Menu

Well...at least I got a year or so. Right?

LisaKinVA

A job back home...a big promotion...opened up for my husband, the renters gave notice, and my head is spinning. There is a lot to consider, and some things to research a bit first, but the more we drill down on all of this, the more it feels like we'll be back in Virginia next spring.

I wanted 5 years here...but I'm not sure we can afford to turn this down. We'd still refinance the house in December, but move back into our house upon returning. That would eliminate the tax liability when we sell our house in a few years to move to Norfolk. Meanwhile, we would get a nice pay raise every year for the next three years, putting us in a better financial position.

Never a dull moment!

What a whirlwind! Congratulations on dh's job offer!

The job hasn't officially been announced. But the person my husband trained to replace him has left, and the direct supervisor has left (promotion opportunity), and dh has the most direct experience for the job. He is going to call a few people back in the home office when he gets back from this week's trip to get a better feel for everything.

We knew there were going to be these opportunities opening up, but this was at least a year earlier than either of us expected. Coupled with our tenants leaving...just seems like a path has been clearly laid out. We could simply not apply, and wait for another one to open up, but this is really the job dh would prefer to have.

Sounds like it's a very sweet deal!  Congrats!

A job back home...a big promotion...opened up for my husband, the renters gave notice, and my head is spinning. There is a lot to consider, and some things to research a bit first, but the more we drill down on all of this, the more it feels like we'll be back in Virginia next spring.

I wanted 5 years here...but I'm not sure we can afford to turn this down. We'd still refinance the house in December, but move back into our house upon returning. That would eliminate the tax liability when we sell our house in a few years to move to Norfolk. Meanwhile, we would get a nice pay raise every year for the next three years, putting us in a better financial position.

Never a dull moment!

Am I the only one who read the thread title and thought you had a terminal illness?

So glad I was wrong!

Oh Wow!  Sorry...that didn't even cross my mind!

Although...moving 3x in 4 years may have me questioning my sanity, I don't think it's life threatening.

We should have a lot more information in the next 7-10 days (my husband is TDY again right now...funny how this happens!  News drops, and before we can sit down and really talk about it, he's whisked off somewhere without me!)

Oh Wow!  Sorry...that didn't even cross my mind!

Although...moving 3x in 4 years may have me questioning my sanity, I don't think it's life threatening.

We should have a lot more information in the next 7-10 days (my husband is TDY again right now...funny how this happens!  News drops, and before we can sit down and really talk about it, he's whisked off somewhere without me!)

I moved five times in the last three years. Yes, at this point, I am indeed certifiably insane.

Move #1--Dh's job change led us from the big city to the suburbs.

Move #2--Three weeks after we moved, when I had nearly everything unpacked and was giving serious thought to hanging pictures, we learned there was a HUGE friable asbestos problem in the basement. Packed everything and moved in a Really Big Hurry. Lost a bunch of stuff that was stored in the asbestos basement.

Move #3--Dh's corporation decided to kill his branch of the business. Dh was able to secure a better job in another state.Crammed our worldly goods into a pod. Kids and I moved in with the in-laws, and dh moved to the new state.

Move #4--Kids and I emptied the pod and joined dh in our new state of residence.

Move #5--Life in our new state is great, and we disliked our rental home. Time to buy. We now have just over an acre with woods and a creek, a far cry from our tiny, noisy lot in the city. Thinking about getting chickens in the spring.

So yes, living and schooling through all the moving chaos is ridiculous. It is hard. However, you will know you are moving in a positive direction. If you do indeed come back to the US, I'd say to scrap your formal schooling and go crazy with the field trips while you still can.

Keep us posted . . .

• 2 weeks later...