Menu

Low glycemic index breakfasts that are quick

blondeviolin

Will you consider eating "dinner food" for breakfast? I ask because my husband considers it sacrilege to eat anything but cereal.muffins, toast, etc for breakfast.

But, if you aren't opposed why not try some stews, chili, stir-fry and the like?  I really have no desire for carbs for breakfast and would much rather grab a piece of ham left over from dinner or a bit of vegetables. Sometimes, on the weekend, I'll make a pot of beef stew (minus carrots and potatoes if you want low glycemic foods) and just keep it in the frig. In the morning I pop a serving in a bowl and put it in the microwave. Sometimes I'll do the same thing with stir-fry veggies and meat.  I also like curries. I'm not sure where coconut milk is on the index (I think coconut is a good guy????)  

I also like mini crustless quiche but that, of course, has eggs so may not work for you.

Maybe something will click if you think outside the typical breakfast box.

When I was younger and worked outside all day in the summer, I had to eat a big protien meal at breakfast. I usually ate leftover dinner. I also ate this way for breakfast when pregnant with ds.

cheeseburgers (without a bun), ham and cheese roll-ups, pork shoulder or beef roast cooked in the crock pot, beef or chx stock - homemade, tomato slices with bacon, cream cheese and green onion, grilled or baked chx - skin on and bone in, taco bowl with taco meat, cheese, salsa and sour cream.

I went through a whole year of having bone broth every workday morning for breakfast. Right now, I'm seeing how I do with a protein drink for breakfast. I'm trying Jay Robb brand with So Delicious coconut milk. It tastes great, but has only been a couple of days. I also have to do very low carb/glycemic and am not willing to get up early to make something for breakfast. For me, it has to be grab and go.

I make a big batch of tamari almonds, but just plain almonds would work as well. Just have a handful of those. Really can't be any easier.

If you like to count calories etc just portion out some in those little snack plastic bags and reuse the bags. I buy 2lbs of almonds, roast them myself, and then portion them out in 1oz servings.  Easy peasy. But I don't have to roast them.

Oatmeal with some protein that you like.  Milk, or peanuts (like my husband eats), or cheese.

Strawberries are medium-low GI also--the lowest of the fruits IIRC.

Now, oatmeal is not low CARB, but it is digested slowly so it's low GI.  That means that if you stay somewhat active after your meal it won't spike your blood sugar.

Another thought, if you want something really simple and quick:

You may have seen those P3 packs in the lunch meat section at the grocery store. They're prepackaged snack/meal with protein - meat, cheese, nuts. I've been known to occasionally buy the ones with the almonds as I can't do the ones with peanuts or cashews. But, instead of buying these, you could put little containers of these to grab and go with in the morning. Use whatever meat and cheese and nuts work for you.

Also, be careful if you try the oatmeal. It's definitely NOT something I can eat.

Fat and protein.  I like an avocado and a tomato diced with a couple of slices of oven-baked bacon.  If I'm still hungry after that, I might have some bread or cereal to fill up, but after eating all the other food it doesn't affect my blood sugar like it does if that's all I eat.