Menu

Follow up on your previous threads here...

athomeontheprairie

Some of you here come and post questions, or problems, or troubles, or sucesses. But then I never get the follow-up. Maybe I miss it. Maybe you don't post them. But sometimes, I feel like I "know" some of you and I really want to know how things turned out...

To the lady that was planning on seeing the lava flow... did you?

To the lady who (long long ago) told her kids she'd give them a dollar if they would give supporting statements on why they didn't need school to be in the circus, did that conversation EVER happen. I would have loved to have seen it :)

To the lady whose neighbor was showing movies in his backyard, what became of that?

There are others that have posted, some rather personal, that I'd really like to know how things have turned out...

So if you've asked for specific advice or said you were going to do something and forgot to come back and update the hive.... Please post below :)

I'll start...

Awhile ago I asked the Hive about going back to work part-time. The hive said not to, though some said it was possible. I've been back at work now for 2.5 months. It's been hard, school has fallen behind. I feel like I'm constantly running (though, we've also had random life things at the same time that may have contribuated to this). This will not be a permenate solution for our family. DH and I have already decided I'll work long enough to pay down some of our debt then leave in the new year. That gives us extra money over the holidays and will help relieve some finicail burden. And it lets me do the year end paperwork instead of a new person. Working has been great, kids have a part time job cleaning in town for some older ladies. We've been able to learn new computer skills (no computer at home), being able to see family 3 days a week: all good things. But work is stressful on our family and home.

As far as I know, I have nothing else to update :)

A few months ago I posted that my next door neighbor dug some hostas from my yard and planted them in his yard- dh and I caught him digging them up and when we went back into the house he finished the job.   I finally called a friend, who is the police chief, and he came and talked to the guy.  Neighbor has played pretty nicely since then, though I haven't talked to him because he never apologized. 

Karma has struck.  This guy's house was broken into one day early last month and some stuff was stolen.  He was telling dh about it and said he just can't understand why people take things that don't belong to them. Yes, neighbor, I totally feel the same way. 

Some of you here come and post questions, or problems, or troubles, or sucesses. But then I never get the follow-up. Maybe I miss it. Maybe you don't post them. But sometimes, I feel like I "know" some of you and I really want to know how things turned out...

To the lady that was planning on seeing the lava flow... did you?

The lava has slowed down quite a bit and remains a bit variable:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

It's not yet in a legal viewing area and might, or might not, get there.  We're still watching it via that website.

The slow down has been terrific for our schedule.  Hubby's been able to get to all his township meetings and had his wisdom teeth out (one of our medical issues we had to work around if it had been "on time").

We got up to see middle son at college on his fall break.

So other than a couple of other medical things... our schedule is more free now... we remain watching it, but aren't ready to pay for tickets until we know for sure that it's going to happen since it would deplete the fund for nothing if we missed.

The more it waits into the winter (EXCEPT not in Feb due to other "written in stone" plans we have!) the better it will be for us.  Not only is winter a great time to travel to HI, it's also hubby's slower time at work.

Thanks for asking - and for posting this thread as I'm also curious about a bunch of the answers!

If there's anything else I missed updating... someone will have to jog my memory.

A few months ago I posted that my next door neighbor dug some hostas from my yard and planted them in his yard- dh and I caught him digging them up and when we went back into the house he finished the job.   I finally called a friend, who is the police chief, and he came and talked to the guy.  Neighbor has played pretty nicely since then, though I haven't talked to him because he never apologized. 

Karma has struck.  This guy's house was broken into one day early last month and some stuff was stolen.  He was telling dh about it and said he just can't understand who people take things that don't belong to them. Yes, neighbor, I totally feel the same way. 

Did the burglar steal the hostas?

Did the burglar steal the hostas?

No, the burglar stole electronics.  Which is pretty funny because this guy has one ancient tv and a laptop. Nobody was home at our house that day and we have four tvs and four computers. A few video game systems,  a nice camera....

I actually didn't have to steal the hostas back because I mentioned the theft on Facebook and a couple of friends came over and replaced my hostas for me while I was out riding on the trail.  That was a sweet gesture from some sweet friends!

No, the burglar stole electronics. Which is pretty funny because this guy has one ancient tv and a laptop. Nobody was home at our house that day and we have four tvs and four computers. A few video game systems, a nice camera....

I actually didn't have to steal the hostas back because I mentioned the theft on Facebook and a couple of friends came over and replaced my hostas for me while I was out riding on the trail. That was a sweet gesture from some sweet friends!

The thing is, if he had asked, you could have divided the hostas this fall and given him some. Hostas split really well and the best time is fall and spring.

The thing is, if he had asked, you could have divided the hostas this fall and given him some. Hostas split really well and the best time is fall and spring.

That's kind of how it started. Dh mentioned that I was going to split the hostas- I want them to go on the other side of the house too and was going to DIVIDE them. So dh was talking to the neighbor and said I wanted to split them but that it got hot quickly and so I was going to wait until fall to do it. Neighbor thought that I meant I was going to SPLIT them with him- at least that's what he says- but I never talked to him about that at all, and dh had no intention of giving him anything. He just used the term 'split' instead of 'divided' which to dh meant the same thing. So that's how neighbor 'claims' he misunderstood. 

Let me back up a bit- the only reason dh had this conversation is because the neighbor was complaining that I need to do some yard work. So dh was telling him that I did have plans to do some things- split the hostas to improve the bed on the other side of the house.  Yeah, I was more than a little ticked that neighbor was telling dh that I need to do yard work and dh didn't immediately tell him to mind his own business.  Because dh thinks the yard looks just fine as it is. So why didn't he tell that guy to MHOB?

And that's the story of how my stash of quilt fabric has grown this summer.  Dh felt bad that he didn't tell the neighbor to kiss off, and spent a lovely afternoon ferrying me to quilt stores . And I let him.    

My DH had Melonma (Skin Cancer) he had surgery which I posted about - including a scary after picture with a big scar on his neck. All the cancer is gone. He still is weak in the area and can't lift, carry, or use the arm in anything but light activites. So that means he can easily work on his computer (He went back to work a week after the surgery), watch tv, read, ... But he can't mow the lawn, Collect wood for the winter, split the wood for winter, carry and move stuff around... In other words he doesn't have much chores and all the snow removal this winter will fall to me. :)

But I'm going to buy a snowblower. :):) :):)

Youngest who wasn't catching onto reading got a evalution done, http://www.soisystems.com/. Turns out he is gifted in some of the 26 areas tested, average on several, a little behind on some and his only big problem area is eye tracking. So happily he has only one big thing to work on.

I think that is all I have that I might catch people up on.

That big scar photo was impressive! I rarely show dh anything from here but I showed him that photo and he felt so bad for your dh. Can't wait to tell him the update- that your dh can go do the fun stuff- computer, tv, read, but not the dreaded chores. Hope your guy continues to heal well!

I did highlight my son's hair, but I can't even remember if I got to it before vacation. It doesn't matter in either case; he's too bloody good-looking for his own good.

My dd still does not put her clean clothes away and now I generally end up with two baskets of clean clothes on her bedroom floor. It drives me bonkers...if I look at it.

My brother got divorced. He has some legal problems as well and is awaiting a hearing.

Dh did not make ds wrestle this year, but he still annoys me very, very often by saying things in favor of wrestling. It irritates me to no end.

My ds in 9th grade was able to sign up for Intermediate Algebra, instead of having to start Alg I all over again. I am thankful the school accommodated him in this way, because he was soooo disappointed about not passing the placement for Alg II.

And now I have new questions to ask about my son's academics...

A month ago my dd was very late coming home from one of her first solo night drives. Dh totally freaked out. Lateness had to do with nervousness dealing an unexpected detour. Dh apologized. We got dd in the car again.

She's now driving on her own again. She takes herself to ballet a couple times a week. She drove home in the rain tonight. She'll leave home in 21 months. I'm glad she's going to get experience driving while still living here.

I successfully bleached my daughter's hair (just the bottom 3" or so) using the Manic Panic box set, and dyed it purple for the start of school.  She was thrilled!  The purple has since washed out and she has a nice ombre from brunette to blonde at the tips.  We'll try another color on it over the next couple of weeks.

I am curious what happened with Pippin's 100 pairs of band shoes.

For those of you who privately suggested a health update... I suppose I can put it on here.

Regarding the brain tumor, that's still in a "wait and see" period until Dec.  There have been a couple of times where I thought things were getting better, but each time I'd mention it to someone things changed later making me wonder about it, :glare:  so now I just plan to wait and let them tell me how I'm doing.  It's still a benign tumor, so shouldn't be a problem - the only potentially negative issue is its placement surrounding the left carotid artery.  If it were to close in around that, it wouldn't be a good thing.  Hopefully it's dead now though.  Time will tell.  I still get to hear my heartbeat often (it's louder than the TV news as I type, but a cold has set in probably affecting it).

The arm/carpal issue doesn't have much to update as I don't go back to see the doctor until next week.  I am in favor of steroid shots now - they've worked reasonably well allowing me to enjoy life considerably more.  However, they don't get rid of the radial nerve pain.  They do get rid of the lingering pain that used to come with using it.  I can now use the nerve and ignore the pain and it will go away after use.  It used to remain painful for a while.  It's a huge plus, BUT it's not quite as good if I drop the daily ibuprofen.

I still don't really think the median nerve damage is due to carpal tunnel as not enough matches, esp having talked with more people IRL who do have this issue.  I've ditched the night splints.  They made it worse.

So, the bottom line is that there is moderate median nerve damage as per the EMG, the potential start of ulnar nerve damage from the same test, and the radial nerve is the one that actually bothers me, but shouldn't according to the tests.  (I do get some numbness from the other two, but that doesn't bug me as much.)  The MRI shows issues, but supposedly not enough nor the right symptoms to explain it.  All blood tests came back fine (aside from inflammation, but those were expected numbers.)

That's the puzzle they're working with.  I've no idea where it goes from here.  At this point, I could live with things as they are with ibuprofen - it's not so much fun without it.  

Ds did invite Quirky to his birthday party, he did act kinda weird now and then, but there was so much other activity going on with the boys that it wasn't noticed.

Ds felt good about it, older ds didn't have to run too much interference, and most happily of all, Quirky had a marvelous time. Also, he didn't eat any more frogs. :)

For those of you who privately suggested a health update... I suppose I can put it on here.

Regarding the brain tumor, that's still in a "wait and see" period until Dec. There have been a couple of times where I thought things were getting better, but each time I'd mention it to someone things changed later making me wonder about it, :glare: so now I just plain to wait and let them tell me how I'm doing. It's still a benign tumor, so shouldn't be a problem - the only potentially negative issue is its placement surrounding the left carotid artery. If it were to close in around that, it wouldn't be a good thing. Hopefully it's dead now though. Time will tell. I still get to hear my heartbeat often (it's louder than the TV news as I type, but a cold has set in probably affecting it).

The arm/carpal issue doesn't have much to update as I don't go back to see the doctor until next week. I am in favor of steroid shots now - they've worked reasonably well allowing me to enjoy life considerably more. However, they don't get rid of the radial nerve pain. They do get rid of the lingering pain that used to come with using it. I can now use the nerve and ignore the pain and it will go away after use. It used to remain painful for a while. It's a huge plus, BUT it's not quite as good if I drop the daily ibuprofen.

I still don't really think the median nerve damage is due to carpal tunnel as not enough matches, esp having talked with more people IRL who do have this issue. I've ditched the night splints. They made it worse.

So, the bottom line is that there is moderate median nerve damage as per the EMG, the potential start of ulnar nerve damage from the same test, and the radial nerve is the one that actually bothers me, but shouldn't according to the tests. (I do get some numbness from the other two, but that doesn't bug me as much.) The MRI shows issues, but supposedly not enough nor the right symptoms to explain it. All blood tests came back fine (aside from inflammation, but those were expected numbers.)

That's the puzzle they're working with. I've no idea where it goes from here. At this point, I could live with things as they are with ibuprofen - it's not so much fun without it.

:grouphug:

At the beginning of the month, I posted that my DH asked if I knew our anniversary was on the 20th. No, I didn't remember it on the day either. He surprised me with a bouquet of cakes from a specialty shop. He laughed that I forgot, so all is well.

A bouquet of cakes????? That's the best gift ever, IMO! :001_wub:

Update from my most recent thread: we got a complete refund for both kids from the co-op, including the "non-refundable" supply fee and they are going to "review [their] procedures" (DS was, in fact, not on the special needs list).

I can't recall at the moment what my other situations I've posted about have been, but if anyone else can and wonders, I'm happy to update.

For anyone who helped advise me on euthanizing my cat, he's still with us. He's really, really skinny, but he's still getting around the house okay and likes to be next to us and purr a lot, so while we can see he's in decline, we're waiting until he stops eating altogether again. I originally was ticked at the vet for probably extending his pain with the various perk up methods, but now I feel grateful we got what looks like it will be another couple of months with him.

I'm trying to think if I've asked anything else, but I don't think so.

Regarding the brain tumor, that's still in a "wait and see" period until Dec.  There have been a couple of times where I thought things were getting better, but each time I'd mention it to someone things changed later making me wonder about it, :glare:  so now I just plan to wait and let them tell me how I'm doing.  It's still a benign tumor, so shouldn't be a problem - the only potentially negative issue is its placement surrounding the left carotid artery.  If it were to close in around that, it wouldn't be a good thing.  Hopefully it's dead now though.  Time will tell.  I still get to hear my heartbeat often (it's louder than the TV news as I type, but a cold has set in probably affecting it).

The arm/carpal issue doesn't have much to update as I don't go back to see the doctor until next week.  I am in favor of steroid shots now - they've worked reasonably well allowing me to enjoy life considerably more.  However, they don't get rid of the radial nerve pain.  They do get rid of the lingering pain that used to come with using it.  I can now use the nerve and ignore the pain and it will go away after use.  It used to remain painful for a while.  It's a huge plus, BUT it's not quite as good if I drop the daily ibuprofen.

I still don't really think the median nerve damage is due to carpal tunnel as not enough matches, esp having talked with more people IRL who do have this issue.  I've ditched the night splints.  They made it worse.

So, the bottom line is that there is moderate median nerve damage as per the EMG, the potential start of ulnar nerve damage from the same test, and the radial nerve is the one that actually bothers me, but shouldn't according to the tests.  (I do get some numbness from the other two, but that doesn't bug me as much.)  The MRI shows issues, but supposedly not enough nor the right symptoms to explain it.  All blood tests came back fine (aside from inflammation, but those were expected numbers.)

That's the puzzle they're working with.  I've no idea where it goes from here.  At this point, I could live with things as they are with ibuprofen - it's not so much fun without it.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Dh did not make ds wrestle this year, but he still annoys me very, very often by saying things in favor of wrestling. It irritates me to no end.

I do remember this thread and I am glad he has a break! Let the comments roll off like water off a duck's back. When nobody responds, he may switch to a different topic.  :)

Great thread!!!

I'd love to see photos of how BlsdMama's giant dining room turned out.

How is it going with PlateauMomma's long estranged bio-dad?

Did Halcyon finally get to the end of the annoying business partner saga?

And wasn't there a mom dealing with a crazed sidewalk lady?  There must be more to that story.

DS's new preschool is going great. His teacher is understanding and they are actually weaning him off the classroom supports. He sometimes talks about his other school and what happened there, but we just reassure him that it wasn't the place for him and he loves his school now.

I still hope to homeschool down the road but I need to know DH will recover fully from his on the job shoulder injury. It's been almost a year and he still has a lot of problems. He is on restricted hours and the doctors are not hopeful, so I stay working full time. Physical therapy says there is nothing more they can do and his pain is constant, which makes him grouchy. Fun times.

Crazy cat lady is still crazy. She continues to complain that my odd work schedule wakes her cats up. I just bought a new car that is super quiet, so now she is complaining about the headlights. I try to ignore her.

Oh, I know what I didn't update on. Hawaii! We decided not to go when his work first opens the new office. Part of me feels disappointed and sort of... I don't know, cowardly? That's too strong a word, but it's like we're doing the easiest thing instead of the thing that would be more adventurous. But if the new office goes forward as planned, which is still not 100%, but it looking likely, we should have another opportunity to transfer there for a time in the future and it could possibly be more on our own timetable instead of us being at the mercy of when they got everything together and needed people to head out.

I had a thread right after Labor Day asking for prayers for my BIL, Roger.

He had lost strength/movement in the left side of his body. He had a subdural hematoma from a concussion he got in July (a slow drip of blood turned into a clot that pushed his brain over 3cm).

His surgery was successful and he spent about 3 weeks in the hospital/rehab. He's home now, still going to therapy 5 days/week. He has almost full strength in his hip and leg and he's working on increasing strength in his arm (Drs. say the arm is always the last thing to recover).

He will make a full recovery and we're so thankful.