Menu

6th grade math: Need help

Fractions are a typical 5th grade topic and a good foundation in this topic is very important.  I think it's well worth taking the extra time to afterschool whatever prior knowledge MIF assumes on this topic.  I would not rely on the 6th grade textbook's review for primary fraction instruction, though I haven't seen MIF.

The MM blue topic book on fractions would be an efficient, inexpensive option.  Singapore would work too but the number of books, and corresponding expense, would be much greater, as I think Singapore introduces fractions in grade 4 and then goes deeper in 5...I'm not sure.

I recommend Key to Fractions, but the Math-U-See manipulatives for fractions are some of the best I've seen to use. I've used Key to when my kids needed extra brush-up as I don't think they have enough explanation. You might try Life of Fred's book on Fractions.

Fractions are pretty foundational to everything that comes after: decimals and percents, solving for unknowns with multiplying by reciprocals. You definitely need to get him up to speed on this.

Thanks! He has done fractions in 4th and 5th grade some and we just put him in ps this week.  

I will definitely check out Key to Fractions.  I had LOF but he was not interested in that so I already sold it.  

He is ADHD too so it needs to be me working with him.  We were working on Multiplication ( the past few weeks) and he was doing TT at home.

I appreciate the feedback.  I spent an hour searching for the MIF workbook and it is out of stock on every site except Rainbow in a bundle right now.  

Thanks! He has done fractions in 4th and 5th grade some and we just put him in ps this week.  

I will definitely check out Key to Fractions.  I had LOF but he was not interested in that so I already sold it.  

He is ADHD too so it needs to be me working with him.  We were working on Multiplication ( the past few weeks) and he was doing TT at home.

I appreciate the feedback.  I spent an hour searching for the MIF workbook and it is out of stock on every site except Rainbow in a bundle right now.  

I don't know if you ever found anything but I would also encourage Key to Fractions, besides the MiF workbooks (I have MiF and Key to series).  Do at least a few of the problems from the Key to...  workbook on a dry erase board if you have one and preferably a big one so he can incorporate large body movement.  It might help his ADHD issues and at least in my house that usually creates more enthusiasm for the work than just a workbook.  Have him do every single workbook in Key to Fractions but make certain he is mastering each level before moving on.  Over learn the material and review it often so it isn't lost.  Use manipulatives as much as possible.  I wish someone had done that for me when I was in school.  As someone up thread mentioned, fractions are a critical component of understanding many other areas of math.

Good luck and best wishes.

Update:  DH is working with ds on his home work.  He did call the math teacher who blew him off and told him it was an easy class.  I am assuming there are no remedial classes.

DS is smart and reads fluently above 12th grade when tested consistently.  He gets over emotional about any problems in his life.  He freaked out the first week and came home 3 days for the anxiety he had over his math class.  I thought he had a stomach bug at first.  After asking him some questions I realized he was dodging math class.  He was throwing up at school since he has the ability to do this at will.  He had severe acid reflux as a baby and has scarring on his esophagus from it.  He cannot drink any carbonated drinks either ( a positive)

I am helping dh with any problems and then he is helping ds.... so, I finally ordered the MIF Re-teaching book and it is out of stock but hopefully will be here in a week.

I was so disappointed that our local BAM quit carrying the Frank Shaeffer books for Singapore math too!!