/speech therapy. And I heard that in some models you can make yogurt, which I am already doing using the crockpot and oven with the light on.

Raisins, no way unless you have a prolific grape vine! I did a bag of grapes that were past eating prime and came up with a sad handful of raisins. Craisins are sweetened, and I'd guess they're similar to raisins in cost effectiveness. A bag of cranberries is $2? That wouldn't make $2 worth of Craisins.

Jerky is cost effective plus it tastes so much better! Your house will smell like a giant piece of jerky and your dogs will be out of their minds. ;) I have used flank steak from Costco to make great jerky. Freeze it for 20-30 mins and it slices much more easily.

Raisins, no way unless you have a prolific grape vine! I did a bag of grapes that were past eating prime and came up with a sad handful of raisins. Craisins are sweetened, and I'd guess they're similar to raisins in cost effectiveness. A bag of cranberries is $2? That wouldn't make $2 worth of Craisins.

Jerky is cost effective plus it tastes so much better! Your house will smell like a giant piece of jerky and your dogs will be out of their minds. ;) I have used flank steak from Costco to make great jerky. Freeze it for 20-30 mins and it slices much more easily.

We don't care for deer meat so much and a friend where we used to live would always give us some frozen deer meat at the start of the next season (to clean out his freezer). My dh learned how to make jerky with it using our food dehydrator. It was so good!

Sorry, I don't think we ever used it for fruit. Mushrooms a couple of times and other vegetables, I can't remember what though. We usually freeze our fruit.

It's cheaper for grocers and markets to ship and store dried fruit than fresh...raisins and dried apples don't usually bruise or rot. So that higher expense of moving the fresh fruit is usually passed on to you, unless it is abundant in season or local. So most of the time it is cheaper to buy dried (per piece of fruit not per pound!). Growing your own, buying in bulk, or picking at farms would likely make it cheaper.

We only dry fruits that we get free and our Xcalibur was given to us, too. If you factor in cost (when having to purchase fruit) and time/effort (it's something of an effort to make dried fruit, it's not just plug in and go), then you might not find it worth it.  Yes, we love our dried apples and plums, but it takes a bit of time to prep them and then you have to monitor them for the couple of days it takes to dry them, pulling out ones that are done before others, turning them, etc.  We have six kids at home so we have to dry a lot to have for snacking.  I personally probably wouldn't do it if it were up to just me.  Thankfully, this summer, my kids got the dried fruit and fruit leather going. 

Some people don't mind the effort and that's great. 

We did it for awhile with our own fruit, but it is a lot of work and you have to keep on it.  I only did apples though and our trees are gone now.  

Considering the time involved and that I would have to buy fruit, I now buy dried fruit in bulk through my co-op.  It is unsulfured, and it's worth it to me.

Different direction, but drying herbs is something that we still do.  There really is a difference in taste. 

I was given an apple peeler/corer that automatically cuts it into spirals so that is great for the dehydrator . 

Yes, these are great for the dehydrator.  I agree.  There's still having to watch over the process for a couple of days, but nicely uniform slices helps with apples. 

It is much cheaper for us, but we have far more fruit growing in our backyard than we could possibly eat in season.  I can't imagine purchasing fruit for the dehydrator.

As others have said, Crasins aren't just dried cranberries but contain soluble corn fiber, sugar, glycerin, and Sucralose.  You won't be able to make them in a healthy way at home.  There are 29 grams of sugar in a 1/4 cup serving of Crasins.  In comparison, a Snickers bar contains only 27.

Do you have local orchards or farms?  If you pick your own produce, it might be inexpensive enough to dehydrate.  

I love my dehydrator.  We use it for mushrooms, fruit, dog treats, and more.

Depends on how much you pay yourself. ;~)

I think it's worth making jam and drying etc. as a hobby but in terms of replacing prepared foods, I've realized that I would have to be basically making the wages of someone who didn't graduate from high school to say that I was making that money back. Of course if you use it as an educational project that's different. But just the labor itself is ridiculously expensive on such a small scale.