Menu

s/o How do you get your pleasure hormones?

creekland

Using this as a spin off from the talk to your kids about drugs thread:

My son was feeling down in college freshman year....and guess who produced a bottle of whiskey?  His closest friend, who has told me over the years that he didn't drink or consume drugs, and is in school for pre-med.  I suggested that next time he try to 'help' a friend, he could think of  the more traditional ways of producing seratonin, like skiing, or running.

I'm curious as to how YOU (not your family, but you) get your highs in life.  Please ignore TEA - while that is an important one, ;) it's not one I think should be promoted in and of itself to our offspring - esp if they aren't in a relationship!

For me, it's travel, hiking, & nature mostly.  I need to get outside and there are bonus points for great vistas of any sort from oceans to mountains to color in the trees, etc.  We recently spent far more time than most tourists enjoying the spray from Niagara Falls by being on the decking below the falls from Goat Island (Cave of the Winds).  The "rush" was so relaxing - so much stress relief.  Then the drive home was gorgeous considering the time of year.

Yet I know plenty of my IRL friends who would get bored with that.  There are many things my friends use that won't work for me too.  We're definitely all wired differently.  

What's yours?

Running, walking, reading, a glass of wine.  Spending quality time with good friends - my best friend lives 4 hours away (we lived in her city previously) and we try to spend a weekend a month at each other's homes.  We have much deeper conversations that way :)

Great question, Creekland!

I can agree with TammyinVA. A good, hard, gasping for air at the end RUN. It was so important for me in college that I would wake a friend up at five to go get one in at the track on campus before classes started. 

I found that time spent alone was important as well. I'd often take a walk in the gardens on campus at the end of a day just to hear silence for a while.

I'm guessing this is not the thread where you admit to indulging in a glass of wine? I average one to two glasses a month, but it's always a pleasant, unwinding type of experience for me. I get similar results from a cup of tea, the scent of Jasmine, and I've just taken up knitting, so I'm really enjoying that.

For more active fun, I dance about 8 hours a week. I also like to cook, eat, read, and talk about good food. I've recently put some effort into gardening and find that very rewarding. When the weather is nice, just getting outside and walking in fresh air does wonders. I hole up when it's cold and that's the worst time for me :-/

Hugging my three year old while he "tells" me all about life. I also love to sit on my back porch while my dh grills and I smell the fresh air and the grilling. :)

I play the piano for our church which totally relaxes me and I also love to play for my girls while they practice their voice lessons. So fun. I sing with them too. I love to sing.

Spending time in the Word really is my happy time and gives my spirit a lift and joy in my soul like no other.

Swimming. Lap swimming. Swimming/playing in the ocean.

I know a young woman who chose her undergrad institution because they had a ballet program. She didn't want to major in ballet, but she felt most relaxed in the ballet studio. Knowing that she was premed, she felt it was important to have that outlet available. I thought to know at 17 how to de-stress was just an amazing asset to have. It must have worked because this young woman is in her last year of medical school now.

Hard heavy workouts don't make me happy, but they do cut my anxiety level tremendously. So, I do them because I am a wreck otherwise. I prefer calm to jittery and anxious.

Roller skating. Running and biking. Weight training.

I like cooking and reading but it's not the same endorphin rush as exercising.

And honestly, for a college student I would assume at least some dating and sexual expression (be that chaste or not) would be part of helping stay in good spirits. Asking someone on a date, making a new friend. Don't flame me... I am not suggesting risky sexual activities here! Just saying sexuality is age appropriate for young adults.

A good run.

A clean kitchen.

Homemade cinnamon rolls.  Or chocolate chip cookies.  (when I was first low-carbing this summer, I felt like life just wasn't worth living without warm ccc's.)

A sweet deal in the clearance section.

Being able to play through a difficult part of a song (violin).

Roller skating. Running and biking. Weight training.

I like cooking and reading but it's not the same endorphin rush as exercising.

And honestly, for a college student I would assume at least some dating and sexual expression (be that chaste or not) would be part of helping stay in good spirits. Asking someone on a date, making a new friend. Don't flame me... I am not suggesting risky sexual activities here! Just saying sexuality is age appropriate for young adults.

Hmm, another couple that are difficult for me to "like" due to excessive running, cleaning, cooking, etc.   :lol:

But I am enjoying seeing how we are all different and there are plenty of ways to offer suggestions for youngsters growing up so they can find ways suitable for themselves.

I'm sure I'm close to out of likes for the day at this point...

Golf. I love it. Im not very good but it's outdoors, quiet, fun, relaxing, and the walk is great. I read this thread earlier today I decided to just go golf. The weather was amazing, I haven't been on forever, and I'm so glad I went.

Thank you, sincerely, for the indirect encouragement to do something for me. I needed it. Thanks!!!

A clean kitchen.

I derive the most pleasure from a clean kitchen that I didn't have to clean. As a SAHM with a husband in school FT and working that doesn't happen all that much but it's all the more pleasurable when it does, lol. I clean the kitchen most everyday wondering why these short people who live here seem to want food every single day, more than once a day to boot. Funny how that works.

Playing classical music, particularly Bach, Chopin, Debussey....though most anything will work. My piano is my muse!

I also get a lot of satisfaction from quilting, and other creative outlets such as the custom florals I do for weddings. I'm working on some calla and tiger lily bouquets with los of bling that are really fun to see come together.

I love a good book, a good nature walk, swimming, time spent walking the beaches (Great Lakes region.)

But ultimately, classical music feeds my soul.

Classical music has that certain quality FaithManor talks about. While I cannot play an instrument, I love to listen to a classical piece or hear a good voice sing Puccini.

Mainly getting away from noise and screens, except noises of nature, seem to be revitalizing.

Chickens.  Seriously, I love to sit outside and watch my chickens scratch around in the yard.  Now that the rains have arrived, I'm spending more time looking out the window which isn't quite the same.

I've turned into a crazy chicken lady. :)

Chickens.  Seriously, I love to sit outside and watch my chickens scratch around in the yard.  Now that the rains have arrived, I'm spending more time looking out the window which isn't quite the same.

Watching my ponies in the field is similar for me - especially when the youngsters are running around and playing together.  It's very, very stress-relieving.  But as it gets colder, it's not the same either.  They still love it (probably more than when it's warmer), but me - not so much!

It isn't always the same for me. I have been in need of stress relievers lately...and I have been playing some classical music that I love, very loud, in the car while driving somewhere alone. Dvorak's New World, Beethoven's ninth and fifth symphonies, Handel's Water Music, Mozart's Requeim. I know nothing about classical music...all of this is based on just how it makes me feel, which is usually triumphant, free, alive.

I need to be alone sometimes to "realign" and alone time recently has been long drives, so I listen to music or stories that speak to me.

When I'm able I work out, usually with my dh, and that always feels good.

Honestly, in years past, crying was one stress-reliever, but I think that is best when you are in a temporary, very difficult and inescapable situation. It's just acknowledging the powerlessness to change things, then get on with it. When I was an intern, I used to cry while driving home almost every day. It wasn't a choice, really, but after awhile I accepted it because it sort of helped me shed off some of the stress of the day and feel like I'd left it behind by the time I was home.

More usual pursuits:

--hard exercise (sorry, creekland!)

--gardening

--planning a vacation

--reading a good book

Once-in-a-while activities:

--being in the mountains

--visiting a botanic garden with lots of time to wander and take notes and pictures

--taking an in-person class

--lounging near a pool with an adult beverage, watching my young adult and teen kids playing together

I think I get it from food more than anything. Not in an unhealthy way though.

And walking. I do about 1.5-2 + hours of walking most days.

And being fit. I love getting and staying fit.

And doing things that I love from reading to cooking to watching Netflix. Not sure if those things actually produce feel good hormones, but it does feel good.

More usual pursuits:

--hard exercise (sorry, creekland!)

--gardening

--planning a vacation

--reading a good book

Once-in-a-while activities:

--being in the mountains

--visiting a botanic garden with lots of time to wander and take notes and pictures

--taking an in-person class

--lounging near a pool with an adult beverage, watching my young adult and teen kids playing together

You listed other options... you're fine.  ;)

I used to get hard exercise in my college/military days.  I merely don't equate that with fun or pleasure, though I did enjoy the obstacle courses to be honest.  Those were a different challenge, but they weren't daily like the running was.

Running. I start feeling really good at the 30 minute mark, so I try to run for at least 45 minutes to get a good dose of the runner's high.

To a lesser extent, I feel good when I hike or bike, especially on a deliciously cool and sunny day.

Mountain views (and hiking among them).

And reading, especially deep, mind-absorbing study. I love to bury myself in a new topic and research it extensively. Curriculum planning works this way for me too.

It should be noted that our eldest ds enjoys life immensely by taking a long shower - long, as in there will be no hot water for anyone else type shower - and singing at the TOP OF HIS LUNGS! It's quite funny, very entertaining to the rest of us except his father who lectures him about the electrical bill! Poor kid, when he's paying for his own utilities I predict that his pleasure in life will be totally gone!

His many numbers from Phantom of the Opera are quite good when belted out from the shower. :lol:

It should be noted that our eldest ds enjoys life immensely by taking a long shower - long, as in there will be no hot water for anyone else type shower - and singing at the TOP OF HIS LUNGS! It's quite funny, very entertaining to the rest of us except his father who lectures him about the electrical bill! Poor kid, when he's paying for his own utilities I predict that his pleasure in life will be totally gone!

His many numbers from Phantom of the Opera are quite good when belted out from the shower. :lol:

Yes!  Showers!  

For me, because of my background, I think of them as "brain transforming" items. I tell clients that they need to pick from a list of brain-impacting activities that create and stimulate the natural production of healthy neurotransmitters, and be careful to have them in balance.

Mine now are:

1. Dark, almost bitter chocolate consumed with good coffee and "alone" while not doing any "work."
  2. Meditation
  3. Study (mostly spiritual)
  4. Helping other people, when it's NOT for pay
  5. Laughter

In that past:

1. Sex
  2. Exercise
  3. Spiritual experience
  4. Tournament poker

I actually want to add that a good day at work will leave me with a "high."  I enjoy working with kids and seeing the light bulb turn on when they "get" something, esp if they'd previously struggled with it.  I also enjoy the pure camaraderie with them and my co-workers - not just academic, but total life.

Since most days at work are good days - at least some portions - I suspect it's why I've stayed at the job for 15 years.  BUT, I need to be part time.  If I went full time, then it becomes more of a JOB.  While I still like it, it's not quite the same, probably because what would get added is many of the parts I don't care for (paperwork, meetings, etc).