Menu

Grammar Reference Chart and beginning diagramming question

Thinking ahead to next year, my oldest (6th grade) will have completed Shurley Method. We'll move on to editing practice in 7th grade using IEW Fix it to keep grammar skills sharp. I would love to have a handy grammar reference chart to help him (and me!) to not forget all of the grammar concepts we've learned over the years.  Anyone have a recommendation for a good one? 

Secondly, I'd like to introduce diagramming to him next year. Shurley doesn't cover it, so I'll need  a good book to help with this. Any recommendations for just diagramming? 

You could have your ds make the reference chart as his final project for grammar this year. Emphasize that it should be beautiful enough to be proud to hang on the wall and carefully made enough to last until your next dc has to make theirs! This way all of the information is presented in the way he has learned it.

I like the idea of having your student create his own, but if you want a ready-made chart, might this Grammar Trivium Table from Classical Conversations work for you? There is Christian content (example sentences, particularly for the sentence patterns), if that matters to you. We use it in our CC Essentials classes, but I envision keeping it as a handy reference even after the class is complete.

http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/trtaengr.html

You could have your ds make the reference chart as his final project for grammar this year. Emphasize that it should be beautiful enough to be proud to hang on the wall and carefully made enough to last until your next dc has to make theirs! This way all of the information is presented in the way he has learned it.

Fabulous idea! He would certainly retain the info better if he made the chart. Thanks for the suggestion!! 

I like the idea of having your student create his own, but if you want a ready-made chart, might this Grammar Trivium Table from Classical Conversations work for you? There is Christian content (example sentences, particularly for the sentence patterns), if that matters to you. We use it in our CC Essentials classes, but I envision keeping it as a handy reference even after the class is complete.

http://www.classicalconversationsbooks.com/trtaengr.html

This is exactly what I was talking about. Didn't think to check CC. I may order this for myself AND have my son make his own chart.