Menu

math - I should have seen this one coming (Forgetting skills from years ago)

Tammi K

My youngest - 13 year old son - is currently doing Algebra 2. No problem there. He's doing fine. But, we recently join a charter school and they had him do a assessment test. Overall he did fine but the adviser noted that he misses all the questions on scientific notation and considering it is a typical middle school skill he should work to refresh his knowledge. Looking back we realized that he did 'middle school math' in 4th grade which was several years ago. His science courses are more age typical - not advanced- so he never had SN required in his science work. So, learning it four years ago and not revisiting it allowed him to forget.  She noted that this is not unusual with her advanced middle-schoolers. Several have similar issues.

At any rate, since he will be required to take standardized tests (AMP)  at the end of the year, she recommended brushing up on probability/statistics/data collection sections and the geometry sections. 

So, I find myself in need of a solid middle school program that will allow us to refresh the basics of the above but allow us to skip over fractions, percents, etc that he can handle easily. When we did that level the first time we used ALEKS so I'm not sure what else is out there. 

If anyone has any curriculum suggestions for me to look at, that would be great. I'm open to pretty much anything that won't cost a fortune and won't require us to slog through what he already knows ( so no Saxon, Teaching Textbook, etc)  basically I'm looking for a good solid 8th grade, typical of public school math textbook.

I'd look into any college arithmetic or pre-algebra textbook -- the topics will be organized by chapter so he can take the chapter test as a diagnostic and you can focus only on what he misses, and they will be super cheap if you go with old editions. 

I just looked up Khan 8th grade. I had no idea I could find things by grade level. We use Khan for algebra topics ( and today for Scientific Notation after he messed that up on the placement test. But, I had no idea I could just search grade 8 and have topics pop up.Well, dang, Gil. You're good.   Thanks for some starting points. We've been out of the market for middle school math books for a few years and I didn't know what was out there.