Menu

math- gentle prealgebra and beyond??

Im looking to find a very gentle prealgebra program (that also will have algebra and geometry at some point) for my special needs daughter. we are currently using khan academy as a solid review, but I don't see this working for her once we get to prealgebra. im also thinking MUS and TT will not be a good fit (we have tried them in the past and they are both pricey). im also not fond of life of fred. any ideas of what else is out there and how to implement it?? thanks!

Key to series, maybe? Workbook format, lots of white space, lots of repetition, little short booklets vs a big, scary textbook. I'd add some manipulative if she responds well to them, like algebra blocks or tiles. Fractions and Decimals would be reasonable pre-algebra, and then Algebra and Geometry. They're light compared to most series, but they're enough to be able to pass the algebra gateway to get a standard diploma for PS students in my state.

Power Basics has Basic Math, Algebra, Geometry, and Consumer Math. You can buy each course from Rainbow Resource for $45 currently. They're designed to deliver content to PS special needs students, so I think they'd be ideal for you.

Power Basics does not go beyond algebra 1, so if you need something you can label "algebra 2", AGS makes courses at a similar level that you can get from Christianbook. They're pricier though, but $100 is still not that bad. Here's a link: http://www.christianbook.com/ags-math-algebra-2-homeschool-bundle/9780785471448/pd/471448?event=HPT

Also consider Saxon "8/7 with Prealgebra".  (or perhaps their prealgebra 1/2, if she has already done plenty of review of basic math) But doing it at a pace that would work for her, say, 2 half hour sessions per day, rather than trying to do an entire "lesson" each day.

I guess it depends what the SN needs are. We were not happy with Keys To. I do like Chalkdust and Dana Mosely, but the text used is the sort of text that might be used in a community college pre-algebra program, and may be quite hard for her (and quite busy lay out also) for SN--otoh having a teacher to call or email might be just what she needs.

Saxon 8/7 is hefty, but it has lots of practice and repetition and goes into pre-algebra along with some easy geometry while also reviewing basics of math. It is plain, black and white,  somewhat  on the wordy side.  My ds could not use Saxon till this year due to wordiness (dyslexia issue), but now it seems to be a good fit--though he seems to be using it in a "discovery" way... trying out the problems rather than reading the "how to" parts first.  If the "how to" parts are done first, and every problem is done, then it is quite clear and gradual and I would call it "very gentle" so long as you keep the daily quantity of pages manageable either by number of pages required or by time spent daily. I think a whole lesson daily is too much for a lot of kids, and I think skipping problems takes away from its gradual and gentle aspect.