Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW42

Robin M

Not much reading happened today but I have had a great day! It is my birthday.....explored a fun new to us village/town, went out for lasagne(a favourite), then listened to the dc's play Happy Birthday on the bells at practice from the comfort of my living room. I normally climb the 94 steps to join them, mom holiday tonight. ;)

That is SO COOL.  Shifty eyes notwithstanding.

NO WAY!!! Mine too.   :cheers2:

Happy, happy birthday to mumto2 and Pam!  Wishing you much joy and many good books in the year ahead.

I finished reading The Lighthouse (P.D. James) which was--searching for words here.  James is a good writer but the finer points of this mystery missed the mark for me. 

Has anyone here ever mentioned Some Girls, Some Hats and Hitler? This is a memoir that may answer a question from this future time, namely why didn't Austrian Jews see the handwriting on the wall and leave before the Anschluss?

Speaking of covers, I love this one but then I love a good hat!

some-girls-some-hats-and-hitler-97814767

My cover has a different quote, this one from Alice Hoffman:

Every Holocaust story is worth remembering, and Trudi's is unique--she refuses to lose her vision of what the world should be at its very best:  a place of red roses, Paris avenues, and above all else, true love.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just forwarded this to dh as a big hint! :lol: There is a Chateaux there also......

Not much reading happened today but I have had a great day! It is my birthday.....explored a fun new to us village/town, went out for lasagne(a favourite), then listened to the dc's play Happy Birthday on the bells at practice from the comfort of my living room. I normally climb the 94 steps to join them, mom holiday tonight. ;)

Happy Belated Birthday to you both! 

Picked up Alice Hoffman's, 'The Red Garden' as a kindle $1.99 deal. I read a lot of her in my twenties but haven't read her recently. As it turns out I've got this for my last magical realism 5/5 category and another of hers, 'The Dovekeepers' for my ancient history women's pov 5/5. It's been a slow reading week overall though.

Happy birthday to both of you. I hope you treated yourselves to a new book.

I have a new book but it is a patchwork book. I wanted to figure out how to make Patchwork Puzzle balls and needed the directions. Here is a YouTube link for what I am talking about

I also finished Slaughterhouse Five early this morning. Stacia, I can't say I loved it. I googled an AP study page for the book before I started and totally understand why the book is easy to use in the classroom. So many easy to remember themes very close to the surface......so it goes..... ;) I will be honest and say the woman and pony part is something I really would prefer my kids not read. Would I assign it to mine? Probably not at this point. It isn't currently part of anything planned and I don't feel a need to add it in. Would I remove it from a library? No. If one of my kids really wanted to read it I wouldn't stop them but I would be pretty surprised if ds made it happily through the first few pages. So I sit firmly in the middle ground not assigning or wanting it assigned, but not banning.

Reminds me a little of Steampark a board game that's popular chez nous. Btw, Kareni, I really enjoyed 'The Night Circus'.

Whoa.  I had never heard of that game before and my DH brought it home LAST night.  Seriously.  

Just forwarded this to dh as a big hint! :lol: There is a Chateaux there also......

Happy birthday to you ...

... and happy birthday to you!

:party:  Happy Belated Birthday to Pam and Mum2!

I also finished Slaughterhouse Five early this morning. Stacia, I can't say I loved it. I googled an AP study page for the book before I started and totally understand why the book is easy to use in the classroom. So many easy to remember themes very close to the surface......so it goes..... ;) I will be honest and say the woman and pony part is something I really would prefer my kids not read. Would I assign it to mine? Probably not at this point. It isn't currently part of anything planned and I don't feel a need to add it in. Would I remove it from a library? No. If one of my kids really wanted to read it I wouldn't stop them but I would be pretty surprised if ds made it happily through the first few pages. So I sit firmly in the middle ground not assigning or wanting it assigned, but not banning.

I was wondering who else said they were going to read it!  I couldn't remember!  I appreciated hearing your thoughts  ;)

I finished book #47 today, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.  This was the pick of one of the girls in our co-op reading group.  I don't understand why Dickens's novels do not read like this story.  I truly enjoyed it (again) and am always amazed that I love his writing and descriptions in this book but find it tedious in his other books.  There is an abundance of good vocabulary (much like Washington Irving's short stories) and truly some delightful descriptions, my favorite being when the ghost of Christmas Present shows him Christmas morning about the town.  Made my mouth water.  I'll be interested in how our book discussion goes.  I know that Aly is less than fond of this book.  I thought she would like it better this second time around (being older), but I guess not.  My favorite quote was about Scrooge's nephew, Fred...  "It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good-humour."  

Next up I will finally get to the 4th Michael Vey book.  

Yay. Glad you read it, even if it's not a favorite. :)

Surely there's someone else here who loves this book???

echo.gif

Yay. Glad you read it, even if it's not a favorite. :)

Surely there's someone else here who loves this book???

echo.gif

Confession (since it is good for the soul ;) ):  I adored Vonnegut in high school and my first couple of years of college. He, Jerzy Kosinski, and Hermann Hesse were probably my favorite writers back then.  What is peculiar though is that I have not read any of their works since! 

Cat's Cradle has been in my dusty stack for some time now.

Yesterday I read with pleasure Mary Balogh's An Unacceptable Offer; it's one of her older romances that I found recently at a thrift store.

"Although the most dashing bachelor in London, Viscount Fairfax, overlooks her exquisitely beautiful cousin and proposes to her instead, Miss Jane Matthews puts pride before mad desire and risks saying no to the handsome lord."

Regards,

Kareni

Confession (since it is good for the soul ;) ): I adored Vonnegut in high school and my first couple of years of college. He, Jerzy Kosinski, and Hermann Hesse were probably my favorite writers back then. What is peculiar though is that I have not read any of their works since!

I loved Siddhartha in my teens. I read it several times. Sort of afraid to read it now.

I loved Siddhartha in my teens. I read it several times. Sort of afraid to read it now.

I read Siddarttha for the first time two years ago. I didn't think it was bad but I wasn't terribly impressed.

ETA: I may have enjoyed it more when I was young, my tastes have changed.

So, right now I'm reading another of LeFanu's ghost stories, The Fortunes of Sir Robert Arden.

I just came across this passage: "The fair haired beauty had a large proportion of that softness and pliability of temper which physiognomists assign as the characteristics of such complexions. She was much more the creature of impulse than of feeling, and consequently more the victim of extrinsic circumstances than was her sister. "

Can you believe it?! He called her a dumb blonde and made it sound scientific. I'm astounded.

Happy Belated Birthday - Pam!   :cheers2:   Hope you had an awesome day as well!

It's my turn to be in a book funk.  I can't get into any one particular book.  Today went through my tbr piled and shelved quite a few.  Decided if haven't read them in 2 or more years, there's not sense in keeping in the active pile now, is there?  My nightstand actually looks much neater and less overwhelming.  Think I'll give Mercedes Lackey's Bastion, #5 in the fantasy series - Collegium Chronicles -  a go tonight.

Those who enjoy urban fantasy or who might be looking for something new to read (cough, cough, Robin), might find the following blog post of interest. Be aware that there is adult language. And do read the 54 (at this time) comments.

The Rec League: Character Driven Urban Fantasy

Regards,

Kareni

You are awesome, thank you. yes I've read quite a few of the authors mentioned. However lots mentioned who are new to me so I'll be checking them out.

Those who enjoy urban fantasy or who might be looking for something new to read (cough, cough, Robin), might find the following blog post of interest. Be aware that there is adult language. And do read the 54 (at this time) comments.

The Rec League: Character Driven Urban Fantasy

Regards,

Kareni

Pretty much all I can say about that list is Wow!. Mentioned all my favourites so credible ;) but talks about many authors I keep bumping into when browsing in overdrive. My biggest problem is I need to finish the series I have started exploring before adding mor and confusing myself!

Flavorwire has a list of 10 New Translated Books to Read Right Now. I think Jane has already read one on the list (Our Lady of the Nile).

Indeed I have.

Several on that list look very interesting. And of course my library has none of them.  Pfui.

Well, as Stacia regularly notes, we do need to support independent publishers.

Thanks!

Flavorwire has a list of 10 New Translated Books to Read Right Now. I think Jane has already read one on the list (Our Lady of the Nile).

Indeed I have.

Several on that list look very interesting. And of course my library has none of them.  Pfui.

Well, as Stacia regularly notes, we do need to support independent publishers.

Thanks!

Interesting list, Stacia. I recall when Jane posted about 'Our Lady of the Nile' and being intrigued enough to put it on my tbr list. Thanks for keeping the indies in our lens. As a kindle owner I have tended to veer towards the Amazon giant. Speaking of which...Georgette Heyer fans will be pleased to see that 'These Old Shades', the first in the Alastair-Audley series, is available for $1.99 as a kindle daily deal.

Confession (since it is good for the soul ;) ):  I adored Vonnegut in high school and my first couple of years of college. He, Jerzy Kosinski, and Hermann Hesse were probably my favorite writers back then.  What is peculiar though is that I have not read any of their works since! 

Jane, your Jerzy Kosinski reference took me on a little trip down memory lane. I went through a JK period at a certain point in my college years, too. And of course the movie adaptation of 'Being There' with the talented Peter Sellers was wonderful.

Given the discussion of works in translation, I'm reminded of this book about which I heard good things.  Have any of you read it?

Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything by David Bellos

"An NBCC Award and Los Angeles Times Book Award finalist

A New York Times Notable Book for 2011
One of The Economist’s 2011 Books of the Year

People speak different languages, and always have. The Ancient Greeks took no notice of anything unless it was said in Greek; the Romans made everyone speak Latin; and in India, people learned their neighbors’ languages—as did many ordinary Europeans in times past (Christopher Columbus knew Italian, Portuguese, and Castilian Spanish as well as the classical languages). But today, we all use translation to cope with the diversity of languages. Without translation there would be no world news, not much of a reading list in any subject at college, no repair manuals for cars or planes; we wouldn’t even be able to put together flat-pack furniture.

Is That a Fish in Your Ear? ranges across the whole of human experience, from foreign films to philosophy, to show why translation is at the heart of what we do and who we are. Among many other things, David Bellos asks: What’s the difference between translating unprepared natural speech and translating Madame Bovary? How do you translate a joke? What’s the difference between a native tongue and a learned one? Can you translate between any pair of languages, or only between some? What really goes on when world leaders speak at the UN? Can machines ever replace human translators, and if not, why?

But the biggest question Bellos asks is this: How do we ever really know that we’ve understood what anybody else says—in our own language or in another? Surprising, witty, and written with great joie de vivre, this book is all about how we comprehend other people and shows us how, ultimately, translation is another name for the human condition."

Regards,

Kareni

I know of Alfred John Church from his retelling of the Odyssey and Aeneid for children.  I see a number of his other books are currently available for free to Kindle readers.

Roman life in the days of Cicero

Stories From Livy

Lords of the World A story of the fall of Carthage and Corinth

Stories from the Greek Tragedians

The Story of the Odyssey

Stories from Virgil

Callias A Tale of the Fall of Athens

The Burning of Rome

Regards,

Kareni

Okay, and one more free Kindle book ~ this one is described as Bollypunk!

Third Daughter (The Dharian Affairs, Book One) by Susan Kaye Quinn

"The Third Daughter of the Queen wants her birthday to arrive so she'll be free to marry for love, but rumors of a new flying weapon may force her to accept a barbarian prince's proposal for a peace-brokering marriage. Desperate to marry the charming courtesan she loves, Aniri agrees to the prince's proposal as a subterfuge in order to spy on him, find the weapon, and hopefully avoid both war and an arranged marriage to a man she does not love.

Third Daughter is the first book in the The Dharian Affairs Trilogy (Third Daughter, Second Daughter, First Daughter). This steampunk-goes-to-Bollywood (Bollypunk!) romance that takes place in an east-Indian-flavored alternate world filled with skyships, saber duels, and lots of royal intrigue. And, of course, kissing."

Regards,

Kareni

I know of Alfred John Church from his retelling of the Odyssey and Aeneid for children.  I see a number of his other books are currently available for free to Kindle readers.

Roman life in the days of Cicero

Stories From Livy

Lords of the World A story of the fall of Carthage and Corinth

Stories from the Greek Tragedians

The Story of the Odyssey

Stories from Virgil

Callias A Tale of the Fall of Athens

The Burning of Rome

Regards,

Kareni

I hope you have mentioned this on the General and High School boards.  This could be very helpful.

Speaking of which...Georgette Heyer fans will be pleased to see that 'These Old Shades', the first in the Alastair-Audley series, is available for $1.99 as a kindle daily deal.

"The Third Daughter of the Queen wants her birthday to arrive so she'll be free to marry for love, but rumors of a new flying weapon may force her to accept a barbarian prince's proposal for a peace-brokering marriage. Desperate to marry the charming courtesan she loves, Aniri agrees to the prince's proposal as a subterfuge in order to spy on him, find the weapon, and hopefully avoid both war and an arranged marriage to a man she does not love.

Third Daughter is the first book in the The Dharian Affairs Trilogy (Third Daughter, Second Daughter, First Daughter). This steampunk-goes-to-Bollywood (Bollypunk!) romance that takes place in an east-Indian-flavored alternate world filled with skyships, saber duels, and lots of royal intrigue. And, of course, kissing."

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks to Shukriyya and Kareni, my iPad is a little "heavier" this afternoon.  I downloaded the Heyer book as I figured it is time to give her a try.  And Bollypunk?!!  Sign me up!!   I also picked up another Daily Deal, Peony, by Pearl Buck.

Just waving hello -- busy times so I've barely been reading the thread much less making progress on my books.  But, all the books in my house are now put away!!  This morning I gave away the last of my curriculum to a homeschool mom friend who has many years of homeschooling yet to go, what with the youngest of her 5 kids only being 4 years old!  

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you! I am on the waiting list for the soon to be released Bollywood Affair http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2014/04/24/sonali-dev-a-bollywood-affair-cover-reveal/8056153/ which I ran into while browsing in overdrive--I definately have learned to browse the e library quite effectively. The only Bollywood movie I have ever watched (quite recently) was really fun so I am looking forward to trying these books. Something different.

Sigh - glitchy posting.

Jenn - I hope you like Heyer as much as I do. : )

Happy belated birthday to Mumto2 and Pam!!!

Kareni - That babblefish books sounds interesting. I have spent some time translating from English to English. If anyone reads the book, perhaps you would tell us about it? I, too, often wonder how anyone can understand anyone else, even in the same language. I think a lot of the time we don't, unless there is a large cultural overlap. When I think how much my fairly straightforward family (no headgames, barbs, or sarcasm here) alters meaning by slightly changing the wording so that it appears to be another way of saying the same thing but really says something different, I despair, but then I remember that one of the reasons I like my dog is because I speak some cat and she has kitty ears so I have some idea what she is saying. Maybe we aren't really relying on language as much as we think?

Bollypunk?! I have some idea of what makes something steampunk, but what makes something bolly, other than an Indian setting?

I finished Chalice. Reluctantly. It has typical Robin McKinley pacing, which is a bit different, so I don't know if anyone else would like it, but I loved it. It is rather like her Spindle's End, except about honey instead of spinning. I just bought two giant jars at the fair to go into our bread and on our oatmeal, so it was fun to be reading about its magical powers. Spindle's End and Chalice are both what I think of as domestic books, books which make me happy to be keeping house and settled. It was a good antidote to derigging the boats, which was the other thing I did today. We got the winter spar on the mooring, too, something my husband was relieved to get done before the snow flies. Fortunately, the today's predictions for 20kt. gusts never materialized.

I am now reading Ten Years After, the third of my Patricia Wrede series.

I am also reading bits of The Arts of the Sailor because I have to mend our canvas bags. We live out of them and have worn right through the handles. Last time I tried to mend one, I had a horrible time and I refused to do it again without a palm. Palms come one-size-fits-extra-large-man, and my hands are small, so I was using the book to help me to figure out one is used so I could successfully cut my huge one apart and sew back together again in such a way that it would be possible to use. In the end, the book wasn't very helpful for that particular purpose. Instead, my middle son, who has worked on schooners, showed me how he uses his. They aren't cheap and cutting it up was rather scary. It took me a week of wrapping it around my hand every few hours to figure out how I wanted it. I wish I'd done it ages ago. It makes sewing thick things SO much easier. The book has been useful for some knots and for the new way of patching something it taught me. Next, I have to tackle a few small tears in our mainsail. The book is surprisingly readable and has the endorsement of middle son and one of my extra sons, both of whom are sailors on schooners.

Nan

I hope you have mentioned this on the General and High School boards.  This could be very helpful.

I dithered about where to post the free Alfred John Church books and ultimately decided on the Logic Stage board.  I've now cross posted on those other boards.

Regards,

Kareni