Menu

Word Decoding suggestions?

specialmama

What would you recommend for a 12 yr old girl with a brain injury whose oral language and auditory processing is a relative strength (roughly 18th-27th percentile) but whose word decoding is a great challenge? She presents at the 8th percentile for her age in Expressive Vocabulary and word decoding is very low. (I didn't record that one, but I believe her word decoding was at the 3rd percentile for her age.) Aside from getting her eyes and ears checked, what program is suitable for a 12 yr old (not too babyish) but really works that word decoding? If it helps, this child's brain injury is FASD, so memory issues will come into play as well. Bonus points if it is engaging!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

:grouphug:

You can try my online phonics lessons.

Also, these charts with my multisyllable phonics page resources if specific sound spelling correspondence recall is poor.

https://www.phonovisual.com/products.php?c=1

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

My charts also might be helpful, I start with color and then wean down to black and white.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/PL26VowelChart.pdf

The books are animal characters and cartoonish but I LOVE the I See Sam reading program for decoding.  That is what I used with my special needs girls to teach them to read.  www.iseesam.com and www.3rsplus.com  A huge plus for this program is that it starts out with only 5 sounds blended into 3 words and gives tons of practice and slowly introduces new sounds and letters.  You can do 1 book/story a day, 1 a week or whatever time frame you need.

Dancing Bears along with Apples and Pears spelling are not babyish at all and work on decoding and the spelling.  I used these with the I See Sam program but some have used them on their own.

If you've been working on phonics for years and decoding is still a huge issue, I would take a look at Glass Analysis for Decoding Only. It's a unique remedial program that isn't babyish at all, but does depend on the parent/tutor to make it engaging. 

If you've been working on phonics for years and decoding is still a huge issue, I would take a look at Glass Analysis for Decoding Only. It's a unique remedial program that isn't babyish at all, but does depend on the parent/tutor to make it engaging.

What is unique about this program? My DD is 12 and stuck also.