Menu

CC: Prayers for my son, please

texasmama

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have wondered about sinus problems, too.  I feel sad that I gave my boy my migraines.  I hope they are not a lifelong battle for him.  Leaving for the doctor in 30 minutes.  We have taken him to the chiropractor three times this week, but this has not helped.  Usually, the chiropractor can provide significant relief for us.  Time for the medical folks.  I don't even know what can be done to halt it if it is a  week long unrelenting migraine.  I take Imitrex, but I don't think these drugs are used with kids.

I have wondered about sinus problems, too.  I feel sad that I gave my boy my migraines.  I hope they are not a lifelong battle for him.  Leaving for the doctor in 30 minutes.  We have taken him to the chiropractor three times this week, but this has not helped.  Usually, the chiropractor can provide significant relief for us.  Time for the medical folks.  I don't even know what can be done to halt it if it is a  week long unrelenting migraine.  I take Imitrex, but I don't think these drugs are used with kids.

Darn it. I was going to suggest chiropractor. Praying it's nothing chronic.

Back from the doctor.  She believes it is an unrelenting migraine.  He has classic symptoms.  He got a shot of Toradol.  (sp?)  I am continuing all the natural supports/supplements recommended by the chiropractor, and he will see a pediatric neurologist as soon as we can get it scheduled just to rule out the "zebras" (very unlikely that this is anything but a migraine) and come up with a plan to manage this on an ongoing basis.  My poor guy.  :(

Thank you for the prayers, hugs and support.  I am sad for my boy.

Time for the medical folks.  I don't even know what can be done to halt it if it is a  week long unrelenting migraine.  I take Imitrex, but I don't think these drugs are used with kids.

It depends on the age. My daughter started taking Imiterx at 13.  Hiwever it is off label for that age so we had to go to a neurologist for that type of treatment. Our family doctor wasn't comfortable with managing it in a pediatric patient.   She asls takes a daily medication to help prevent them that the neurologist prescribed as well.

All six of my children get them. One of them started as early as 4. Now that they are older, only 3 of them are bothered regularly by them. The others only get them occasionally.  

Migraines stink!  I'm on day 3 of one and I can finally move around without throbbing.  Your boy has my sympathy.

Just one more thought. Consider it or toss it - whatever works best for you.   I find that I am extremely sensitive to MSG.  So are my two youngest kids. For my youngest who didn't believe me, he kept track and discovered WalMart popcorn chicken is a guaranteed migraine. He now calls it Migraine-in-a-Cup. I can't have even the barest hint of soy sauce on my food. Guaranteed migraine.

MSG is in so very many things. You can be getting a huge dose of it without even knowing. Even things that don't say MSG contain it under hidden labels.  You could try limiting it ( or at least the worse offenders) and see if that helps lessen the attacks.

There are also several common foods that are triggers for some people. You can try limiting those as well.

Any of the food limits and eliminations can be done in conjunction with any medication your doctor prescribes.  It makes a huge difference with us.

Give him some caffeine.  Classic migraine treatment for kids is a mountain dew and some tylenol because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor.   Rubbing food-grade peppermint essential oil on the side of his face with the pain should help too.  Each thing should help relieve the pain 1-2 points on a ten point scale.

Aldi's has a sugar-free energy drink that helps a lot and isn't too expensive.  If you don't already have peppermint oil, most health food stores (or groceries with a large health food section) carry it, or I've bought some from herbalremedies.com and amazon before.

Sometimes sudafed helps a little too, if the migraine is exacerbated by fall allergies.  Obviously check with a pharmacist before giving him more meds now though.

To all who have offered suggestions and personal experience, thank you!  I am open to all suggestions at this point. 

He eats a pretty clean diet, and we avoid MSG (but he could get it in a restaurant).  We are also gluten free.  I will clean up his diet a bit more, though, because there is some junk in it. 

A huge trigger for him is barometric pressure changes, which is also a trigger for me.  He and I will often have migraines a day apart due to the weather.

I do have peppermint oil, and I have started him on the following supplements:  fish oil, B complex, chlorophyll, and Natural Calm magnesium.  The Natural Calm really decreases my migraine frequency.  Caffeine is a good idea, and although I knew that, it did not occur to me in the moment.  I am keeping him well-hydrated, too.

Jean, the doc told my guy to take 2 Aleves, I suppose because he is a child, though he weighs 120 pounds. 

The doc said that Imitrex is not given until age 18 (though one poster said it was used off label with her dd).  Elavil is used as a preventive.  I am very dependent on my Imitrex.

I can give him Benadryl at night because there are some allergic pollens floating around here (hello, ragweed).

I had a meeting with my pastor today, and he prayed for my guy while I was there.  My heart is heavy for my little guy.  He is such a joyful, fun, energetic kid usually, and he has dragged around moping and in pain for a week now.

I had a meeting with my pastor today, and he prayed for my guy while I was there.  My heart is heavy for my little guy.  He is such a joyful, fun, energetic kid usually, and he has dragged around moping and in pain for a week now.

I'm so glad you were able to have prayer w/your pastor. He will likely continue to pray for your son over the coming days.  

It's very hard to see our kids in pain and to not be able to make it go away completely.  I'm sure he knows you're doing your best for him.

He is a strapping lad at 12.  lol

ETA:  He's not even quite 12!  D'oh!

This is my youngest--120# just before he turned 12.  Solid boys.

After receiving toradol and Reglan via IV and getting some relief but not elimination of pain, he is being admitted. We will be here another 24 hours at least doing a DHE migraine protocol. We are at the children's hospital and in great hands. I will stay with him round the clock. Very grateful to be getting help. Thank you all for the concern and prayers!