Menu

Feedback on Athena's Academy SotW

I'm very motivated to get SotW vol. 4 DONE in one -the spring- semester. Has anyone done this successfully before? It really does take us a whole year to get through one book the way I typically do it. In fact, one year it took us a year & a half, which is why I'm a semester off. We didn't hs from the start, but we did begin at the beginning of SotW. The boys are 5th & 6th grades & I'm ready to move out of SotW, but I'd like to finish first. Has anyone used Athena's Academy? I noticed they are offering SotW4 this spring. Is it worthwhile? Are my kids too old? Any feedback? I just don't think I can get us through it that fast alone.

My DD has done the other Athena's academy classes and will do SOTW 4 this Spring. She was unable emotionally to do SOTW when we tried it by ourselves-it was too close to home and too emotional for her, but I think she'll do OK with the class.

The classes cover 2-3 chapters a week of reading and map work. There is a written assignment to be done on the class discussion board and you're supposed to respond to and discuss what others say with them. Everything else is optional-usually one or more crafts/activities, and lots of website extensions and other stuff, almost all online.  We get additional books from the library that DD reads on her own (she reads 2-3 hours a day by choice, so I don't assign extra reading. Just getting new books is enough for her). I would say DD spends about 5 hours a week on the AAA history, but she also really, really likes the online discussions and gets into the extras and crafts.

I don't think 5th-6th is too old, but it is probably at the high end of the age range for the class because the reading level requirements for SOTW are lower than many of the other AAA classes.

I would suggest registering as soon as it opens. I think the SOTW 3 class is pretty large by AAA standards, and if it's like last year, almost everyone will continue into SOTW 4.

T took SOTW 4 last spring. She enjoyed the class discussions and got a lot out of the class. She answered the essay questions every week and I think they add to the experience if you require your child to produce a well reasoned and well written post.

This year she's moved on to G3Online's Story of US classes and is enjoying those as well (possibly even more) than Athena's.