Menu

Bar cookies -- please post your favorite chocolate chip bar cookie recipe.

Kareni

1 1/2 c fine graham cracker crumbs

1/2 c melted butter

1 c chocolate chips

1 c butterscotch chips (I just use more chocolate chips)

1 1/3 c coconut flakes

1 c fine chopped nuts

1 can sweetened condensed milk

grease a 9 x 13 pan, add butter to graham cracker crumbs and make sure the layer is moistened, firm and flat.  then add rest of ingredients to pan in order listed.  drizzle the c.milk over the whole thing.

bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

We made some inadvertent bar cookies the other day. My son forgot to put in the extra 1 1/4 cup of flour into the chocolate chip cookies. They spread completely on our bar pan. I used the spatula to make squares and scooped them out. When they cooled, they were sooooo yummy. Well, if you like a butter/sugar barely held together by flour sort of thing. (I do.)

For the second batch, I left them on the pan to cool before I took them off, but when I tried to get them off, they had crisped up and I could only chip them off.

We bagged up the first batch, called them "Chocolate Chip Crisps" and sold them at the bake sale today at our co-op. The ones that crumbled on the pan, we kept and scarfed them up for breakfast. (We really couldn't resist.)

These aren't chocolate chip cookies, but they have chocolate chips in them.  But you have to like peanut butter.  They are sort of like a filling for a peanut butter cup.  But they require no baking!

Mix:

1 cup melted butter

1 3/4 cup graham cracker cumbs, but I use ginger snaps.  You could use just about any kind of cookie I guess.

1 cup creamy peanut butter

1-2 cups powdered sugar.  The orginal recipe called for like 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, which I think is crazy.  I add about 1 cup it is perfectly fine.

Spread that in a 9x13 pan or two 9" pans, or whatever fits your freezer best.  Spray the pans or line with parchment. 

In microwavable bowl mix  1 or more chocolate chips and 1 cup peanut butter.  Microwave till chocolate is melted. Pour on top of PB mix. 

Freeze till solid.  Flip out onto cutting board.  Cut into bar size pieces with pizza cutter.  Drop into ziplock freezer bag and store in freezer.  Eat frozen. So good.

Just about any drop cookie can be a bar cookie, you don't need a special bar recipe. Just press your cookie dough into a pan and bake it and then cut it into bars. NBD.

So, if you already have a chocolate chip cookie recipe you like, just use that. Or even the one on the back of the package.

:iagree:  This. I always make my cookie recipes into bars because I am lazy and don't like to fool with making the individual cookies. I even make no bakes this way instead of individual "drops." 

My eldest doesn't like brownies all that much. (???) So when I had a box of brownie mix, which wouldn't make her happy, and not enough ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies, which made us all unhappy I decided to get a bit crazy.

I made the brownie mix but then I took this recipe and halved it http://www.marthastewart.com/344840/soft-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies and then dropped blobs of it into the uncooked brownie batter then baked it.

It was a great day.

Clearly an unnatural child!

What a creative idea, slartibartfast.  Have you since repeated your creation by design since?

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Kareni

We have done it a few times since. She just doesn't like ALL chocolate of something. If it is cake she wants the cake or the icing not to be chocolate. She always tends to order vanilla ice cream. She likes chocolate but not chocolate overload.

Bar cookies are not as good as round cookies with their own properly baked edges and no gooey cuts. There! I said it!

Team Round Cookie!!!

I like round cookies, too.  I confess to being lazy and find making bar cookies to be less of an investment of time!

Regards,

Kareni

We have done it a few times since. She just doesn't like ALL chocolate of something. If it is cake she wants the cake or the icing not to be chocolate. She always tends to order vanilla ice cream. She likes chocolate but not chocolate overload.

I can appreciate that.  So, she'll presumably eat a chocolate chip cookie but not a chocolate chocolate chip cookie.  (I'd eat them both!)

Regards,

Kareni

My eldest doesn't like brownies all that much. (???) So when I had a box of brownie mix, which wouldn't make her happy, and not enough ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies, which made us all unhappy I decided to get a bit crazy.

I made the brownie mix but then I took this recipe and halved it http://www.marthastewart.com/344840/soft-and-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookies and then dropped blobs of it into the uncooked brownie batter then baked it.

It was a great day.

If you put Oreos in between the layers, you have slutty brownies: http://whatsgabycooking.com/slutty-brownies/

Guilty as charged!

I've learned something new today! Do you have a favorite recipe for a brookie?

Regards,

Kareni

I make a "one bowl brownie" recipe...the kind with unsweetened chocolate squares that makes a 13x9 recipes. I drop spoonfuls of the "toll house cookie" dough on top of the raw brownie batter. I kind of wing the amount. You want some brownie batter showing. I also push the cookie dough down a bit into the batter.

I don't use the entire recipe of toll house dough.

Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes until the brownies and cookies both are done.