Menu

Physical Science a not so mathy option??

I'm afraid that my son [14yo] is bored by the Derek Owens Physical Science that we are using.  He likes math but he says this science is so mathy that it takes the fun out of science.  Can you please give me some suggestions of a more engaging Science curriculum appropriate for 8th grade?  I was thinking about checking out Dive in to Science.

Thank you so much for the replies.  Hewitt's Conceptual series seems like it will be a good fit.  Even though many say it will not be enough for a STEM kid, I think it will be a great introduction.  Now I have to decide whether to use Physical Science or Physics--suggestions?

I just can't break myself loose from the "old school" sequence:  physical science -- biology -- chemistry -- physics.  The arguments for going in the reverse order are compelling (which would eliminate physical science from being useful), but I did not prepare any of my children for that.

I think the key is to remember it is still 8th grade. You have 4 years to do rigorous sciences. Two a year if you like, just look at my sig. Don't over-stress it now. Let him love science a little longer. 

What is his math level? Did he have a strong algebra class last year? If not, I'd definitely go with Hewitt. Physical Science is a good 8th grade choice, but whichever he is more interested in can work.

Thank you so much for the replies.  Hewitt's Conceptual series seems like it will be a good fit.  Even though many say it will not be enough for a STEM kid, I think it will be a great introduction.  Now I have to decide whether to use Physical Science or Physics--suggestions?

It's not enough for a STEM kid in *high school*.  It would be just fine in 8th grade.

As far as whether to use Physical Science or Physics, if you want an introduction to physics and chemistry, use Physical Science, and if you just want physics, use Physics.  If you plan to have him do both physics and chemistry in high school, it would probably be good to do an overview of both now (hence, Physical Science).

Uh-oh, I ordered the Conceptual Physics but didn't realize there were two level [college/high school].  I wonder how much more difficult the college level book will be.

We used Real Science for Kids Physics and Chemistry last year so he has already had an introduction to both so he was not interested in Physical Science which would again cover both.