Menu

Misplacing/misjudging distances

If someone tends to set things partially off the edge of counters unknowingly, is this a visual thing?  I'm thinking cups, plates, etc.  When cleaning up an area, often one or two items which are in plain sight will be missed.  Also, there is a tendency to bump into edges of things as well which may or may not be related.

I am curious about this habit/these traits and figure the hive mind might have an idea of what to google to understand it more. :)

Possibly.  DS does this, although not nearly as badly now.  He has heterophoria.  His left eye drifts out of alignment with his right eye.  He has 20/15 vision so visual acuity is NOT the issue.  DS always seemed to have clutziness issues that DD never did.  It took 10 years and going to a Developmental Optometrist before the heterophoria was discovered and we started VT.  It has helped with the dropping/bumping/missed items.

Bingo, could be astigmatism or need for glasses.  Or could be developmental vision problems.  Or both.  Get the eyes checked by a good developmental optometrist, explain what's going on, and they can *screen* for the developmental stuff while giving you a scrip for glasses if that's the issue.  It's a 2-fer that way.  :)

COVD is where you find developmental optometrists.

And yes astigmatism could also be the problem.  totally agree.  I have astigmatism.  I hated having to do anything requiring  a lot of precision involving sight.  I had great fine motor skills, though, so if I could get good muscle memory going I was good in the end.  But yes, I missed things on counters, I bumped into edges of things, etc.  Worse now actually because my vision is fragmenting but I definitely had some issues with this as a child....

My glasses helped with my astigmatism, but it never actually 100% corrected the issue.  Just made it better.  But mine was an unusual astigmatism.  Now my glasses only help with driving.  They are pretty useless for closer in vision.  

I don't know for your situation.  Have you ever had your child get an evaluation through an Occupational Therapist?  On his eye exams, was he ever screened for developmental vision issues by a Developmental Optometrist?

Though it could also be a difficulty with spatial processing?

We have 2 things called: Proprioception and Exteroception.

With Proprioception, it forms an internal spatial conception of where our body, limbs, toes and fingers are.

Then with Exteroception (external), this forms an external spatial conception of where things are around us.

These work in combination, to concieve of how far things are away from us.

Where their can be a difficulty with either or both of these.

Though given the Astigmatism, I would ask when it was identified and the glasses provided?

As this could effect the development of External spatial perception ?

Which begins in the Cot and mobiles hanging above it.

Which the baby tries to hit or kick.

But Astigmatism could make it difficult to develop this External spatial perception?

Given that it effects the ability to focus on a point.

Then when the glasses are later supplied to correct the vision.

Exteroception wouldn't just suddenly turn on?

But would have to go a developmental process, that takes advantage of the corrected vision.

So that if the difficulties that you noted,  have been always been a problem?

Then it could be a Spatial problem?

If someone tends to set things partially off the edge of counters unknowingly, is this a visual thing?  I'm thinking cups, plates, etc.  When cleaning up an area, often one or two items which are in plain sight will be missed.  Also, there is a tendency to bump into edges of things as well which may or may not be related.

From what you said in a later reply, his vision has been corrected. Still, it's very likely a vision issue, but with visual skills, rather than visual acuity

When both eyes aren't working together properly, depth perception can be poor, or in severe cases, even nonexistent. Try closing one eye and navigating for a bit, or try hitting a ball, or catching one, with one eye closed and you'll soon be ducking out of the way because you just won't be able to judge where things are for sure.

As others have suggested, you should take your child to a developmental optometrist for an evaluation. Your regular OD is, unfortunately, not as likely to pick up on the problem.

Here's a page on my site you'll find useful if you're considering doing that: Find a Vision Therapy Provider

All the best,

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading