Menu

What is worth buying name brand? What things are worth the extra $ for you?

ScoutTN

Or to rephrase, for what items (anything - food, clothing household supplies, toiletries, electronics, tools, school items, craft supplies, toys....) have you found off brands or less expensive versions to be of such lesser quality that for you, they are not worth buying?

A few that come to mind of the top of my head are Oreos, ziploc bags, pencils and athletic shoes.

I am within 5 miles of an outlet. Name brands cost as much as house brand. My handbags are name brand because my hubby buys my favorite brand (French) off the outlet when we see a good deal. My backpacks have to have lifetime warranty because I kill backpacks.

My kids managed to kill their Ziploc sandwich bags. I had to buy the freezer type instead. For containers, my Rubbermaids has outlast my Ziplocs even though the Rubbermaids get more use and are only slightly pricier.

Shoes, I just go for whatever is comfortable and since I wear out the soles so fast, a $300 outlet pair of shoes would be wasted on me.

Pelikan pencil erasers are still my favorite. There are also some German brands like Braun Büffel (leather goods), Staedtler (drawing tools), Montblanc (pens) that I would buy over local brands.

My mother's Omega watch that she had since a teen is still working while I have killed quite a few Casio, Swatch and Timex watches.

reeces peanut butter cups.  I don't like the costco version (though I know people who do).  I can tell them apart.  I can also tell 7-up and sprite apart.  I do not like sprite - and have reached the point where if asked if sprite is okay - I say "no".

Tillamook or Breyers ice cream.

Kettle potato chips.

Daisy sour cream.

Franz hamburger/hotdog buns.

Trident fish sticks. (They actually contain visible fish.)

Burt's Bees peppermint scented chapstick. (Can't stand vanilla scented chapstick; makes me feel sick.)

Good brand rain gear: Columbia, REI, North Face, Arc'teryx, ect.

Same goes for ANY shoes. I have bad arches and have to wear orthotics in shoes that don't have enough arch support.

I know there are more.

Actually, I buy name brand almost exclusively.  There are very few things I would consider buying generic.  I buy brands I can trust to be consistently high quality because I hate having to throw stuff away because it broke, or it wore out, or it tasted funny, or it was watered down, or it fell apart, or simply didn't do what it was meant to do.  I buy name brand food, clothing, toiletries, electronics, household items.  I do buy some generic OTC medications.  

My dh is more likely to buy whatever is on sale.  Every once in awhile it works out.  But at least half the time, it ends up in the trash.  I don't have time to mess with that.  

Mayo must be Hellmans or Best Foods, hot sauce must be Siracha, toilet paper either charmin or cottonelle. No cheapo shoes, I have bad feet and the kids just tear through theirs (I've had pairs last less than two weeks). I prefer Tillamook cheese and Breyers ice cream.

ETA If I'm not homemaking spaghetti sauce it must be Prego.

My dh is more likely to buy whatever is on sale. Every once in awhile it works out. But at least half the time, it ends up in the trash. I don't have time to mess with that.

My hubby tends to buy whatever is on sale and we end up with mold culture since no one wants to eat except him. Now he buys what we like when he sees them on sale. For example if Pepperidge Farm Chessman is $2 or below, he would grab a few packs for us.

Peanut butter...can't stand it when the cheap ones have like a litre of oil floating on the top.

Wipes.. no name brands are not worth the mess or diaper rash and I always have to use a lot more to do the same job as Huggies.

Nutella...no need to explain lol.

Mayonaise

Or to rephrase, for what items (anything - food, clothing household supplies, toiletries, electronics, tools, school items, craft supplies, toys....) have you found off brands or less expensive versions to be of such lesser quality that for you, they are not worth buying?

A few that come to mind of the top of my head are Oreos, ziploc bags, pencils and athletic shoes.

I almost never buy off-brand products. Nope. I can tell the difference between store brands and name brands, and I've never found a store brand of anything that was worth the few pennies I might save.

Except mayonnaise. I make my own. Does that count as an "off-brand"? :laugh:

We're mostly brand snobs.  The generic/store brand things I buy are pretty much limited to ibuprofen, milk and some canned tomato products or canned beans that are going into soups or other things where any taste difference won't be obvious. Mostly I'm attracted to those because the store brand tends to contain less sodium than the name brands.

I am more concerned on what country it is made in. If it is a name brand cracker and made in China I will not buy it. In fact I will not buy any food made in China, and the only food I will buy that is made in an Asian country is Asian things like Soy Sauce. After finding out about the major pollution of the underground water table in Italy I will not buy any food made in Italy either... basically I try to buy only made in Australia food

Most feminine products.

My dh swears by Diamond Gusset Jeans. (And, yes they are pricey, but they're worth every penny. They wear like iron.)

Dawn Hand Renewal Dishwashing liquid...the only thing that keeps me from having dishpan hands.

Certain farm equipment. :)

My dh's quote: "You can save money on a lot of stuff, but don't skimp on the toilet paper!"

So yeah, it's Angel Soft for our family. (Charmin clogs our commodes.)

Speaking of which: Toilet innards. DON'T go cheap there!

Coca Cola, cheerios, miracle whip, feminine products.

Dh use to say apple jacks.  What he doesn't know is he has been eating the Save A Lot brand for years(with a few boxes of the real stuff thrown in when it was on sale.  I buy it, fill the cereal keeper and toss the box.  He has never made a comment.  I did buy some other off brand a couple times and he said "this isn't apple jacks". But SAL brand he hasn't noticed.

There are a few other things I prefer but $$ doesn't always allow so I have to get the store brand.  I have just figured out which store brands are the closest.

Nothing. I have no brand loyalty to anything lol. My Dh however, more than makes up for my cheapness. He only buys name brand, high end things. Clothing, shoes, computer/camera equipment, outdoor gear, gear for his work (he is a stunt man, so we buy gym pads, helmets, carabiners, harnesses, specialized ropes and stuff like that). I will say, he has much better fashion sense than I do, and since he buys high end things, I only get complimented on things he's bought me to wear. For example he got me a pair of cowgirl boots years ago, and I love them. They fit well, are tough as nails, and are cute! Any time I wear them, someone comments on them.

We balance each other out I suppose.

Most feminine products.

My dh swears by Diamond Gusset Jeans. (And, yes they are pricey, but they're worth every penny. They wear like iron.)

Dawn Hand Renewal Dishwashing liquid...the only thing that keeps me from having dishpan hands.

Certain farm equipment. :)

My dh's quote: "You can save money on a lot of stuff, but don't skimp on the toilet paper!"

So yeah, it's Angel Soft for our family. (Charmin clogs our commodes.)

Speaking of which: Toilet innards. DON'T go cheap there!

Oh I forgot about my Dawn Hand Renewal dish soap though I like lavender the best :)

We are a brand-specific family due to DS's allergies.  I have to call to discuss manufacturing practices, so once we find a brand we like, we stick with it unless they change something.  But some of the brands are store-brands.  Harris Teeter organic raspberry preserves, for one.  :)  Wegman's store brand in some items.  Enjoy Life products, Earth Balance.  Sunbutter.

And for me - coffee.  Camano Island Roasters.  Mmmmm.  I like some others, but that's the current favorite.

I'm not too picky about TP - we usually do Kirkland.  Paper towels are Kirkland, too.  

Shoes - no knock offs there, either.  I'll spend extra for good shoes.

Ticonderoga, Crayola, Charmin (though I get Charmin Basic), Always, Playtex, Dawn, Better Life cleaners, various name brand sneakers, Hefty garbage bags, Venus razors, Scottie tissues, Viva paper towels.  I think that's it for me.  Oh, I'm brand loyal on pet food.  We don't use paper or plastic products in large quantities, so I'm perfectly happy to pay for the better quality.

We've never had enough in the family budget to justify name-brand for much of anything.  (I've never seen anything where name-brand was only a few pennies higher.  It's usually a few quarters to a couple bucks!)  And now that WalMart's GreatValue brand has TP that's comparable to Charmin, that item is off my list.   ;)

Electronics are always name-brand.  Fabric is always quilt-shop quality.  Shoes, boots and work jeans are top-brand because they're expected to last a long time also.

For more common purchases, I buy name-brand coffee, pop, crayons, and cold-cuts, but that's about it.  I don't buy a lot of packaged food anyway, and there's really no brand loyalty for a bag of apples or a head of cabbage… lol

Crayola is a good one. In our case, we have to buy name brand items for a lot of food, because generics tend to contain tons of cross-contaminants which are unsafe for my child with food allergies.

EDT: we buy name brand pet food, to get away from wheat and other grains.

Yes, name brand Oreos. Just say no to the brand x.

I am particular about my chocolate and cheese, little else. Not much brand loyalty beyond specialty items, really, and then I'm just plain picky.

But it's almost time for the candy cane Jo Jo's! How can you say no to those???

I almost never buy off-brand products. Nope. I can tell the difference between store brands and name brands, and I've never found a store brand of anything that was worth the few pennies I might save.

Except mayonnaise. I make my own. Does that count as an "off-brand"? :laugh:

I'm convinced that brand name factories put the same stuff in off-brand jars, so I'm always on the quest to find the identical product for less money. Why pay more for noxema when the stuff next to it is the exact same product? I'm guessing there's an Internet site that points to these name brands dressed as generics, but I haven't investigated.

The Cheerios thing makes me mad because the alternatives I've tried were GMO-free but didn't taste as good. So I'm stuck with GMO corn or disappointing Os.

My box of Cheerios says 'Not made with genetically modified ingredients'.

Am I missing something?

Our budget is one that Aldi or other store brands make up most of our food purchases.  In fact last night we had frozen corn with dinner and it was GREAT.  I even doubled checked the bag thinking maybe it was a name brand I had bought on sale but nope, it was the Aldi brand.

I do buy Scott brand TP as that works well with our septic system.

I buy name brand athletic shoes and name brand cowboy and work boots as those get daily wear and heavy use here............now, I might buy them almost new at a used tack store for 25% of the normal cost but they are name brand.

Many of the my kids clothes are now name brand clothes but they were either bought on those 75% off sale with an extra 25% off type thing or from a local Thrift store.  I bought Chico Capris for myself this summer that were brand new, never even washed for $1.99 at Goodwill.

I won't buy Aldi peanut butter (haven't tried it in several years but last time we didnt' like it) but other than that, I am not overly fussy.

Too many things to count - there is a significant difference in taste and/or quality between store brands and name brands. Over the years we have tried everything with both store brand and brand name and usually settle on the brand name due to quality issues. I'd rather not have the seams on my zip lock bags break, so I go with the brand name, KWIM?