Menu

Attention to details.

Tsutsie

I'll try to keep this short.

My son (9) is currently finishing up DM 7B. He definitely understands the work, but continually makes silly mistakes - even if it is just a simple handwriting issue. (He generally works very neatly.) He would "forget" to write a negative or make a 4 look like a 6. He continuously forgets to write the unit, looses exponents, etc. He easily spots his mistake and is able to fix it without my help. 

He same with playing violin. He plays beautifully and at a higher than expected level for his age, but he hates to practice slowly and work on the small details. 

We spend days/weeks on fixing mistakes or working on pieces he definitely can do if he'll just slow down and pay attention. He has proven this over and over again. I have been trying to explain all of this to him for YEARS, but nothing I say, not demonstration I do, reward or punishment seem to make him understand. 

We are at the point now that he does not like math of violin any more because we are telling him the same things over and over and over again. "Slow down and be careful," but to no avail.

So frustrating! 

Any ideas?

This is developmentally appropriate.

Have him use colored pencils for negative signs, units, exponents - anything that causes trouble. Different colors for different stuff. This will slow him down automatically.

Work on graph paper.

Have him write only one equation per line, no run on equations

Patience and perseverance, and waiting for maturity, will help.

My dd10 struggles with this in her algebra work too.  I think part of it is the age, part is messy handwriting (forgetting that her variable is an "s" and thinking that what she wrote is a "5", for example), and part is trying to do too much in her head.  Some days are great, and others are well ... not.  It is frustrating, and I don't have any words of wisdom, only my empathy.  He is not alone!

This is an executive functioning issue which is related to maturity and normal development.  It will cure itself (almost certainly) with no intervention.  No punishment or reward can push a child into being into a more mature state of development.

Regentrude has great suggestions about how to help him manage in the meantime.

I forgot to comment on the violin part. Maybe he would enjoy that again if you let him work on some easy, fun pieces. Have him pick some fun fiddle pieces or something he likes and don't make him fix everything. Just let him enjoy it for a little while. My daughter has a mixture of pieces to work on, from easy stuff that she can sight read and perform right away to very challenging stuff that I know will take her all year to get close to ready. Since she can work quickly on some stuff, if seems to make it easier for her to slow down and focus on the hard stuff. She also "grants requests" to dh when he comes home and plays favorite pieces from the past for him. On days when the tough stuff might be kicking her down, it really lifts her up to see how far she has come.

Sounds like a typical 9 year old boy.  His development is going to be asynchronous for many more years as his advanced thinking skills far outpaces his otherwise child-like, developing mind.  Loving patience is what he needs.

I forgot to comment on the violin part. Maybe he would enjoy that again if you let him work on some easy, fun pieces. Have him pick some fun fiddle pieces or something he likes and don't make him fix everything. Just let him enjoy it for a little while. My daughter has a mixture of pieces to work on, from easy stuff that she can sight read and perform right away to very challenging stuff that I know will take her all year to get close to ready. Since she can work quickly on some stuff, if seems to make it easier for her to slow down and focus on the hard stuff. She also "grants requests" to dh when he comes home and plays favorite pieces from the past for him. On days when the tough stuff might be kicking her down, it really lifts her up to see how far she has come.

:iagree:

I teach violin, and totally agree with this. Every single day I slow kids down, work on fixing technique, model how to practice. I've been doing this year after year with some kids, still working to fix the same problems!!  My philosophy is that music should be a joy, so I mix in as much fun music as I can, whatever excites the students, both kids and adults.  With some it's Star Wars or Disney tunes, this time of year it often is Christmas music.  Some really like Irish or Bluegrass fiddle tunes.  Sometimes we play duets for fun.  None of it is a quick and permanent fix to the problems, but there are usually fewer corrections to make in pieces they know and love, giving me the opportunity to focus on some specific issues.

The attention to details will improve over time as he grows and his brain matures.  In the meantime do whatever tricks help remind him to focus while still nurturing his love of both math and violin.   

With the violin, can you let the teacher correct him and leave him alone?  I don't know if it is the best approach, but I am doing what I can to stay out of the way in my child's music lessons - I make sure the practice happens, but do everything I can to keep my mouth shut about technique or anything I could nit-pick about.  

For the attention to detail in school work, I am learning to pick my battles.  I don't have much advice, but I am there with you on a child with a different personality than mine - one that is not nearly as careful about things being just right.

This is developmentally appropriate.

Have him use colored pencils for negative signs, units, exponents - anything that causes trouble. Different colors for different stuff. This will slow him down automatically.

Work on graph paper.

Have him write only one equation per line, no run on equations

Patience and perseverance, and waiting for maturity, will help.

To add to this: try quadrille paper (with big squares - 1/4" or larger).  One symbol / number allowed per box, no more.  Even our 12 year old has this problem from time to time!