Menu

Worried about ds and AoPS

My ds is working his way, very slowly so far, through AoPS prealgebra. He's had some struggles in chapter 1, but stuck with it, and generally gets most of his answers right. However, I am worried because some days it is very frustrating for him, and we're about to move into chapter 2, which I've heard, on these boards, is very difficult.

As long as he's getting most of the answers right, can I be correct in assuming he's "getting it"? Any advice for chapter two from those that have been through it? He does watch the videos, but we still hit sticky points.

I do want him to be challenged by math, but not to the point where he wants to give up, which he already felt once on chapter one, but then worked through it. Truthfully, I am second guessing this as his math curriculum, as much as I want to love it, and as much as he appears to be learning. Maybe I want to make things too easy for him?

If he is getting most of the answers right on the first try, he is doing very well :)  I'm on my second time through chapter 2 now and it has gone much easier the second time around.  I think this is because I fully understand everything in the chapter myself and I'm able to better explain the sticky parts.  I'm using AOPS with two very different kids.  One needs to learn how to face and embrace challenge - he also wants to go into a field that requires lots of math.  It took until chapter 11 or 12 in Pre-Algebra before I saw major changes in his ability to handle getting things wrong.  The other child is more of a natural fit for the curriculum and he has experienced much less frustration that my other kid.  

If he is getting most of the answers right on the first try, he is doing very well :)  I'm on my second time through chapter 2 now and it has gone much easier the second time around.  I think this is because I fully understand everything in the chapter myself and I'm able to better explain the sticky parts.  I'm using AOPS with two very different kids.  One needs to learn how to face and embrace challenge - he also wants to go into a field that requires lots of math.  It took until chapter 11 or 12 in Pre-Algebra before I saw major changes in his ability to handle getting things wrong.  The other child is more of a natural fit for the curriculum and he has experienced much less frustration that my other kid.  

Thank you. I feel more confident now. He's thinking of a career in a math heavy field, so having a challenging program is overall a good thing for him. Maybe it would help ME if I look through the chapter more thoroughly myself before we tackle it!

Thank you. I feel more confident now. He's thinking of a career in a math heavy field, so having a challenging program is overall a good thing for him. Maybe it would help ME if I look through the chapter more thoroughly myself before we tackle it!

I think this would be a very good idea. 

You do not need to take AoPS to pursue a more mathematically intensive field (science or engineering). You need strong math skills, but there are many solid math programs that will provide that (Singapore, Foersters, Dolciani to name a few). AoPS uses a discovery approach that will bring out the best in some students. There are others who prefer direct instruction--I'm one of them and I was still able to become both a math teacher and an engineer. Maybe AoPS will be a good fit for your child, but don't feel like it is the only way to teach or learn excellent math and problem solving skills. You don't need to jump ship after a chapter or two--I think there is a big leap from elementary math to algebraic thinking and I'm willing to give students a few months to adjust. But if it continues to be a struggle into second semester, I would look at whether other programs might be more enjoyable and effective for the way your child learns.

You do not need to take AoPS to pursue a more mathematically intensive field (science or engineering). You need strong math skills, but there are many solid math programs that will provide that (Singapore, Foersters, Dolciani to name a few). AoPS uses a discovery approach that will bring out the best in some students. There are others who prefer direct instruction--I'm one of them and I was still able to become both a math teacher and an engineer. Maybe AoPS will be a good fit for your child, but don't feel like it is the only way to teach or learn excellent math and problem solving skills. You don't need to jump ship after a chapter or two--I think there is a big leap from elementary math to algebraic thinking and I'm willing to give students a few months to adjust. But if it continues to be a struggle into second semester, I would look at whether other programs might be more enjoyable and effective for the way your child learns.

Exactly what I am thinking. He loves the discovery approach overall, but sometimes finds it frustrating, which I totally understand. We're sticking with it for now, but are willing to look at other options down the line (I'm thinking Jacobs or Dolciani if needed). It is definitely a big leap, but so far he's meeting the challenge well, just slowly.

At the end of the 3rd chapter, I am still trying to figure out if AoPS is the best fit for my dd... I think it is too soon to tell with your son. I have heard all the chapter 2 horror stories, but the 1st chapter was way worse, IMO. Good grief, can't we just say that multiplication is associative and move. on.? There were a couple good points in that chapter, but my dd and I both (we work side by side) struggled with it over all. It seemed to make easy concepts harder than needed. That isn't to say that chapter 2 was a breeze, but at least the pain seemed worthwhile in that chapter. ;) I would try for a little longer.

Exactly what I am thinking. He loves the discovery approach overall, but sometimes finds it frustrating, which I totally understand. We're sticking with it for now, but are willing to look at other options down the line (I'm thinking Jacobs or Dolciani if needed). It is definitely a big leap, but so far he's meeting the challenge well, just slowly.

The only comment I have is that ... if he falls behind a pace that has him doing algebra in 9th grade, geometry in 10th, etc., I would switch to a less challenging curriculum. 

Before that, if he loves the approach and sometimes finds it frustrating, I would still continue. 

I feel your pain, we banged our heads against the AoPS PreA wall for awhile.  Shannon is now on ch.2 of Jacobs Algebra and she really, really loves it.  It feels quite easy after her PreA journey through Jousting Armadillos and Zaccaro Real World Algebra.  

I realized that I wanted us to use AoPS just because I had a perception that it was the best/most challenging math program out there, and I think it just played on my competitive/wanting to give her the best prep sides (we won't speculate how much of which!), but once I let that go and focused on what she needed to learn best, I realized AoPS probably wasn't it.  Like you, I want challenge, but I also want her to feel mastery and make progress.  Jacobs is working very well.  I am coming to appreciate how well-designed the problem sets, are, leading you to discovering deeper aspects of the principles that are presented in a very brief but engaging way at the beginning of each lesson.  What is even more important, I find it super easy to understand, so that if she does struggle with anything, I can explain it.  Sometimes with AoPS I am like :confused:  :eek:  which isn't necessarily conducive to making things clearer to her . . . 

Not trying to talk you out of AoPS.  But just know that if you do switch, it will be ok!  I am feeling at peace with our math path, finally, and it is a good feeling!

ETA: we do supplement with Alcumus and will most likely supplement with challenge problems from AoPS Intro to Algebra - but as a go-deeper after the topic has been worked on via Jacob's method, not as an initial exposure.

Ds took For.Ev.Er on the first two chapters. I was going to bail. However, the issue was more with him fighting the text than the text not working. When I finally decided to talk to him about it, it was obvious to both of us that the issue was not AoPS. The issue was my son having to recognize that the answer was not going to be instant if he did not directly follow along with the authors Socratic questioning. By chapter three it was much better. By chapter4 he was flying through it. If I had not talked to him about it I do not know if that would have happened.

If it helps any, the book's questions are all laid out in the same basic manner. They are initially set up to require the student to know the process by which to come to an answer. Whatever process the kid wants, but get to an answer. Then they shift to concept. Knowing the process will not work unless the kid wants to brute force through the problem and that is frustrating. If they do not understand the concept it is aggravating and going back to review very much helps. If these problems come quickly but the first ones do not, then they just need either a more explicit process or more time to solidify their own with more problems to work. Once the student can decerning if it is process or concept that is the sticking point, they should be able. To eliminate most all the frustration from the problems being worked.

I feel your pain, we banged our heads against the AoPS PreA wall for awhile.  Shannon is now on ch.2 of Jacobs Algebra and she really, really loves it.  It feels quite easy after her PreA journey through Jousting Armadillos and Zaccaro Real World Algebra.  

I realized that I wanted us to use AoPS just because I had a perception that it was the best/most challenging math program out there, and I think it just played on my competitive/wanting to give her the best prep sides (we won't speculate how much of which!), but once I let that go and focused on what she needed to learn best, I realized AoPS probably wasn't it.  Like you, I want challenge, but I also want her to feel mastery and make progress.  Jacobs is working very well.  I am coming to appreciate how well-designed the problem sets, are, leading you to discovering deeper aspects of the principles that are presented in a very brief but engaging way at the beginning of each lesson.  What is even more important, I find it super easy to understand, so that if she does struggle with anything, I can explain it.  Sometimes with AoPS I am like :confused:  :eek:  which isn't necessarily conducive to making things clearer to her . . . 

Not trying to talk you out of AoPS.  But just know that if you do switch, it will be ok!  I am feeling at peace with our math path, finally, and it is a good feeling!

ETA: we do supplement with Alcumus and will most likely supplement with challenge problems from AoPS Intro to Algebra - but as a go-deeper after the topic has been worked on via Jacob's method, not as an initial exposure.

Ah yes. Sometimes I have a hard time explaining how things work in AoPS too. I actually have a copy of Jacobs Elementary Algebra coming through ILL, to see if it might be better. I figured looking at it couldn't hurt!

Ds took For.Ev.Er on the first two chapters. I was going to bail. However, the issue was more with him fighting the text than the text not working. When I finally decided to talk to him about it, it was obvious to both of us that the issue was not AoPS. The issue was my son having to recognize that the answer was not going to be instant if he did not directly follow along with the authors Socratic questioning. By chapter three it was much better. By chapter4 he was flying through it. If I had not talked to him about it I do not know if that would have happened.

If it helps any, the book's questions are all laid out in the same basic manner. They are initially set up to require the student to know the process by which to come to an answer. Whatever process the kid wants, but get to an answer. Then they shift to concept. Knowing the process will not work unless the kid wants to brute force through the problem and that is frustrating. If they do not understand the concept it is aggravating and going back to review very much helps. If these problems come quickly but the first ones do not, then they just need either a more explicit process or more time to solidify their own with more problems to work. Once the student can decerning if it is process or concept that is the sticking point, they should be able. To eliminate most all the frustration from the problems being worked.

That is helpful, and I am glad we're not the only ones that are soooo slow!

At the end of the 3rd chapter, I am still trying to figure out if AoPS is the best fit for my dd... I think it is too soon to tell with your son. I have heard all the chapter 2 horror stories, but the 1st chapter was way worse, IMO. Good grief, can't we just say that multiplication is associative and move. on.? There were a couple good points in that chapter, but my dd and I both (we work side by side) struggled with it over all. It seemed to make easy concepts harder than needed. That isn't to say that chapter 2 was a breeze, but at least the pain seemed worthwhile in that chapter. ;) I would try for a little longer.

That too. There have been a few points where my ds and I were saying "is that really all we're trying to do? Why is it done this way when it is so easy this way?"

All good points made.  After getting through a full year of AoPS Intro to Algebra with ds13 I came to a realization. While it was generally a good experience we would not be continuing with it for a variety of reasons.  

AoPS really did help him to further develop his ability to wrestle with difficult problems and work through his frustrations.  But upon reflection I think some of the problems are simply over the top.  Like Rose, I wanted him to have the most challenging math program to help him really grow in his problems solving skills.  Yet after looking at and working through some of the challenge problems I couldn't help but think some were totally ridiculous.  Sorry if this offend anyone.  I know some love every bit of it.  But I'm just being honest from my perspective.  Because some of the problems are so long and drawn out both of us felt the need for follow-up review work after completion.  He didn't feel he had enough practice in the fundamental principles.  So we went through most of TabletClass Algebra over the Summer as a review before starting Geometry this Fall.

I enjoyed math all through school and work in a STEM profession.  Yet I could see how AoPS could frustrate a child in a negative way as well.  That's not to say its all bad and I'm still glad he had the experience.  But I certainly don't see it as a necessity for entering a STEM career.  As was already mentioned there are plenty of other great programs including Dolciani, Foerster, etc...

This year ds13 is using Jurgensen for Geomtery with his online class which is an excellent text containing plenty of challenge.  After completing AoPS Algebra he has learned that long, hard struggling over difficult problems is 'sometimes' just par for the course.

Derek, thanks for sharing your experience.  My sense is that there are probably as many people who don't find AoPS a good fit as there are people who love it, but maybe we hear from the second group more? Maybe because the rest of us are embarrassed to admit it?  Anyway, your perspective -having used the book for a year and had success with it but then deciding to take a different path - is very enlightening.

My younger cried at times and survived (but he is my crybaby and cries for non-academic stuff too). As long as it is not so hard that your child end up hating math it should be ok.

AoPS really did help him to further develop his ability to wrestle with difficult problems and work through his frustrations.

"Struggling" through past year math competitions questions would probably achieve the same purpose for anyone who is not into the AoPS style :)

My kids don't love AoPS, they just dislike other texts more. Since they prefer to be self taught, I have to go with whatever is least hated.

I remember someone once saying that AoPS is really a critical thinking/problem solving program that uses math as its vehicle.  I also remember someone saying that for those that love and intuit math, using AoPS to further critical thinking and problem solving is fun and exciting.  That's been our experience here.   However, that said, I think critical thinking can be taught in thousands of ways and I don't think math has to be one of those ways.  For some kids, discovering and experimenting with math is their thing.  For other kids, it may be exploring a complex event in history, or doing a long and investigative science project or planning and executing an artistic masterpiece, or just troubleshooting a Lego build.  All involve logic, critical thinking and problem solving.  I look at AoPS as only one way, not the only way, to get there.  And there are certainly many other programs that offer great math.

When DD went through PreA last year, the first two chapters took us a long time.  As a PP said, the method takes some getting used to.  It took ME some getting used to.  We banged our heads, I questioned the program, she was frustrated and I wondered, why does it have to be like this??  We decided we would work through chapter 5 and if it still felt that hard and frustrating, we would move on to Dolciani.  During that time, I worked ahead of her.  I took someone's advice here and we worked the challenge problems as the mood/need struck.  I did not require them in every chapter.  

Then, I don't know why, but a lightbulb just went off.  She found her groove with HOW AoPS teaches and that made it exciting and "fun" for her to learn WHAT they teach.  Now we're in Intro to Alg and we work it with Alcumus and the videos.  She has friends on the Boards and they help and push each other.  I don't know if the math is "better" per se.  I'm not a mathematician so I'll leave that to the experts on this Board.  But I do know that DD's ability to struggle and overcome has grown leaps and bounds.  She's a perfectionist so learning how to fail has been a huge benefit.  And she's learning deep and wonderful things in a way she loves.  

That's her though, not her sister.  2ndDD tried Beast and HATED the discovery approach.  She said it made her feel "dumb."  We put a stop to that right away and went back to Math Mammoth where she is happily trucking along.

The jury is out for DS.  He's happy with Beast for now, but we'll see.

AoPS has been an interesting journey for us.  I don't know, after hanging around here for a few years, it seems like it clicks or it doesn't.  Maybe give it a certain timeframe and, if it doesn't work, move on, knowing that some of the best math minds in history never even heard of AoPS  :tongue_smilie:

Well, my ILL copy of Jacobs Elementary Algebra is on its way to my library branch! I am hoping it arrives by Saturday, because then I can have him try it/look at it next week, before we launch into chapter two of AoPS. We're also borrowing the Life of Fred prealgebra books from a friend. Ds used to use LoF, and loved it.

We'll see.....

Well, my ILL copy of Jacobs Elementary Algebra is on its way to my library branch! I am hoping it arrives by Saturday, because then I can have him try it/look at it next week, before we launch into chapter two of AoPS. 

FWIW, I would tend to separate the question of when and whether to use Jacobs from when and whether to use AoPS Prealgebra, because for the most part, they are covering different things/serve different purposes.  Even though Jacobs starts off gently and easily and covers some prealgebra up front, it is an algebra course, whereas AoPS (assuming we're still talking about the prealgebra book) is obviously not an algebra course.  It's just hard to compare the two.  I love them both for what they do.  I am more in favor of a full prealgebra course (say, for example, Dolciani or even Russian Math 6 with the addition of a couple topics) prior to Jacobs and then skating through the early parts of Jacobs quickly if warranted rather than skipping a prealgebra-ish course and going right to Jacobs.  I'm not sure why I feel this way...

One of my ds11s did AoPS Prealgebra when he was younger and struggled a lot in the first half, including some forays into Jacobs for a break when the going got tough, but we always ended up back with AoPS and he finished that book.  The Intro to Alg he didn't like quite as much as the Prealgebra text, maybe just because the topics themselves have a different flavor (algebra being more sequential, ds being extremely visual-spatial).  It's a long story, and we've used lots of resources along the way, but it seems the plan now is to finish out algebra 1 with Jacobs (at school), as much as I'd prefer him to just take the on-line AoPS alg 1 course and be done with it.  His twin brother, on the other hand, who also did most of AoPS Prealgebra at home but a year later and not quite the entire thing, is just starting algebra with Jacobs (at school) and I think it *should* be a perfect fit, considering his personality and particular situation.  I am allowing him to skip certain lessons/chapters in the first half that he already knows well.

The important thing is that a child learns how to grapple with difficult material. It doesn't matter where they get it from. It doesn't even have to be in math!

Some people I know who were very successful in STEM used only a basic math program ... but they spent a lot of time on music, languages, programming, logic, art ... and they picked up the perseverance there.

Don't get me wrong. I <3 AOPS and it's a great way to teach grappling. It's just not the only way.

Shannon, for whatever reason, was really grappling with combining percents.  She studied it last year, but got totally stumped by the Alcumus problems, just couldn't pass them.  She spent a week reviewing and working through percent problems (MM blue) and just passed the section in Alcumus.  She was so proud!  It definitely forced her to grapple, go back and fill in the holes, and master it before moving forward.  The experience, and the pride she felt in getting through it after struggling (because of struggling?) was invaluable.  

I totally agree that kids need to have that experience. In math, or in something!   You just have to figure out how to provide that for your individual kids.  For some, AoPS is it.  For others, the amt of grappling AoPS requires pushes it over the edge into frustration.  Every kid will be different, and I think a big part of the art of teaching math is keeping them as close to that place - challenged but not so frustrated that they shut down - as you can.  

We haven't found that challenge in Jacobs yet, but Jacobs is providing the solid, incremental, mastery/succes, a lot like MM did in the elementary years.  Looking outside that spine for challenges seems to work well for us.  For my younger, the combo of MM & BA is doing the same thing.  

I went through AOPS pre-algebra with my oldest, and now my younger one is taking it online and working with me on it.  I would say, in my opinion, you should definitely not make the call on whether it is right for you after a chapter or two.  I would say it took a good 5-6 chapters before my kids started "getting" it, and even enjoying it.  There were tears, there was a lot of hand holding.  We skipped some of the really tough challenge problems.  Some chapters, especially early on, were more direct instruction than discovery method - it says right in the front of the book that you can tailor this to the child you have.  The important thing is to not be a slave to the curriculum!  If some of the problems are ridiculous, skip them!  If they need help, work through some problems with them!  I have to say, for my own purposes, that sticking with it was the best thing I have done for them so far.  My oldest has totally blossomed - she can't get enough AOPS now - it's kind of taken over our lives LOL.  And there are still some problems we have to leave behind.  And that's ok. She takes all the classes online now, works totally on her own, and she decides when to pursue help on a difficult problem from her classmates or instructor.  

I totally agree with those above who say AOPS is not the only or best way to get "there."  It was the only and best way for US.  My only message is to give it a fair shot.  Oh, and the pace was painfully slow at first - my younger one actually dropped the class half way through, and then started over a month or so later.  But the pace picked up quite a bit as we went through.  So you can't really project how long it will take. 

Hope that helps.

Well the only "BTDT" I can offer is we started off with AoPs Pre A.  We did about half.  Then I went onto something else.  Then we did about half of AoPs alg 1.  We got a lot of stuff wrong.  It was frustrating as hell for the both of us (I worked along side my son).  I decided to try something else and I'm happy with the decision.  But BUT I found what we did do in AoPS helped so much.  I still find myself using the AoPS attitude with math (I don't know what else to call it).  So I don't feel as if it was wasted time.  It's hard to believe in a process that seems to result in more errors than not.  Many people (in the US) equate good grades with evidence of learning.  I'm not so sure that's really true.  I think we learn more from mistakes than acing stuff.  KWIM?

That all said, I agree that there is more than one way to get "there".  Wherever there is.  So if it's making your kid miserable find something else.  He did not waste his time on it either way. 

What I'm realizing is that when AOPS stops working, it's probably a sign something else is going on. DD started hitting walls last week, and looking at it from the outside, I realized why-both of us hit seasonal allergies, and we can't do AOPS on sinus medication! We had this exact same problem at the same point in AOPS PA, and looking back a year ago, I seriously considered dropping it as a bad fit, pushing through only because so many people I respected said it was great.

So, I'm thinking we'll take a few weeks off of AOPS and do other stuff until winter really takes hold (when DD's allergies will improve. Mine will be bad until after Christmas because of cinnamon and pine trees-if I get from Halloween to Christmas without needing an epipen and a rush to the ER, it's a great year)

• 4 weeks later...

To the OP -- how's your son doing now?  I wondered because we just started AOPS Pre-a this month.  Using the text, I am teaching him or doing the problems with him.  I have a visual-spatial kid who is very bright in math but hates it with a passion.  This year I started AOPS in hopes it was the curriculum for him to not hate math so much. 

We started Chapter 1 , last week and I never saw my son light with math and really get into as he does with this program.  Obvisously, we are only on Chapter 1 and I have been looking ahead at Chapter 2 and having anxiety attacks and hyperventalating :)  My dh and I both teach my ds on different days and dh LOVES this approach (he's gifted in math) and thinks this is a great program for our son.

I am looking for some hand-holding as I jump over the cliff and into AOPS :)  I am a linear-visual learner teaching a visual-spatial learner. BREATHE!

Yet after looking at and working through some of the challenge problems I couldn't help but think some were totally ridiculous.  Sorry if this offend anyone.

I feel the same way after looking and looking at the program for a while. It feels like it's trying entirely too hard to prove something (pun not intended).

That said, we will try a class, because I do not want my issues with the program to affect DS's math experience ;) But I am not going to be teaching or coaching it.. Some of these programs specifically targeting "gifted" or "accelerated" kids seem to be a bit... contrived. I can think of another program I felt similarly about.

I looked at Foersters algebra and actually sighed in relief. I can't wait for that one.

To the OP -- how's your son doing now?  I wondered because we just started AOPS Pre-a this month.  Using the text, I am teaching him or doing the problems with him.  I have a visual-spatial kid who is very bright in math but hates it with a passion.  This year I started AOPS in hopes it was the curriculum for him to not hate math so much. 

We started Chapter 1 , last week and I never saw my son light with math and really get into as he does with this program.  Obvisously, we are only on Chapter 1 and I have been looking ahead at Chapter 2 and having anxiety attacks and hyperventalating :)  My dh and I both teach my ds on different days and dh LOVES this approach (he's gifted in math) and thinks this is a great program for our son.

I am looking for some hand-holding as I jump over the cliff and into AOPS :)  I am a linear-visual learner teaching a visual-spatial learner. BREATHE!

Umm... we dropped AoPS :blushing:    :leaving:

He's working through Jacobs Elementary Algebra now instead, and LOVES it. Something about AoPS was just too frustrating for him. He is good at math generally, and this program made him feel like this... :banghead:

I feel the same way after looking and looking at the program for a while. It feels like it's trying entirely too hard to prove something (pun not intended).

That said, we will try a class, because I do not want my issues with the program to affect DS's math experience ;) But I am not going to be teaching or coaching it.. Some of these programs specifically targeting "gifted" or "accelerated" kids seem to be a bit... contrived. I can think of another program I felt similarly about.

I looked at Foersters algebra and actually sighed in relief. I can't wait for that one.

This is exactly how I felt/feel about Jacobs.

:tongue_smilie: ds11 wants to go back to Intro to Alg.  No more Jacobs.  Maybe the lesson here is that the first half of Jacobs should come before AoPS Prealgebra (which he has already done) and then the second half of Jacobs before Intro to Alg?  Not topically, just in terms of level of gentleness or something? Just thinking out loud (way too much of that today!  must get back on task!)

.  Maybe the lesson here is that the first half of Jacobs should come before AoPS Prealgebra (which he has already done) and then the second half of Jacobs before Intro to Alg?  Not topically, just in terms of level of gentleness or something? Just thinking out loud (way too much of that today!  must get back on task!)

I clearly do not know anything, but we seem to be doing something similar, and not due to careful planning on my part, just a quirk in our schedule. I need a class that starts mid year, and want to give Aops a whirl with no involvement from me, so: we are now completing a run through of pre-algebra with MM7a and Lial's, and will try the Aops pre-A 2 class in February, at which point he would have completed a full pre-A "year".

Obvisously, we are only on Chapter 1 and I have been looking ahead at Chapter 2 and having anxiety attacks and hyperventalating :)

!

My son completed chapter 2 without a single hiccup. It was almost effortless. I am telling you this because I too went hyperventilating over preA, started threads, delayed, delayed some more. Reading through "preA is scary and chapter two is the hardest chapter threads" made me feel a bit hopeless and almost had me convinced not to try the book. I can't tell you that your son will have the same experience as mine, but I just want to say that it is possible he will sail through it. Don't make other people's experiences yours. Wade in!

We are also just finishing up chapter 3, so back in my head I am still scared. :) shhhhhhhh

I'm so happy that you've found something that works for you guys!  Welcome to the tried-AoPS-and-ditched-it-for-Jacobs club!  We may just be a club of two, but we're happy!  :cheers2:

We are in the tried-AoPS-but-ditched-it-for-MEP club.  Any one want to join us?

Ruth in NZ

I never liked AoPs. But, I have not used it. I just did not like the samples. But this might be a case of not a good fit.

Jacob's Algebra is an excellent program. It was not a good fit for us. We are using Foresters now and loving it. I kept the Jacob's incase it is a great fit for a younger child when they get there.

I'm so happy that you've found something that works for you guys! Welcome to the tried-AoPS-and-ditched-it-for-Jacobs club! We may just be a club of two, but we're happy! :cheers2:

We are in this club! We tried AOPS for two chapters and ds was very frustrated. We did Dolciani Prealgebra and LOF Prealgebra. Then we did two weeks of Singapore DM 1A。finally we started Jacob's and he finished 6 chapters. We will continue with Jacob's. After we finish, I will have him do some Foerster Algebra 1 for a couple months.

Take my cracker jack opinion for what it is worth, but I don't know any former homeschooled and currently practicing scientists, doctors, or engineers who used AoPS - it wasn't around as an option!

Kids can be well prepared with any number of programs, and I'm completely unconvinced on the superiority of these materials in either rigor or quality for the VAST majority of students.

I agree AoPS is not the be-all end-all route to becoming an engineer.  And of course, AoPS was not around when I went to school.  However, I and many others did have an AoPS-like math education.  I was lucky to have a math teacher to prepped us with old AHSME exams and sprinkled challenging problems on his math tests.  We were all expected to take the AHSME for reals every year, too.  Those problem solving skills served me very well in college.  

But you're right, too.