Menu

Wobble Deck

The Wobble Deck was suggested by DS's old speech therapist. I finally had a little extra money and went ahead and got it. I love it. DS really had trouble controlling his body on it and seemed to enjoy it. I LOVE it. I had a friend over the day it arrived and she agreed that it was fun and great to help processing and balance. 

There is also a wobble deck extreme that looks like fun

I have one of those wobble decks - it is works just fine for quite heavy (myself) and also not hard to balance so quite doable for a 5 yo. Plus, it is  stable even when not balanced (you won't fall off of it).  

If you want something harder, I got the Reebok one at Target a while back for $15 - it's quite a bit more than that on Amazon right now but there are knockoffs for $12.  No game - but also a lot cheaper than the extreme.  This one however is not really stand-able on when tipped.

www.learningbreakthrough.com

I just went to an OT workshop, and they had this kind of balance board.  It has adjustable rockers, so you can make it harder or easier.  If someone needed one that could be made pretty easy, I think it would be good. 

They had a girl come and stand on it and read, and she said she liked it.  They said it is a way for kids who need a lot of movement to be still for reading and stuff. 

They also said for that purpose -- it is doing the same as a yoga ball or a one-legged stool (a milking stool).  I think the one-legged stools may be for kids who are more advanced in their balance but need the input, not as much for needing to learn to balance. 

Kind-of new stuff to me -- interesting workshop, though.  I think for someone who has good balance, the sport ones would be fine.  For someone who doesn't have good balance or you would just want them a little off-balance so that they can have that bit of concentration taken by the balancing (so that it helps them concentrate better) then I think the more basic one would be good.  That is the kind of thing they were saying. 

The game one looks really cool!

The problem with the game one for balance is that it is quite stable in the middle position.   It is more about control of which way to move it (as part of the game).  I think it also would be excellent for a child that really struggled with balance.   For a child that needs to balance to concentrate (or to add a bit of difficulty - something that helps my DD get 'solid' on something), it would not be the right choice imo.  I love the look of adjustable ones - but went for the cheap choice :)   (my wobble deck was found at  a garage sale too) 

The problem with the game one for balance is that it is quite stable in the middle position. It is more about control of which way to move it (as part of the game). I think it also would be excellent for a child that really struggled with balance. For a child that needs to balance to concentrate (or to add a bit of difficulty - something that helps my DD get 'solid' on something), it would not be the right choice imo. I love the look of adjustable ones - but went for the cheap choice :) (my wobble deck was found at a garage sale too)

You are aware this is the learning challenges board and that many kids here have trouble with processing and for some throwing in this amount of balance and it is incredibly hard for them.

My son struggled with this but has incredible balance in other areas.

I apologize if my comments seemed directed at you when I was stating my experience.to add information for the general readership -- my DD does have both processing and balance issues and I am a regular (albeit not prolific) contributor to this board.

Have you or your kiddos used the Reebok board with any exercise videos and what is the size?  I've seen them ranging in size from 12-16 inches. 

Have you or your kiddos used the Reebok board with any exercise videos and what is the size?  I've seen them ranging in size from 12-16 inches. 

I'm pretty sure our Reebok board is 16" - I'll have to dig out a tape measure to make sure.  I got it at Target a couple years back- no idea if they still have them though.

We've only used it for standing on and balancing - no fancy stuff.  DDstill needs to be by the couch or something to hold onto so she can  reach out when she needs to  (and I'm not much better sad to say). -- she started out by holding onto the couch the whole time.    We have all hard floors so it probably would be easier on carpet.  Huh! That makes me wonder if carpet would make the wobble deck harder rather than easier - it has a  1/4" raised line in the shape of a pentagon on the bottom which lies flat on the hard floor (vs. the rounded bottom piece on the Reebok board )  -- I bet that wouldn't lie so nicely on carpet as it does on hard floor.    (here's somebody's ebay pic that shows the bottom)

I must admit balance is fairly low down on my list for DD - too many other things to supplant it.   And once she was finally able to ride a bike, I have counted on that to keep her at least holding her own vs. working with her directly on balance.    Due to this thread I have put it back on the list to use when doing recall/memory work though.  And looking for some kind of exercise video is a good idea - knowing Reebok there must be a few out there.