Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW43

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 43 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Happy Birthday Ursula Le Guin:   Tuesday, October 21st marks Ursula Le Guin's 85th birthday.  She has written over 21 novels of which, I think, she is best known for her EarthSea series.   As a matter of fact, Margaret Atwood proposed  A Wizard of Earthsea for the Wall Street Journal's latest bookclub read.  Le Guin's also published a number of short story collections, poetry as well as books for children.  She has also translated a few books including Selected Poems of Gabriela Mistral and Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching; in addition to  essays about writing and life.  She has won numerous awards including the Hugo award in 1970 for The Left Hand of Darkness and in 1975 for The Dispossessed.

Yesterday I went on a book purge through my teetering stacks.  Decided if hadn't gotten around to actually reading a book in the past two or three years,  despite glancing through occasionally and returning to the pile, then it was time to go.  Unearthed The Left Hand of Darkness and it immediately called to me to read.

left%2Bhand%2Bof%2Bdarkness.jpg

Synopsis:  When the human ambassador Genly Ai is sent to Gethen, the planet known as Winter by those outsiders who have experienced its arctic climate, he thinks that his mission will be a standard one of making peace between warring factions. Instead the ambassador finds himself wildly unprepared. For Gethen is inhabited by a society with a rich, ancient culture full of strange beauty and deadly intrigue—a society of people who are both male and female in one, and neither. This lack of fixed gender, and the resulting lack of gender-based discrimination, is the very cornerstone of Gethen life. But Genly is all too human. Unless he can overcome his ingrained prejudices about the significance of "male" and "female," he may destroy both his mission and himself.

Next month, she is being honored with the National Book Foundation's 2014 Medal for distinguished contribution to American Letters.  

Happy Birthday to Ursula Le Guin.

History of the Ancient World - Chapters 58 and 59

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 42

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading a fantasy story  Bastion by Mercedes Lackey, #5 in her Collegium Chronicles from the world of Valdemar.  

Finished Michael Casey's Toward God: Ancient Wisdom of Western Prayer and it was enlightening but much I already knew.

Started Thomas Merton's Ascent to Truth about christian mysticism and St John of the Cross and pretty much it's all over my head. Hoping to start understanding or it too will be shelved. 

If this happens again next week, I'm going to start thinking it is tradition.  :sneaky2:

(I don't like starting my week when it is still early enough to be yesterday!!)

But since I'm here, I've read a few more chapters of HoAW, finished reading a couple of books to dd and started a few more. We've moved from Roman myths to Chinese, and I began reading that old fashioned science book about Uncle Paul someone suggested. I mentioned it to a friend for some reason and she had a copy to lend!

Nothing to say, just wanted to get my foot in early in the thread  :lol: and say  :seeya:  to Rosie!

Dh just came down with a fever today.  :eek:   I hope he keeps it to himself.

I'm still reading Michael Vey #4.  Afterwards, I'm going to cave to family peer pressure and read The Hunger Games trilogy before the movies.  This has been the year of dystopian reading for me, and I don't even like it.

Yesterday I finished a historical romance by Carla Kelly that dealt with a topic I haven't seen addressed previously in a romance (and since I've read a LOT of romances, this is out of the ordinary).  I won't state the topic here, but if you're consumed with curiosity, feel free to send me a personal message.  I enjoyed the book.

Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly

"Shipwrecked!

Stranded alone on a desert island, he had lived to tell the tale. A triumphant return to the ton saw James Trevenen hailed as Beau Crusoe—a gentleman of spirit, verve and action. But only he knew the true cost of his survival!

Scandalous!

Susannah Park had been shunned by Society. She lived content with her calm existence...until Beau Crusoe determinedly cut up her peace! The beautiful widow wanted to help him heal the wounds of the past—but what secrets was this glorious man hiding?"

Regards,

Kareni

Why did no one tell me that The Ivy Tree is set in Northern England near Hadrian's Wall (or was I just not paying attention yet again?)  We spent a delightful week a decade ago hiking along the Wall and poking around the Roman ruins of the area.  Reading town names like Housesteads and Hexham bring  a huge grin to this girl's face as I relive the memories of my future archaeologist studying the landscape.

So I have started reading the Mary Stewart novel while continuing on with Women's Work, a book on the history of textiles. I finished listening to Graham Greene's novel Stamboul Train which seems to reflect the uncertainty of the time (1932).

But the recommendation of the week is Trudi Kanter's Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler.  Few memoirs of war refugees can be called delightful yet this one is despite the mounting desperation as Kanter and her husband witness the rise of the Nazi party in Vienna and the closing of borders.  Kanter is a milliner whose profession requires trips to other major European cities for materials or fashion shows and whose clientele includes influential people.  She could have easily left Vienna early on but instead she applied her relentless energy to assisting her husband and parents with exit visas. She succeeded.  If freedom only came with a geographic change... In the confusing early months of Britain's involvement in the war, Trudi's husband and father are classified as "enemy aliens" and are temporarily removed to an internment camp that was horrible. And yet I call this book delightful?  It is because of Trudi's indomitable spirit and her eye as a milliner and former socialite. She paints cafe society in Vienna in the '30's through its changes--a different view than we usually see.  This is a personal story of the friends and strangers who helped, of the delights of serendipity, of the sorrows of circumstances. 

I have made some progress on HoAW but am far from being up to date.

I finished two books of poetry. Behind My Eyes by Li-Young Lee, which was kind of misty and big-truth-ish. And The Trouble With Poetry and Other Poems by Billy Collins. This made me think of Frank O'Hara, but more accessible. But while the simplicity and clarity of the poetry makes it easy and pleasant to read, most of it also feels insubstantial to me. I completely forgot most of the poems a few seconds after finishing them. (A few did stick with me though, and the others had their interesting stanza or two.)

And as a spooky read, I am currently reading Interview With the Vampire.

Evening Hieroglyph by Li-Young Lee

Birds keep changing places in the empty tree

like decimals or numerals reconfiguring

some word which, spoken, might sound the key

that rights the tumblers in the iron lock

that keeps the gate dividing me from me.

Late January. The birds face all

one direction and flit

from branch to branch.

They raise no voice

against or for oncoming dark, no answer

to questions asked by one

whose entire being seems a question

posed to himself, one no longer new

on earth, unknowing, and yet

still not the next thing.

Stilling plugging along trying to finish The Rosie Effecthttp://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/08/the-rosie-effect-graeme-simsion-review. I think last week's first post may very well have been that I was reading it also. Books taking more than a week is odd for me and says a lot about this book in terms of my caring to read it. I loved the Rosie Project and this one is a bit of a snooze. Past halfway barely.

I finished LeFanu's ghost stories and am now reading The Girl With No Shadow by Joanne Harris. It is a witchy story and opens on Halloween, magic and tension but no horror. I had it in my stacks and was informed by the librarian that I had renewed it to the limit and it is overdue. So, I am trying to squeeze it in before closing tomorrow.

Finished Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice last night. Really enjoyed it & found the main character (Doc, a stoner PI) likable & groovy.  :lol:  (FYI, it does have a couple of 'adult' situations as it's set in the hippie/free love era in California.) It's not a straightforward mystery/investigation book -- the plot is convoluted, has a lot of characters, a lot of slang, & various times that you're not sure if something is happening or if it's a stoner's hallucination. Completely fun book, imo. Makes me look foward to seeing

of it that will be coming out in December. This is my second Pynchon book this year & I can say that I definitely enjoy his writing style & will surely be reading more of his books. Thumbs up!

Btw, heard a great & fun interview on the Bob Edwards show today with Franz Wisner, who wrote Honeymoon with My Brother. Sounds like it would be a fun book & I'm hoping my library has it. The interview is worth listening to, if you get an opportunity to hear it.

This is the true story of Franz Wisner, a man who thought he had it all- a high profile career and the fiancée of his dreams- when suddenly, his life turned upside down. Just days before they were to be married, his fiancée called off the wedding. Luckily, his large support network of family and friends wouldn't let him succumb to his misery. They decided Franz should have a wedding and a honeymoon anyway- there just wouldn't be a bride at the ceremony, and Franz' travel companion would be his brother, Kurt.

During the "honeymoon," Franz reconnected with his brother and began to look at his life with newfound perspective. The brothers decided to leave their old lives behind them. They quit their jobs, sold all their possessions, and traveled around the world, visiting fifty-three countries for the next two years. In Honeymoon With My Brother, Franz recounts this remarkable journey, during which he turned his heartbreak into an opportunity to learn about himself, the world, and the brother he hardly knew.

Not sure what book I'll be starting next....

--------------------------
My Goodreads Page

My rating system:
5 = Love; 4 = Pretty awesome; 3 = Good/Fine; 2 = Meh; 1 = Don't bother

41. Asunder by Chloe Aridjis (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (England).

42. Hot Lead, Cold Iron by Ari Marmell (3 stars).

43. The Book of Embraces by Eduardo Galeano (5 stars). Around the World – Latin America (Uruguay).

44. Masters of Atlantis by Charles Portis (4 stars). Around the World – North America (USA).

45. The Weirdness by Jeremy Bushnell (3 stars).

46. 101 Unuseless Japanese Inventions by Kenji Kawakami (3 stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

47. The Return of Martin Guerre by Natalie Zemon Davis (4 stars). Around the World – Europe (France).

48. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami (3.5 stars). Around the World – Asia (Japan).

49. White Masks by Elias Khoury (4 stars). Around the World – Middle East (Lebanon).

50. The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Augalusa (5 stars). Around the World – Africa (Angola).

51. The Club of Angels by Luis Fernando Verissimo (3 stars).  Around the World – Latin America (Brazil).

52. Eléctrico W by Hervé Le Tellier (4 stars). Around the World – Europe (Portugal).

53. The Supernatural Enhancements by Edgar Cantero (4 stars).

54. The Facades by Eric Lundgren (3 stars).

55. Koko Takes a Holiday by Kieran Shea (3 stars).

56. A Dream in Polar Fog by Yuri Rytkheu (5 stars). Around the World – Asia (Russia).

57. Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo (4 stars). Around the World – North America/Latin America (Mexico).

58. Translation is a Love Affair by Jacques Poulin (5 stars). Around the World – North America (Canada).

59. The Skating Rink by Roberto Bolaño (3 stars). Around the World – Europe (Spain).

60. Love Burns by Edna Mazya (3 stars). Around the World – Middle East (Israel).

61. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (5 stars).

62. The Debba by Avner Mandelman (4 stars). Around the World – Middle East (Israel).

63. Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon (4 stars).

I finished Good Omens and enjoyed it. Good irreverent fun! Picked up The Historian at the library--why was there no warning that this is a chunkster??? 642 pages! This will certainly take me past Halloween. But I am enjoying it--even though I'm only on page 53. The Perks of Being A Wallflower was also waiting for me at the library--that will be my treadmill read this week.

Good Omens was my 52nd book read this year. In honor of completing at least one book per week, I'll post my 2014 list so far.

Books Read in 2014

1. The Nine Tailors-Dorothy Sayers

2. The Monuments Men-Robert Edsel

3. Bad Monkeys-Matt Ruff

4. All Quiet on the Western Front-Erich Maria Remarque

5. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

6. Paper Towns-John Green

7. After the Quake-Haruki Murakami

8. Rabbit-Proof Fence-Doris Pilkington

9. The Dead in their Vaulted Arches-Alad Bradley

10. Too Much Happiness-Alice Munro

11. Murder on the Orient Express-Agatha Christie

12. Lost Lake-Sarah Addison Allen

13. Dear Life-Alice Munro

14. The Chaperone-Laura Moriarty

15. The Grand Sophy-Georgette Heyer

16. Winter Garden-Kristin Hannah

17. Hollow City-Ransom Riggs

18. The Fault in our Stars-John Green

19. The Reluctant Widow-Georgette Heyer

20. The Rosie Project-Graeme Simsion

21. The Golem and the Jinni-Helene Wecker

22. Orphan Train-Christina Baker

23. Philomena-Martin Sixsmith

24. The Autoimmune Epidemic-Donna Jackson Nakazama

25. The Goldfinch-Donna Tartt

26. The Invention of Wings-Sue Monk Kidd

27. All the Light We Cannot See-Anthony Doerr

28. To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee

29. Becoming Jane Eyre-Sheila Kohler

30. Cotillion-Georgette Heyer

31. Stardust-Neil Gaiman

32. Farthing-Jo Walton

33. Mom & Me & Mom-Maya Angelou

34. The Martian-Andy Weir

35. Ha’Penny-Jo Walton

36. Jane Eyre-Charlotte Bronte

37. Half a Crown-Jo Walton

38. Gilgamesh-Stephen Mitchell

39. Code Talkers-Chester Nez

40. The Hanover Square Affair-Ashley Gardner

41. The Wee Free Men-Terry Pratchett

42. Sodium Girl’s Limitless Low-Sodium Cookbook-Jessica Goldman Foung

43. A Hatful of Sky-Terry Pratchett

44. Wintersmith-Terry Pratchett

45. Mary Poppins-P.L. Travers

46. Generosity-Richard Powers

47. Excellent Sheep-William Deresciewicz

48. I Shall Wear Midnight-Terry Pratchett

49. The Shoemaker’s Wife-Adriana Trigiani

50. The House on Mango Stree-Sandra Cisneros

51. Lord of the Flies-William Golding

52. Good Omens-Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

I'm a little past the half way point listening to Good Omens, and am enjoying it.  I can see why I gave up the first couple of times I tried it because early on in the book, when side characters are being introduced and set up, well those sections are just a little too gratuitous. To me it comes across like the authors are just too darn smug and proud of their clever selves.  But it is fun, and makes me laugh out loud.

Also started another Alan Furst novel, Midnight in Europe.  If I could only carve out longer chunks of time for reading!  It would be so easy to get lost in his books for hours on end.

I just finished Sheri Cobb South's  historical romance The Weaver Takes a Wife.  It was an enjoyable read, and I don't believe anyone would find it offensive in any way.  I recommend it.

"Haughty Lady Helen Radney is one of London's most beautiful women and the daughter of a duke, but her sharp tongue has frightened away most of her suitors. When her father gambles away his fortune, the duke's only chance for recouping his losses lies in marrying off Lady Helen to any man wealthy enough to take a bride with nothing to recommend her but a lovely face and an eight-hundred-year-old pedigree. Enter Mr. Ethan Brundy, once an illegitimate workhouse orphan, now owner of a Lancashire textile mill and one of England's richest men. When he glimpses Lady Helen at Covent Garden Theatre, he is instantly smitten and vows to marry her. But this commonest of commoners will have his work cut out for him if he hopes to win the heart of his aristocratic bride."

A review:

"The Weaver Takes a Wife is a truly lovely story of first impressions, second chances, and seeing beneath the surface. In an original twist on the old Pygmalion tale, the aristocratic heroine does the real changing, from the inside out, while the touch-your-heart hero shines through his unfashionable garb as brightly as through the tailored clothing into which he is reluctantly stuffed. Sheri Cobb South learned her trade at the figurative knee of Georgette Heyer, giving us a love story rich in traditional Regency style and heartwarming charm. I fell for the completely unpolished, wholly decent Ethan Brundy, and wouldn't want him any other way." -- Emma Jensen, author of Best Laid Schemes

Regards,

Kareni

Congratulations, Ali, on #52!

I finished While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell.  I loved this book!  I might just put it on my 'best of the year' list.  It is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty, very well done, imo.   I have just started  Crossing to Safety  by Wallace Stegner so it is too early to give an opinion but, so far, I am enjoying reading the descriptions.   I am also reading  To Kill A Mockingbird with my oldest.  It is my second time through and, after I finished it the first time I was not impressed with it and wondered why it was considered a classic.  Second time around( 5 years later,) I am enjoying it much more. I am enjoying the conversations between Jem and Scout. They are so funny.  Interesting how opinions change in such a short amount of time.

I just finished Sheri Cobb South's historical romance The Weaver Takes a Wife. It was an enjoyable read, and I don't believe anyone would find it offensive in any way. I recommend it.

"Haughty Lady Helen Radney is one of London's most beautiful women and the daughter of a duke, but her sharp tongue has frightened away most of her suitors. When her father gambles away his fortune, the duke's only chance for recouping his losses lies in marrying off Lady Helen to any man wealthy enough to take a bride with nothing to recommend her but a lovely face and an eight-hundred-year-old pedigree. Enter Mr. Ethan Brundy, once an illegitimate workhouse orphan, now owner of a Lancashire textile mill and one of England's richest men. When he glimpses Lady Helen at Covent Garden Theatre, he is instantly smitten and vows to marry her. But this commonest of commoners will have his work cut out for him if he hopes to win the heart of his aristocratic bride."

A review:

"The Weaver Takes a Wife is a truly lovely story of first impressions, second chances, and seeing beneath the surface. In an original twist on the old Pygmalion tale, the aristocratic heroine does the real changing, from the inside out, while the touch-your-heart hero shines through his unfashionable garb as brightly as through the tailored clothing into which he is reluctantly stuffed. Sheri Cobb South learned her trade at the figurative knee of Georgette Heyer, giving us a love story rich in traditional Regency style and heartwarming charm. I fell for the completely unpolished, wholly decent Ethan Brundy, and wouldn't want him any other way." -- Emma Jensen, author of Best Laid Schemes

Regards,

Kareni

It's $4 for kindle, I'll give it a shot when I finish my last two st Cyr books.

:svengo:

Tell me you've never seen Veer-Zaara!

I've seen part of it. Perhaps I'll finish it. Have you seen it?

Happy Sunday, dear hearts!  Today is the start of week 43 in our quest to read 52 Books. Welcome back to all our readers, to all those who are just joining in and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Happy Birthday Ursula Le Guin:   Tuesday, October 21st marks Ursula Le Guin's 85th birthday.  She has written over 21 novels of which, I think, she is best known for her EarthSea series.   As a matter of fact, Margaret Atwood proposed  A Wizard of Earthsea for the Wall Street Journal's latest bookclub read.  Le Guin's also published a number of short story collections, poetry as well as books for children.  She has also translated a few books including Selected Poems of Gabriela Mistral and Lao Tzu: Tao Te Ching; in addition to  essays about writing and life.  She has won numerous awards including the Hugo award in 1970 for The Left Hand of Darkness and in 1975 for The Dispossessed.

Yesterday I went on a book purge through my teetering stacks.  Decided if hadn't gotten around to actually reading a book in the past two or three years,  despite glancing through occasionally and returning to the pile, then it was time to go.  Unearthed The Left Hand of Darkness and it immediately called to me to read.

left%2Bhand%2Bof%2Bdarkness.jpg

Next month, she is being honored with the National Book Foundation's 2014 Medal for distinguished contribution to American Letters.  

Happy Birthday to Ursula Le Guin.

I'd read that for the cover alone! In fact I've put it on my tbr list because it's one of dh's favorites of hers and I've heard so many good things about it. The genre is not one I visit and the plot description above doesn't particularly draw me but I think I'm going to give it a go.

Evening Hieroglyph by Li-Young Lee

Birds keep changing places in the empty tree

like decimals or numerals reconfiguring

some word which, spoken, might sound the key

that rights the tumblers in the iron lock

that keeps the gate dividing me from me.

Late January. The birds face all

one direction and flit

from branch to branch.

They raise no voice

against or for oncoming dark, no answer

to questions asked by one

whose entire being seems a question

posed to himself, one no longer new

on earth, unknowing, and yet

still not the next thing.

Love!! Swooning with the bolded.

This was the first week where I didn't actually read anything. I've got Mary Stewart's 'The Ivy Tree' as my main focus but it's going very slowly for some reason, I haven't gotten to a point where I don't want to put it down. But perhaps I'll draw on Jane and Amy's enthusiasm for it (is anyone else reading it?). I bought a few kindle books but haven't begun those either. It's been slow and slack reading-wise.

I'm working on a list of ten spooky fairy tales as per Robin's request in keeping with our October theme and will post the first five this week when I've got them lined up. 

Angel, hope your husband feels better.

Ali, well done on #52!

I'm glad to hear the audio version of Good Omens is going around.  I *loved* it on audio and plan only to listen to Neil and Terry for the remainder of the year.  Happily my library has a hefty stock so I should be OK.

I'm still plowing through several very long tomes (including Terry's Unseen Academicals on audio; #Hil.Ar.I.Ous), but I did manage to finish Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Jinni, which shukriyya had recommended and which I greatly enjoyed, and...

Kamila Shamsie's Broken Verses, which Stacia has been on me about for my Pakistan study.  Oh, Stacia.  Thank you.  Definitely among my top five for the year.  Just so much, on so much, about parenthood and daughterhood and unfinished grief and how our baggage holds us back and, and, and... That story-within-the-story about Iblis and Aadam, I keep coming back to it and choking anew... Highly recommended.

Yesterday I finished a historical romance by Carla Kelly that dealt with a topic I haven't seen addressed previously in a romance (and since I've read a LOT of romances, this is out of the ordinary).  I won't state the topic here, but if you're consumed with curiosity, feel free to send me a personal message.  I enjoyed the book.

Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly

"Shipwrecked!

Stranded alone on a desert island, he had lived to tell the tale. A triumphant return to the ton saw James Trevenen hailed as Beau Crusoe—a gentleman of spirit, verve and action. But only he knew the true cost of his survival!

Scandalous!

Susannah Park had been shunned by Society. She lived content with her calm existence...until Beau Crusoe determinedly cut up her peace! The beautiful widow wanted to help him heal the wounds of the past—but what secrets was this glorious man hiding?"

Regards,

Kareni

I will admit to being hugely curious if I have read a romance dealing with this book's topic. I have read way more than my share of romance novels over the years! Anyway I found a copy of it in overdrive. No room to check it out currently but hopefully in the next week or so. My question is should I read it or just pm you? :lol: It sounds interesting so unless I will be absolutely appalled I should probably just read it!

Why did no one tell me that The Ivy Tree is set in Northern England near Hadrian's Wall (or was I just not paying attention yet again?)  We spent a delightful week a decade ago hiking along the Wall and poking around the Roman ruins of the area.  Reading town names like Housesteads and Hexham bring  a huge grin to this girl's face as I relive the memories of my future archaeologist studying the landscape.

That is such a beautiful area. Some friends live on a farm that the wall runs through by Hexham. The future archaeologist must have loved that vacation!

Ali congratulations on 52 books!

Angel, I hope dh feels better soon and the rest of the family stays healthy!

I am hopefully going to resist the temptation to keep checking in on this thread and go to sleep. I have taken a couple of advil and need to get some rest. I planted over 700 bulbs this weekend in my garden.....crocus, tulips, hyacinth, narcissus. Looking forward to the results in springtime.

Concerning The Weaver Takes a Wife:

It's $4 for kindle, I'll give it a shot when I finish my last two st Cyr books.

I was fortunate to be able to borrow it for the Kindle through my library.  Might that be a possibility for you?

Concerning Beau Crusoe:

I will admit to being hugely curious if I have read a romance dealing with this book's topic. I have read way more than my share of romance novels over the years! Anyway I found a copy of it in overdrive. No room to check it out currently but hopefully in the next week or so. My question is should I read it or just pm you? :lol: It sounds interesting so unless I will be absolutely appalled I should probably just read it!

I'd say just go ahead and read it.  I'll look forward to hearing what you think and to learn if you've previously encountered the topic.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Maya Banks' Keep Me Safe: A Slow Burn Novel

"When Caleb Devereaux's younger sister is kidnapped, this scion of a powerful and wealthy family turns to an unlikely source for help: a beautiful and sensitive woman with a gift for finding answers others cannot.

While Ramie can connect to victims and locate them by feeling their pain, her ability comes with a price. Every time she uses it, it costs her a piece of herself. Helping the infuriatingly attractive and impatient Caleb successfully find his sister nearly destroys her. Even though his sexual intensity draws her like a magnet, she needs to get as far away from him as she can.

Deeply remorseful for the pain he’s caused, Caleb is determined to make things right. But just when he thinks Ramie's vanished forever, she reappears. She’s in trouble and she needs his help. Now, Caleb will do risk everything to protect her—including his heart. . . ."

It was an okay read; however, I doubt it's a book I'll reread.

Regards,

Kareni

My favorite book set near Hadrian's Wall is Nancy Bond's YA book Country of Broken Stone.  It has an archaeological dig and a complexity and richness that is sadly rare in YA books.  (I cannot understand how her best books are oop, with only String in the Harp readily available....)

I love this book! I am so grateful to the children's librarian who placed it in my hand before we left for our month in Britain when my son was twelve (and before he decided to become an archaeologist).  She knew us well! 

Country of Broken Stone led us to Hexham.  The Saxon crypt in Hexham Abbey is made from recycled stone from Hadrian's Wall--an amazing space.

The moral of this story is that a good librarian can open up so many worlds to her clientele.  I actually checked in with this amazing librarian recently to tell her that my son is a working archaeologist.  She is one of the people who helped guide him on his path.  I am so grateful.

But yes--Country of Broken Stone is an excellent YA book as is String in the Harp.  I don't usually enter the YA discussions because it seems that there are a host of newer books that I have not read (and so many of them are dystopian--not this Pollyanna's thing), but I will take this opportunity to mention another YA author whom we liked back in the day:  Nancy Farmer.  My son adored her Sea of Trolls trilogy, a fantasy set in Anglo-Saxon England and amongst the Scandinavian Viking ships.

Eliana, your mention of Shadows of a Childhood made me think of the recent Polish movie Ida. I wanted to see it, but didn't get to the theater while it was playing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Wow!  Watching the trailer almost leads me to have a tantrum concerning our movie theaters that show nothing but cr#p.  Ugh.  I am jealous of people who can see real films for more than an off day special showing. 

Pfui.

Instead of having a hissyfit, I'll mount my bicycle, go to the salt marsh, and remind myself why I chose to live in this place.  (Even though part of me still wants to throw that tantrum.)

Kamila Shamsie's Broken Verses, which Stacia has been on me about for my Pakistan study.  Oh, Stacia.  Thank you.  Definitely among my top five for the year.  Just so much, on so much, about parenthood and daughterhood and unfinished grief and how our baggage holds us back and, and, and... That story-within-the-story about Iblis and Aadam, I keep coming back to it and choking anew... Highly recommended.

:)

(Now you're making me want to go back & read it again....)

Kindle post so I can't multi-quote. I seem to have joined a few of the short-on-sleep BaWers lately. Waking in the wee hours and sleep didn't refind me so in the dark expanse of the gathering dawn I walked through the gate of metaphor in a wonderful interview with poet laureate of NY state, Marie Howe on Kristen Tippet's wonderful show On Being. Link ::http://onbeing.org/program/the-poetry-of-ordinary-time-with-marie-howe/5301

I feel badly recommending the Heyer book not being a reader of her myself, but knowing many BaWers are and seeing the $1.99 deal. My apologies.

Jane, my ds loves The Sea of Trolls series, too.

Eliana, thanks for the Lavinia suggestion as well as the caveat re TLHoD. And I may have to check out 'Beauty' as well as that is a fave tales of mine

Rosie, your description of the movie didn't make me want to run out and finish it ;)

Pam, I put Kamila Shamsie's 'A God in Every Stone' onto my tbr list!

I finished Gulliver's Travels on Saturday.  The first half was better than the second half.  The last quarter was funny, especially when he swore that everything written was absolutely truth and some other people who write travelogues may embellish, but he most certainly did not.  Jonathan Swift was a master at satire for sure.  My son is only assigned to read the first two parts, but he's already asked if he can finish it for fun.  Um, yeah.  He's a voracious "reader" (listener... he's dyslexic so most of what he "reads" is either immersion reading or straight audiobooks), but not usually classic literature.

I also finished reading Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know to my little boys Saturday night.  Let's just say it's a good thing they don't scare easily.  Disney those are not.  I think Blue Beard was the most disturbing to them (and me) since he kept his dead wives' bodies in his closet, but several of them were strange since they were original versions of fairy tales.  As my 8 year old said when we finished the last one (Beauty and the Beast) "At least no one died in that one!"

Now I'm reading Blood of Olympus (last of Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series).

Finished 46. Horace, Satires and 47. The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories. I hadn't realized that what Horace wrote, though often satirical, was equally often not "satire" in the modern sense; and that there is still debate over just what "satire" meant, how the meaning of the word changed historically, and even the etymology of the word.

The ghost stories were a nice selection, and the editors did a good job of avoiding repetition in the stories' concepts, which I imagine wasn't an easy task. I very much liked the inexplicable Aickman story "The Cicerones," the consciously Dante-esque "Et in Sempiternum Pereunt," and the light and frantic T. H. White story "Soft Voices at Passenham" at the end. Also the James story, "The Friends of the Friends," which was very unlike The Turn of the Screw, and indeed almost like a non-supernatural James story that happened to feature a ghost.

Still dithering amongst multiple books, including now a Guy de Maupassant and some stories by local celebrity writer and historian J. Frank Dobie.

Now I'm reading Blood of Olympus (last of Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series).

I just picked Blood of Olympus up at the library today! Dc's are looking forward to it.

Sea of Trolls fans here also. :)

Shukriyya, Sorry that you seem to be joining the insomnia club. I hope it's just temporary.

Eliana, You may end up enjoying The Rosie Effect so I hope I haven't ruined it. I could end up enjoying it if I ever get back to reading it. ;)

I have been reading and enjoying Tana French's Faithful Place today.

Stacia - Wow - I am joining Jane in having fits over our movie selections. We just lost our good theatre. We drive in to Boston now if we want to see something "interesting". The last one I saw in that theatre was Myazaki's The Wind Rises, which I adored, despite it being hard to watch.

Butter - The witch dance to death in red hot iron shoes at the end of my childhood version of Snow White. As an adult, it bothers me a lot more than as a child. I am definitely more compassionate as an adult lol. I remember being bothered by Blue Beard, even as a child. Powerful stories...

Jane - I've never outgrown my love of YA books. They somehow seem to get at the realities of my existance better than most adult novels. I am careful which ones I read for this reason, since I find them harder to sluff off if I have mischosen. Thank you for the recommendations.

crstarlette - Thank you for the poem. It appears to be one that is sticking with me, to be brought out and mulled over on long car rides and when awake in the night.

Mumto2 - 700!!!!!! One autumn, as we drove to work, we watched a woman kneeling in a grove by the road planting bulbs. She was there every day for weeks. In the spring, the entire grove was covered in daffodils! It is spectacular. I hope you have similar success. : )

Robin - I love Ursula LeGuin. I reread Eye of the Heron every year, but haven't read any of her others for quite awhile. Not sure I am strong enough to this fall, but soon... And I will at least read a few of her short stories, meanwhile. : )

Eliana - My youngest two and I spent some time comparing (from the inside) the differences between the governance of the particular Native Americans we were with, that of the Japanese, and that of various types of people from the United States. It was pretty interesting. We noticed that government-by-consensus was a strong link between the pacifist Quakers we were with and the pacifist Japanese. There were also similarities between the Native American approach and the Japanese approach. I was intrigued that my children could articulate the situation. I cherish the Friends' quiet light and have leaned on their strength upon occasion. I hope you have a chance to rewrite your Tamlin post. I know exactly what you mean about instantly missing the children whom airplanes are carrying away from you. They leave such a hole, don't they?

Nan

I've read 73 books so far this year. I'm currently reading The Historian, Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full by Gloria Furman, Women Of The Word by Jen Wilkin, and I'm supposed to be reading Jen Hatmaker's Interrupted but I cannot get into it for the life of me and find myself reading other things instead. Second Jen Hatmaker book this has happened with and I'm starting to think that I just don't like her style even if she came highly recommended by most of my friends.

I would dearly love to read more of The Historian today buuuut crazy mom did a media ban today because the kids were fighting like cats and dogs over who got to choose a movie this morning so I said no movies or computer at all if we're putting it above our relationships with siblings. Now it's loud children wanting to do 50 million messy things because darn it, they are creative kids. They're doing Sculpey clay creations and homemade playdough for the littlest. I can only focus in spurts which just isn't enough for The Historian. ;) 

Have now started The Translation of Dr. Apelles by David Treuer.

A daring new novel that "may be David Treuer's best book" (Charles Baxter)

He realizes he has discovered a document that could change his life forever.

Dr Apelles, Native American translator of Native American texts, lives a diligent existence. He works at a library and, in his free time, works on his translations. Without his realizing it, his world has become small. One day he stumbles across an ancient manuscript only he can translate. What begins as a startling discovery quickly becomes a vital quest--not only to translate the document but to find love. Through the riddle of Dr Apelles's heart, The Translation of Dr Apelles explores the boundaries of human emotion, charts the power of the language to both imprison and liberate, and maps the true dimensions of the Native American experience. As Dr Apelles's quest nears its surprising conclusion, the novel asks the reader to speculate on whose power is greater: The imaginer or the imagined? The lover or the beloved?

In this brilliant mystery of letters in the tradition of Calvino, Borges, and Saramago, David Treuer excavates the persistent myths that belittle the contemporary Native American experience and lays bare the terrible power of the imagination.

Again, it's one I found because I'm trying to read from various independent, non-profit publishing companies. Graywolf Press published this one. An article from earlier this year: Minneapolis' Graywolf Press wins second Pulitzer in three years.

I'm trying to catch up!  I've been so busy and not sleeping well.  I finished World War Z (again) and I was confused because I was getting the movie and book mixed up in my head.  :lol:  I also finished Hollow City.  I really liked it but it was a much faster pace.  I was also displeased with how many typos were in the book.  

I have no idea what to read now!  My library is woefully lacking in most of the books in my list, interlibrary loan is soooo slow here, and I'm too broke to buy anything.  Nothing on my shelves sounds good. Sigh.  I'm also in a knitting funk.   :crying:

I finished Good Omens and enjoyed it. Good irreverent fun! Picked up The Historian at the library--why was there no warning that this is a chunkster??? 642 pages! This will certainly take me past Halloween. But I am enjoying it--even though I'm only on page 53. The Perks of Being A Wallflower was also waiting for me at the library--that will be my treadmill read this week.

Good Omens was my 52nd book read this year. In honor of completing at least one book per week, I'll post my 2014 list so far.

:hurray:  for 52

I'm working on a list of ten spooky fairy tales as per Robin's request in keeping with our October theme and will post the first five this week when I've got them lined up. 

Awesome

I am hopefully going to resist the temptation to keep checking in on this thread and go to sleep. I have taken a couple of advil and need to get some rest. I planted over 700 bulbs this weekend in my garden.....crocus, tulips, hyacinth, narcissus. Looking forward to the results in springtime.

Amazing, over 700.  Can't wait to see the pictures. 

I am (finally!) caught up on HOTAW - and a little ahead even (just finished chapter 69).  I seem to to better reading it in large chunks rather than bit by bit.

Excellent!  Plus glad to see you back.

I've read 73 books so far this year. I'm currently reading The Historian, Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full by Gloria Furman, Women Of The Word by Jen Wilkin, and I'm supposed to be reading Jen Hatmaker's Interrupted but I cannot get into it for the life of me and find myself reading other things instead. Second Jen Hatmaker book this has happened with and I'm starting to think that I just don't like her style even if she came highly recommended by most of my friends.

I would dearly love to read more of The Historian today buuuut crazy mom did a media ban today because the kids were fighting like cats and dogs over who got to choose a movie this morning so I said no movies or computer at all if we're putting it above our relationships with siblings. Now it's loud children wanting to do 50 million messy things because darn it, they are creative kids. They're doing Sculpey clay creations and homemade playdough for the littlest. I can only focus in spurts which just isn't enough for The Historian. ;)

I'll join you as a crazy mom.  James is also on a complete technology ban til the end of the month.  Which means when he isn't busy with lessons or in his room reading, he's talking my ear off.  

Finished Bastion which was good as always. I love Mercedes Lackey's world building. Always interesting.  Don't know why it makes me want to dig out old Charles De Lint  Newford series to do a  reread.   Diving into Left Hand of Darkness this evening after work.

Finds on my trip about the interwebz today: 

A List of scary reads that I've never heard of before.  

Flavorwires list of 50 Scariest Short Stories

Plus Brooklyn Magazine cam up with a different literary map of the United States.

On one of my Alfred John Church free Kindle book threads,

Sebastian (a lady) pointed out that some Padraic Colum books were also available free on Kindle.  I'll link them here:

The Adventures of Odysseus and The Tales of Troy by Padraic Colum and Willy Pogany

The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles by Padraic Colum

Other Padraic Colum titles were also available at low Kindle prices.

Regards,

Kareni

I also finished reading Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know to my little boys Saturday night.  Let's just say it's a good thing they don't scare easily.  Disney those are not.  I think Blue Beard was the most disturbing to them (and me) since he kept his dead wives' bodies in his closet, but several of them were strange since they were original versions of fairy tales.  As my 8 year old said when we finished the last one (Beauty and the Beast) "At least no one died in that one!"

I've been reading Fairy Tales to dd. Most of them seem to be about stupid people!

Bluebeard gave me nightmares for years when I was a kid.

Eliana, your mention of Shadows of a Childhood made me think of the recent Polish movie Ida. I wanted to see it, but didn't get to the theater while it was playing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Wow! That looks so good! I wonder if it would be available for rent later on.

I finished Gulliver's Travels on Saturday.  The first half was better than the second half.  The last quarter was funny, especially when he swore that everything written was absolutely truth and some other people who write travelogues may embellish, but he most certainly did not.  Jonathan Swift was a master at satire for sure.  My son is only assigned to read the first two parts, but he's already asked if he can finish it for fun.  Um, yeah.  He's a voracious "reader" (listener... he's dyslexic so most of what he "reads" is either immersion reading or straight audiobooks), but not usually classic literature.

As a kid I used to love Gulliver's Travels. :)

I'm reading too many books at once again. Not good.

Reading Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's the one after Speak and some characters make a cameo appearance there. It's nowhere near as good as Speak. Kind of bleh. maybe because I cannot relate to such a driven person.

Scouting for some good vegan recipes in Vegan on the Cheap and Main Street Vegan.

Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome is an excellent book, full of great advice in a nice simple language, I'm benefiting so much from it already.

I loved Middlesex, but the ending has left me cold. Loved the history surrounding her/his grandparents and parents though.

I've been reading Fairy Tales to dd. Most of them seem to be about stupid people!

Bluebeard gave me nightmares for years when I was a kid.

I'm not sure you are reading the right ones, then lol.  I seem to remember lots where the girl was clever and outwitted the more powerful forces in her life.  It is one of the reasons I love fairytales.  Maybe it was the particular anthology I had?

While we are talking about stories... Rosie, I seem to remember you once saying that the deaf community has a strong story-telling tradition.  Would you elaborate on that?  I hope you don't mind my asking.

Nan

I prefer this to a map that someone else had linked within the past year or so. As I recall, NC was then associated with Nicholas Sparks.  I am a much happier camper to have NC's selection be Look Homeward, Angel.  Nice to know that the young hipsters of Brooklyn are reading Thomas Wolfe.  If you are ever in Asheville, you can visit his mother's boardinghouse where he grew up.

I seem to remember lots where the girl was clever and outwitted the more powerful forces in her life.  It is one of the reasons I love fairytales.  Maybe it was the particular anthology I had?

I remember sharing some tales from this collection with my daughter when she was younger:

Tatterhood and Other Tales by Ethel Johnston Phelps

"All the central characters in these folk tales are spirited females-decisive heroines of extraordinary courage, wit, and achievement who set out to determine their own fate. Some of their stories are comic, some adventurous, some eerie, and some magical. The 25 traditional tales come from Asia, Europe, India, Africa, and the Americas; detailed information about their sources is given. "A sparkling gathering or traditional, yet little-known tales.""-Chicago Sun Times

Regards,

Kareni

I'm not sure you are reading the right ones, then lol.  I seem to remember lots where the girl was clever and outwitted the more powerful forces in her life.  It is one of the reasons I love fairytales.  Maybe it was the particular anthology I had?

Nan

We're reading Lang's!

While we are talking about stories… Rosie, I seem to remember you once saying that the deaf community has a strong story-telling tradition. Would you elaborate on that?

Not sure what sort of answer to give. I can tell you there are two glass ceilings to hit in learning a signed language. One is if you are hearing. Deaf people code switch a bit even with their own hearing kids. The other is being an introvert, lol. My receptive skills were the best in my class, but I was never at the top when it came to productive skills. First, I have a stutter. Second, I'm an introvert.

Think about a visual language. The more expression you put in, the more interesting the "tone" is. Someone with no expression is like listening to someone talk in a monotone. Also, story telling is important for the same reasons it is in illiterate cultures, I guess. You can't really write down a signed language.

Try and see some Deaf theatre if you can. Some is not suited to a non-sigining audience, but I've seen some brilliant bilingual theatre.

Just finished Faithful Place by Tana French. It was really excellent. Number three in her Dublin Murder Squad series but it wasn't at all what a typical book in a murder series should be. It was very much a novel about a dysfunctional poor Irish family whereone child grew up to be a guard (police). There are two murders but they are part of the fabric of the rest of the story not the focus. Here is a good review http://www.theguardian.com/books/2010/aug/28/book-review-faithful-place-tana-french

My 700 bulbs....they were added to a whole lot of daffodils that dd and I planted last fall when we moved into our new house. These I just put in my flower beds.

Nan, we did do a bit of planting of the daffodils within the front lawn because I do love the effect when I see it in big places like an apple orchard. I had done the basic lawn plant concept before and it worked well as a couple of rows in place of a flower bed around the front of our old house. In front of flower beds it looks a bit sloppy. Not what I was anticipating but now I have it.....you can't mow and the grass keeps growing. You have lovely blooms but the grass looks dreadful. It was really easy to do. Dd and I put quite a few (200???) in the ground in an hour or so. We just split the ground with the shovel and made a deep pocket, tucked 4 or 5 bulbs in, took the shovel out. After it rained you couldn't even tell that we had been there. They all came up so the easy method worked!