Menu

Great Librivox Readers

I adore the idea of Librivox, Loyal Books, ect but honestly half the time the readers are so terrible I can't listen. Worse than that they often change each chapter, so you can't even test out the first to see. My kids are burning through our library's offering pretty fast though...

Has anyone found any gems? I'm in the middle of Wuthering Heights on Loyal Books, for example, and the reader is consistent throughout and just wonderful.

I was using LibriVox for The Story of Mankind, and it flips between a Kara Shallenberg and a Michelle Crandall. I prefer Kara as she put a bit of a fun tone to her words where as Michelle was just dry. Unfortunately, this is the only audio book I've used so far, so I'm not much help, sorry!

I've got a fangirl crush on Karen Savage. Elizabeth Klett is also good. And whoever the chap is who reads 'Just So Stories.' He was funny!

Don't bother with the dramatised version of P&P. You don't want to listen to Mrs Bennet read in an Australian accent! :svengo:

Mary Reagan is good. She's in Around the World in 72 Days and North and South. She sounds...fun...light-hearted. 

My state's public radio, WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio), has something called Chapter-a-Day. Most of it is fairly new fiction, but they have some classics thrown in occasionally. They used to have a larger archive, but I think it's only a week or two right now.  My favorite reader from CaD is Karl Schmidt. He's in his 80s and has been doing it since he was at the University of Wisconsin. Great voice. 

The Big Treasury of Beatrix Potter on Librivox is pretty good.

BenHur on Librivox is excellent. It's done my Mark Smith so imagine that any other books that he's done would be good too. My children love this one.

Does anyone know of a good Pilgrim's Progress?

We like Mark Smith (currently listening to Around the World in Eighty Days) and Phil Chenevert (we enjoyed his Jungle Book, Just So Stories, and several others last winter). I only listen to books read by a 'solo' narrator, never collaborative. That just wouldn't work for my neurotic personality!

It's only a couple of chapters, but there is a reader in both Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of Greece named "Paradise Camouflage" who has the most gorgeous Scottish accent. I've looked and he read just a couple of other chapters randomly of books I was not familiar with.

Kara Shallenberg also has her own blog filled with audio recordings--kayray.org   We have loved her readings of the Melendy quartet, and The Dark is Rising series. 

My boys enjoy Adrian Praetzellis on Librivox;  my daughter enjoyed Phil Chenevert's reading of the Wizard of Oz.

I didn't see anyone answer this, so here you go. On the first page of LibrVox you can search by reader in the search box :)

And every reader has a link to a page listing all the readings they've done, and you can filter them by "solo" to find the books they read alone. I do this whenever I find a reader I like and download any books that seem interesting or that I know we'll love.

Thanks for asking! I've not liked the recordings I tried, and didn't want to download more if they were all like that. We have Moby Dick from Lit2Go, and that reader is EXcellent! I think our version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is from there as well also with an rxcellent narrator.

Kara Shallenberg also has her own blog filled with audio recordings--kayray.org   We have loved her readings of the Melendy quartet, and The Dark is Rising series. 

My boys enjoy Adrian Praetzellis on Librivox;  my daughter enjoyed Phil Chenevert's reading of the Wizard of Oz.

Ds8 also likes Phil Chenevert's reading of the Oz series.

Ds11 likes dramatized whenever possible (different characters), but definitely tries to look for a different version if the reader's voice is annoying or boring. Right now he's listening to White Fang, second version. I don't download, I iust stream them.

If we can't find anyone suitable (now we know about Loyal Books - thanks!), I read it out loud.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...