Menu

Spanish...

DD really wants to learn Spanish since it is spoken by many where we live.  She will almost certainly need to speak Spanish to get a decent job here, too.  She also wants to use it as her Foreign Language credit when she hits High School which means moving beyond just Conversational Spanish at some point.

I am considering hiring a tutor for both of us for the remainder of this year for Conversational Spanish since I would like to learn, too.  I thought maybe it would be better to get her more familiar with Conversational Spanish first and through a native speaker, before she tried tackling a full blown Spanish course next year.  Any thoughts on that?

But I was also wondering what program we might use on the side that might incorporate a more tactile approach?  Is there such a thing?  Rosetta Stone is out.  She does not want tons of computer based material (although some is fine) and it isn't tactile.  As some here may or may not recall, she is dyslexic and she struggles with just auditory learning.  Even her native tongue is problematic.  She does so much better if she can see, touch and manipulate things as well as hearing them but as far as I know there is no Barton Reading and Spelling for Spanish. :)  Just wondering what else might be an option...

http://www.121spanish.com

These are affordable online tutors who will do a live Skype class and assign online textbook exercises.  You can adjust the balance as you wish (more conversation, more textbook).  We did a trial class and the guy was AWESOME.  Dd's issue was her terribly poor word retrieval and processing.  If your dd is able to converse at all, that's awesome and it gives her a foundation to build on.

Don't bother with RS.  (statement of utter bias, no experience)

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. By hands-on do you mean games? Here are a few ideas to pick and choose from.

Who Am I? game (¿Quien soy?) You could buy this game (in English) or find an online version to print out. Each person has a sheet of cartoon pictures like a year book page, and you ask basic questions to eliminate people and try figure out who the other person has chosen. Questions like, are they wearing glasses?

Similarly, you can modify the game Hedbandz. We had a basic list of questions in Spanish to refer to, and a limited set of choices. You pick a card, everyone else can see "what" you are and you ask questions to figure it out.

We played Twister and Red Light, Green Light

I want to use Rory's Story Cubes, but haven't yet.

The card version of Pictionary can work, but I don't remember exactly what we did. (blush)

BINGO?

Make some index word cards and build sentences?

Are these the kinds of things you have in mind?

For that matter Battleship would work for letters and numbers. You don't have to use war ships, you could use different vehicles, flower beds, fruit displays at a "grocery store", etc.

http://www.121spanish.com

These are affordable online tutors who will do a live Skype class and assign online textbook exercises.  You can adjust the balance as you wish (more conversation, more textbook).  We did a trial class and the guy was AWESOME.  Dd's issue was her terribly poor word retrieval and processing.  If your dd is able to converse at all, that's awesome and it gives her a foundation to build on.

Don't bother with RS.  (statement of utter bias, no experience)

I had not thought about on-line tutors...cool!  I will look into this.  Thanks, OhE!

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. By hands-on do you mean games? Here are a few ideas to pick and choose from.

Who Am I? game (¿Quien soy?) You could buy this game (in English) or find an online version to print out. Each person has a sheet of cartoon pictures like a year book page, and you ask basic questions to eliminate people and try figure out who the other person has chosen. Questions like, are they wearing glasses?

Similarly, you can modify the game Hedbandz. We had a basic list of questions in Spanish to refer to, and a limited set of choices. You pick a card, everyone else can see "what" you are and you ask questions to figure it out.

We played Twister and Red Light, Green Light

I want to use Rory's Story Cubes, but haven't yet.

The card version of Pictionary can work, but I don't remember exactly what we did. (blush)

BINGO?

Make some index word cards and build sentences?

Are these the kinds of things you have in mind?

For that matter Battleship would work for letters and numbers. You don't have to use war ships, you could use different vehicles, flower beds, fruit displays at a "grocery store", etc.

I love these ideas!  Way cool!