Menu

Self-Education Accountability Thread 10/20

Last week was a bit light for me at the end, due to a clingy, whiny three-year-old.  He's still showing some of that behavior, so my goals for this week may be too lofty:

C25K x 3

Yoga x 2

Reading rotation x 5

Khan Academy x 4

Audio lectures x 3

We are also supposed to have sunny and slightly cooler weather this week, so I'm hoping that we'll get some outside time.  What are the rest of you planning for this week?

Did Latin and Math today (only one page--I had to update Latin lesson cards), and fed my bees. Had a dream that they all got in the house last night and were clustered in the hall, and I was trying to suit up and couldn't find anything except my hood with the holes in it and sandals. I figured that meant they were out of food out there and unhappy about it. (I was correct on that count--only not too unhappy.)

I plan to spend the evening writing, and reading my history, and reviewing the sections on verbals in Transitive Vampire and taking notes. That's one part of speech I need to understand better. Might review the almighty clause, too.

We are starting to feel better from the flu, so I'm going to set a little goal of finishing chapter 9 in Wheelock's.  Hopefully by Thursday night, because that's when I'll meet with my Latin buddy if she feels up to it, but by the end of the week if I don't get it done by Thurs.

This week, largely infrastructure:

1. improve and cement my sleep.

2. get the boys' fall schooling written down somewhere, ideally have a daily and weekly schedule too.

3. exercise: 6 days of my workout would be ideal, at least 5; 5 days aerobics; 6 days full yoga to cement the sleep. 

4.  picking up my FlyLady routines :) 

5.  extra credit: get our memory work better organized. Okay, organized at all. 

6.  have a mellow and happy birthday for DH this Saturday!  he's a great fellow. 

actual thinking/self-ed:

1. finish "Choosing Civility" which is a bit surface so far, but worthwhile

2. make a first read through "The Culture of Disbelief".  That looks like a rewarding and thought-provoking read. 

3.  listen to a few NPRs; read this week's Christian Science Monitor

I plan to spend the evening writing, and reading my history, and reviewing the sections on verbals in Transitive Vampire and taking notes. That's one part of speech I need to understand better. Might review the almighty clause, too.

Verbals terrify me.  Good luck!!!

Or, as my go-to grammar coach Calvin once said, "Verbing weirds language."

I'm notorious for verbing nouns.

I have been away, so haven't done any maths, but I have a parcel waiting at the post office, and I think it's my books from AoPS! This week I have been logging driving hours - I am required to log a great many before I can even sit the test.

Today I finally accomplished something on my list!  I did Wk7Day2 of C25K, and listened to lecture #4 of the Historical Jesus course.  I've tried to do my reading multiple times in the past few days, and just.cannot.concentrate.  So, I gave myself a break and wrote it into my planner that I am taking the week off of self-ed reading.  We're struggling with getting a full day of school in this week as well - today was the first day that we succeeded.

I did work on Latin a bit last night.  Yay!  

Today ended up being unexpectedly full, and also I think I did too much yesterday overall, so today my body is reminding me that I'm still getting over the flu.  In other words, I am absolutely exhausted!  I don't know if I'll be able to keep my eyes open to do any Latin tonight.  My Latin buddy has other plans for tonight, so we are not meeting up.

Got through Latin and Algebra today. But the boys are about to beat me by finishing their CLE second unit before I finish my second Key to book. THIS is unacceptable! THIS means I will be working all weekend to catch up so that we finish together on Monday.

Other than that I plan to write tonight, and do a little history reading. I've been lagging, waiting for the boys to catch up to Crete, so now we are all going to be in the Minotaur's maze together. And I might conceivably get some materials together to paint frescoes in the spirit of things....

ETA: Taught the boys a lesson on transitive and intransitive verbs today. For some reason this makes me feel as though we have "arrived" in the grammar world.

Friend's toddler scribbled in my new textbook. I'm uncharacteristically irritated by this - probably because I was really loving leaving my books and pen out, to race through a few exercises whenever I had the opportunity.

The actual work is going well so far, though. I'll be tutoring my little brother and his friends next year (just regular highschool maths and sciences), so I'd like to move through my own algebra and geometry pretty quickly, to make sure I'm solid on it all by the time I'm helping others. Now that I have books, I can start scheduling, and set myself some more concrete goals!