Menu

Would LfC work for 6th or 7th grade?

Baseballmom

I have been researching LFC and it looks wonderful, but it is for younger children. My son has only finish Prima Latina, but we are ready to move on. Is there something out there better suited for starting Latin in middle school? If you started LfC with a middle schooler could you please give me your input.

Thank you

It's his first experience with Latin and he enjoys it. It helps that he's doing better than I am with it. :p The new DVD's also tickle his funny bone.

We aren't moving as fast as we could because I let Latin slide before other subjects. I also assign all of the work sheets from the web site, plus the activity book.

BTW, Classical Press is coming out with a new Latin program for middle schoolers. I believe it's due out next fall. I may do LFC 2 next year to let them get the bugs out.

For a middle schooler, you might consider Latin Prep by Galore Park. It will have him translating right off the bat, and the passages are definitely boy-pleasing (ancient Roman fighting stuff).

My dd used LFC A & B and loved it though; like Kathy's son, my dd loved the humor in the DVDs. We're now using Latin Prep and all the memorization we did in LFC is really paying off. It's very possible that LFC will move too slowly for a 12yo, and he might get bored with it. Check out Latin Prep and see what you think.

http://www.galorepark.co.uk/

I would certainly think it would be fine. I tried to use it with a 2nd and 5th grader and it did NOT work. The grammar was much too intense for my youngest. It was just within my older dd's ability but it moved way too fast for her. If I had to do it over again, I would have waited at least another year to use it.

I'm using it with a 5th grader, aged 10. We started in B, but he did get through most of Latina Christiana 1 before.

LfC has more vocabulary than LC, and of course, the words are not necessary the same.

I wouldn't hesitate to accelerate through Book A, especially if your child has a good grounding in grammar. Then double up on the vocabulary while doing Book B.

It is intense for 3rd/4th grade, IMO. It is not childish by any stretch, and it moves fast. We do it in a co-op and there are 2 6th graders in our group. We have 2 very bright 3rd graders, 3 4th graders and 2 6th graders in the class and they all are learning it well. I think it is too much for the average

3rd grader. It goes WAY more in depth than Prima Latina, so the only repeating we have seen is a few vocab words. PL doesn't go near into the grammar as LfC and they have been translating since about Ch 11. HTH.

I think it's perfect for a 6th grader, actually. We started LFC A when dd was 12, continued with LFC B, then changed to Learn to Read Latin for 8th grade.

She's now a 9th grader in honors Latin II in a rigorous college prep school and easily has the highest grade in the class (97, 98ish). Needless to say, we're mighty pleased with her foundational learning.