Menu

If you've cut way back on plastics (particularly in kitchen and bath products) share your how-to's please?

Halftime Hope

We've been quite unhappy with plastic food containers etching, and now I've a great reason to try to eliminate as much plastic as I can from my life.

Whatever you've got in practical ways to reduce exposure to plastic I'd love to hear!  I'm especially stumped when it comes to toiletries--nearly everything is packaged in plastics

Thanks a million!

ETA: share your favorite non-plastic products, too, please.

For the kitchen I converted almost all of our storage to glass. Mason jars and snapware. The snapware has plastic lids.

I have kept plastic in the bathroom because they don't break when you drop them. We use bar soap instead of body wash. If I was truly motivated I would switch to shampoo bars instead of bottles.

kitchen was easy.  We have glass storage for leftovers.  As I buy more I am able to use it better like putting stuff that comes in plastic into glass.  

I don't like shampoo bars.  I tried them multiple times from different sources.  So yes, the shampoo/conditioner is in plastic bottles.  My face toner comes in glass already.  

I agree that so many products come in plastic...and really, not sure how some of those could be in another type of container.  Unless you were making your own(like toothpaste).  We try.  Far from perfect, but what we can change, we do. 

I hesitate to share this blog because it is really extreme on the no-plastic thing, but she's been blogging for years and has come up with non-plastic alternatives for just about everything (including toothbrushes).  If you dig around on her site you can find suggestions for so much more than you thought possible. 

My Plastic-Free Life.

She also wrote a book about going plastic-free.

agree with others....we use glass in the kitchen.  In fact, I'm about to add some glass storage containers to the kitchen.  But, the bathroom is another thing all together.  I don't want glass containers in the shower.  Just too slippery and I'm concerned the glass will get dropped or knocked over and break into bunches of pieces on the tile.  So, I haven't solved the storage problem in the bathroom yet. 

I've concentrated on kitchenware, since that where extreme temperatures tend to break down the plastic.  We switched all plastic water bottles to LL Bean's stainless steel reusable bottles, minimize our use of plastic wrap, and replaced all our plasticware/storage containers with glass.

Asperagus jars fit into car cup holders on most newer cars. We use those a lot and it has removed the quick fast food or the sports bottle.

In the bathroom we have a small shelf with vintage, regular mouth, Ball jars. None of them have lids except the mouthwash and lotion, so they are easy to find at Goodwill. Buying them new is not cost effective and the glass is less durable, which is why I mention the vintage. They contain q tips, comb/brush/tweezers, mouthwash, floss, and lotion. Though this does not eliminate the original purchase of the mouthwash container, it is not stored in the plastic. The floss was purchased in bulk from our old dentist years ago so no little plastic containers. I do have to periodically cut giant stretches off and wind it for the jar. Both the comb and brush are metal and cost just short of a fortune so they live in the jar and better darn return there! Lotion comes in a large glass jar as well.

Laundry soap we make ourselves from Fels Naptha, Borax, and washing soda. All of those come in either paper or cardboard. Borax is my go to bathroom cleaner - it does everything! Vinegar I get in glass jars and is the only other thing I use due to sensitive skin. Laundry hamper is wicker. No more paper towels, just a stack of rags, so no plastic packaging there either.

Dr. Bronner soap I make into liquid form for the dishes so no plastic there. Though I have not found shampoo my husband will use so plastic still in the shower. Toothbrushes are still plastic as well.

What do people do for lunch containers?  I mean something where you'd bring leftovers to work and heat them up?  I tried glass, but DH had a mishap.  It gets too hot in the microwave.  It just turned out to be terribly impractical and even dangerous.  At home we can use pot holders.  He doesn't want to bring pot holders to work (not that I blame him). 

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  I'm going to go do a touch and feel run at Container store today to see what they have.  (I probably won't buy there, as I'm trying to do this inexpensively, but I may have to buy a couple of expensive flat rectangular containers that will fit dh's lunch cooler.)  The Wecks canning jars look wonderful and heavy: I may get those in a couple of sizes off Amazon or some other place that had them by the dozen.

Hubby is interested in this, too, thankfully, because the etching plastic into his food bothers him.  The problem is that glass is *so* heavy, and you can't microwave metal.  But we'll get SS for his ice and water drinks. 

Costco has some KeVita drinks that just solved my glass bottles problem for drinks inexpensively.  :-)  I just won't fill them full, and I'll ignore the plastic lids.

Anyone have a shampoo bar they really like? 

Covered Pyrex bowls in all sizes and mason jars are great for storage. If you are a coffee drinker, consider your coffee maker. Hot water into plastic on a daily basis = not good! I have. SS electric tea kettle and use french press or chemex (glass pour over)

What do people do for lunch containers?  I mean something where you'd bring leftovers to work and heat them up?  I tried glass, but DH had a mishap.  It gets too hot in the microwave.  It just turned out to be terribly impractical and even dangerous.  At home we can use pot holders.  He doesn't want to bring pot holders to work (not that I blame him). 

Even among plastic there is recycled plastic and plain plastic. And here are glass containers in a silicone sleeve:

https://www.lifefactory.com/product/1-cup-glass-food-storage-with-silicone-sleeve-orange?gclid=CNnzy-qWw8ECFU5ufgod7aEAlQ

Even among plastic there is recycled plastic and plain plastic. And here are glass containers in a silicone sleeve:

https://www.lifefactory.com/product/1-cup-glass-food-storage-with-silicone-sleeve-orange?gclid=CNnzy-qWw8ECFU5ufgod7aEAlQ

Oh I like that.  That would work. 

I really liked the glass containers.  They don't stain and get all scratched up.  But they get hot in the microwave.  Too hot. 

Another glass jar user here in the kitchen (and for some things in the bathroom too). 

For water bottles, I got dd a glass water bottle for college. She likes it. I don't know if you're against silicone though. This bottle has a silicone sleeve.

Well, look at that! That's the same company that makes the H2O bottle I got for dd for college that I linked to Amazon above (not a referral link, btw). I never thought of seeing what else they make. Thanks!

Oh I like that.  That would work. 

I really liked the glass containers.  They don't stain and get all scratched up.  But they get hot in the microwave.  Too hot. 

The sleeve should make it a little easier to grab the container since silicone can be subjected to heat but does not heat up much. I don't have a microwave anymore so I am not sure how these would do in the microwave.

Dd doesn't have access for reheating food (at school), so she just takes an insulated, stainless steel Thermos with food that has already been heated up in the morning before leaving home. It really helps if you preheat the Thermos by putting hot water in for about 10 minutes, then dump the water, dry the inside & add your hot food. It does have a plastic lid. When I need to replace it, I will probably go with a Kleen Kanteen one (has a silicone seal, but otherwise is stainless steel).

Now I just wish I could find some rectangular insulated storage containers like that! (Does anyone know of any?)

We also use reusable sandwich wrappers & pockets for carrying things like sandwiches, carrots, cookies, etc... -- basically dry or fairly dry items. I ordered those from etsy.

I'm not having much luck with google...

We did a CSA this year and if I didn't keep lettuce and some other things wrapped tight in plastic it didn't last at all. I used zippered bags and reused them but I'd like to find a non plastic alternative.

Any ideas?

The Zero Waste Home website recommends these:

http://astore.amazon.com/zerowastehomestore-20/detail/B000SQUM4K

I haven't tried the produce bags.

Even so, if you're getting organic veggies, they won't last as long as the chemical-laden ones, though.

The Zero Waste Home website recommends these:

http://astore.amazon.com/zerowastehomestore-20/detail/B000SQUM4K

I haven't tried the produce bags.

Even so, if you're getting organic veggies, they won't last as long as the chemical-laden ones, though.

Actually my freshly picked organic veg in my CSA box lasts much longer than conventional from the grocery which has been in storage who knows how long.

I made some muslin sacks for some of my CSA storage, things like potatoes or heads of cabbage.  But I fear that the greens do dry out if not in a plastic sack.  And if your CSA is like mine, there are times when the box contains a heck of a lot of greens, food that will not be used immediately.

I saw a tutorial on line for taking muslin and treating it with beeswax to make a safe waterproof cloth. Haven't tried it though.

Dd doesn't have access for reheating food (at school), so she just takes an insulated, stainless steel Thermos with food that has already been heated up in the morning before leaving home. It really helps if you preheat the Thermos by putting hot water in for about 10 minutes, then dump the water, dry the inside & add your hot food. It does have a plastic lid. When I need to replace it, I will probably go with a Kleen Kanteen one (has a silicone seal, but otherwise is stainless steel).

Now I just wish I could find some rectangular insulated storage containers like that! (Does anyone know of any?)

We also use reusable sandwich wrappers & pockets for carrying things like sandwiches, carrots, cookies, etc... -- basically dry or fairly dry items. I ordered those from etsy.

Yeah that would not work.  That would be adding more work for me.  I don't need more work.   LOL

When I was in school I used something like that since there was no way to heat up food. 

For the PP who wanted something her husband could heat at work, yet not get burned by the hot glass: I touched and held these today.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversGlass?productId=10036774

The glass was heavy and strong, and the seal was tight.   Silicone is supposed to leach chemicals when it is hot, so I think I would take the lid off and put a paper towel over it when heating it.

I had seen a YouTube video of someone dropping one of these (on purpose) and it remained intact.

I like these a bit better than the lifefactory ones, as it is shallower and broader (not rounded), about the size of a typical sandwich baggie. 

The floss was purchased in bulk from our old dentist years ago so no little plastic containers. I do have to periodically cut giant stretches off and wind it for the jar. Both the comb and brush are metal and cost just short of a fortune so they live in the jar and better darn return there!

I can't visualize your floss setup. I would love to see a photo, if you can share.

Is the metal brush your hair brush? Does it work well? Please share a link to the comb and brush if it is anywhere online.

Thanks!

I'm starting to switch our plastic containers to glass.  As for the bathroom, well, glass is dangerous with a toddler (And a tween.  And a husband).  I do keep the q-tips and cotton balls in glass containers, but they still come in plastic packaging.  

The biggest change we've made has been in paper products.  I always use reusable bags for shopping, and we have cut way back on paper.  I cut up a bunch of the large flour sack towels into 4 pieces, and fold them in half.  They are stacked on the counter, and we use them for cleaning up spills, wiping down the tables, counters, and light cleaning.  We use all cloth napkins too.  I use all white, so I can soak them together (in non-chlorine bleach), before washing them.  We have a small trash can in the kitchen where we toss them after they've been used.  I do keep a roll of recycled paper towels in the kitchen, but we almost never use them.  We went from using 1 roll a week to maybe 1 roll every month and a half, if that.  I buy recycled toilet tissue (either the Trader Joe's brand or Marcell brand-make sure not to get the single ply).

I have a glass water bottle that I carry with me everywhere, but the boys still have plastic, because, well, boys.  I think the important thing is to start with small steps, rather than try to do it all at once.  Too many changes at one time can become overwhelming, especially to your family who might think you've lost your mind.  Ask me how I know.

I got two big boxes of Pyrex food keepers for Christmas. I keep a couple ice cream buckets and a handful of random containers like peanut butter jars and sour cream containers for the kids to do stuff like put worms and snails in or feed cats in, but if I run short of containers, I clean out the fridge rather than pack foods in plastic.

Also, for the freezer, I use Ziploc baggies, and for stuff like veggies and cheeses.

For lunches, lots of folks here have stainless steel like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Food-Containers-Carrier/dp/B00CQ7IA5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414120200&sr=8-1&keywords=stainless+steel+tiffin

and a variety of other containers. If you go to amazon and look for stainless steel bento or stainless steel lunch containers you should find quite a lot.

I am lucky enough to have an entire store that sells 'green' products of all kinds near my house. They have a large variety of stainless steel lunch containers.

Speaking of floss, we bought a water pick.  Wow.  Way better than stupid floss.

I'm seeing ads for water picks here and meant to check online for reviews. In what way is it better? What are the maintenance costs? Please share details.

Of course, it is still plastic, right?

Actually my freshly picked organic veg in my CSA box lasts much longer than conventional from the grocery which has been in storage who knows how long.

I made some muslin sacks for some of my CSA storage, things like potatoes or heads of cabbage.  But I fear that the greens do dry out if not in a plastic sack.  And if your CSA is like mine, there are times when the box contains a heck of a lot of greens, food that will not be used immediately.

I saw a tutorial on line for taking muslin and treating it with beeswax to make a safe waterproof cloth. Haven't tried it though.

I wrap my lettuces and celery in aluminum foil. It really does seem to last much longer than in plastic. Some people wrap them in a damp towel first, but I haven't found that to make any difference.

I use Mason jars for most food/kitchen items.  This started due to an infestation of pantry pests, but I love it.  I bought several cases of jars and now I just recycle them when containers are empty.  I put cereals, grains and flours in them.  I also use them in the fridge to store things. I recently used a large Mason jar to store fresh cut pineapple in the fridge.  I almost never use plastic storage containers anymore.

We also use stainless steel water bottles.

For the kitchen, an inexpensive way to convert to glass is to repurpose glass jars from salsa and peanut butter for storage. Those products have jars with mouths that are the same size as the rest of the jar, eliminating the bottle neck effect of jars such as those containing pasta sauce. The wide mouth with no bottle neck makes it easy to put leftovers in and take them out again.

My DD is really big into the potholder weaving looms (Harrisville brand that uses real cotton loops not the cheapie nylon ones)  so she made one in his favorite colors.  Since she made it for him, it doesn't bother him to use that potholder at work and so he takes glass containers with his lunch (we use the pyrex or anchor hocking 4 cup round containers - they do have plastic lids but I never fill them to the top so it's rare the food touches plastic).  Otherwise I would probably buy some type of stainless steel container for transporting purposes but then they would either neither a glass or paper plate to heat the food on. 

DH takes a cloth napkin in his lunch bag with the glass container. He uses the napkin to pull the container out of the microwave. The cloth napkin goes back in the bag with the container after lunch. If he didn't have the cloth napkin, I'd think he could just use a couple of paper towels or napkins.