Menu

How long should third grade take? (Daily)

What subjects are you teaching? It could easily take 4 hours if you delve into history, science, art, and music (etc) and do accompanying projects. A decent art/history/science project could take an hour out of the day right there. And when I read aloud to the kids, it's 40-60 minutes of reading, so there goes another hour.

If you're just doing reading, writing, and arithmetic then 4 hours is a long time, but if you're adding extra subjects then 4 hours sounds reasonable to me.

Our accelerated 3rd grader works about 3 hours a day, give or take. I call him accelerated because he works AHEAD of his peers, but he doesn't really work MORE than his peers, heh.

That doesn't count free reading (which is definitely enrichment), playing outside, chores, Lego time (another form of enrichment, on the right day), or karate.

Morgan's seatwork is between 2-3 hours.  Closer to 2 when she is on it - usually an hour and a half in the morning, and then an hour-ish after lunch. Seatwork includes math, grammar, spelling, writing, spanish, and cursive.  Seatwork doesn't include history, science, lit (read aloud by me or buddy-read together) or her reading and/or listening to audiobooks.  That adds another 2+ hours a day.

ETA: I didn't realize I was posting on the accelerated board.  Morgan isn't particularly accelerated, although she is an advanced reader.  Whatevs, I'll leave it up anyway!

It takes us considerably longer. Keep in kind that all my time estimates include dancing around, talking with his brother, going to the bathroom, fetching water...... With that in mind, my younger works about an hour on math, 45 minutes on French, 45 minutes on reading, one hour science or history, half an hour writing, and about an hour between spelling, grammar, vocab.... That brings us to about 5 hours. Actual work is less though.

Ohh, I included everything, not just seat work.

ok.  I think I will ease up on the math.  That takes up a bit of time each day.  I'd like to keep it closer to 3, without projects and music practice.

And there is an issue of focus at times that adds to this.

He's been whining about handwriting for 20 minutes this afternoon, I'm not counting that in our totals. :nopity:

My kids have only done about 2 hrs of schoolwork per day in 3rd grade, not including music practice or reading. If I were to tally up all the hours they spend doing academic activities, then it would probably be far more, but I only require 2 hrs.

I ratchet up the requirements in 4th (to 3 hrs) and again in 5th (to 4 hrs). I feel like that has been age appropriate for my kids.  

Different families have different priorities. The LCC approach has daily foreign langauge while science is only 1x/wk until high school. In contrast, my DS is doing daily science and only 2x/wk Latin. So it's hard to compare schedules when not everyone agrees on which subjects are core vs. secondary vs. electives. The 3R's are going to be daily for most kids, but beyond that it really varies.