Menu

DD wants to major in Theatre

Michelle_NC

I have a question about helping a child get into a performing arts program.

My dd is a junior this year and would like to major in Theatre.  I'm all for it but also wondering if she's at the level to be accepted into a university-level program - do students have to be fairly proficient when they arrive as Freshmen or do they look at potential? 

She's done a number of short workshops/summer camps in elementary and middle school and took Honors Drama in 10th grade as well as Theatre Tech.  "A" in both classes but I would imagine that's based more on effort than performance level. She didn't perform in the school play last year but did help with the technical aspects.  We're homeschooling for her last 2 years of high school, so she no longer has access to the school's performing arts program (or the school play).  My personal opinion is that she has potential but needs more formal training.

What is the best way to proceed and how intensely does she need to work on this before going to college?  She's looking at UNC-Chapel Hill and Appalachian State as her top choices.

Thanks!

Michelle

Just from a quick glance at their sites, she should be in pretty good shape for those two choices.

It doesn't look like Chapel Hill requires auditions for their undergrad program, so she would just need to be admitted to the school. 

Appalachian does not require auditions for freshman year, but then you do have yearly auditions and other requirements. This would let her get some training and experience before her first official audition. 

I would certainly try to get her some experience before then, if only because the idea of theatre can be so much more enticing than the reality! Check for classes through parks and rec, auditions at community theatres, summer camps, and so on.

Is she interested in these schools even if she doesn't major in theatre? I wouldn't really encourage picking a school based on rather distant experiences, if she isn't able to participate in anything. If she likes the schools and also likes the fact that they have a theatre major, then that's fine. 

What about UNC SA?

One of dd's friends was accepted there for ballet, but they have a drama program. They require auditions. Since you are in NC you might want to put it on your list to visit.

Can she get involved in community theatre? There are several community theatre programs near me. She could try out for some shows and she could volunteer/intern with their tech. She could even look for tech work/volunteer/ intern opportunities at local venues--learning more about lighting and sound for the various acts that come through.

Both Katilac and Betty offered excellent advice already.There are certain programs that are considered especially prestigious or that have an especially great track record of turning out excellent, successful performers. Admission to those programs can be extremely competitive. However, there are plenty of theatre programs that do not require auditions, including some at well known colleges. 

My daughter has a degree in theatre with a minor in music from a college that does not require an audition for either program. She has some regrets about taking that path, to be honest. Although she is finding work and doing well, she feels that the training she received was not what she really needs to move forward. She is now in the first semester of a two-year, part-time acting program that she hopes will provide her with what she needs. 

My son applied to/auditioned for various colleges and programs last spring and was admitted to and/or awarded scholarships at nine of the 11 colleges. (At two of those, he was not admitted to the program of his choice, but was accepted to the college. One of those offered him a place in an alternate program.) 

Both had a fair amount of training and performance experience before going to college. 

It's not at all uncommon for students preparing to audition for college performing arts programs to get professional coaching for several months prior to auditions. A good teacher/coach can help a student select audition materials, rehearse monologues (and, for musical theatre programs, music and dance) and even offer advice about where to apply. We did not hire help for my son, except for a couple of sessions with one of his dance teachers to choreograph and rehearse a solo, mostly because we simply couldn't afford to do so. We felt okay about letting him prep independently in part because he wasn't applying to any terrifically competitive programs.

Betty's suggestion about community theatre is an excellent one. Each of my kids has done a ton of community theatre productions. Most were wonderful experiences. Participation is free, and productions are open to the entire community.