Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW42

Robin M

Well, I finished Deathless. The "adult content" got a little on the disturbing side for me. The story also became convoluted and confusing, but that seemed to be the nature of the tale. I would no longer recommend the book to a friend, but that's just me. I like a fairy tale that makes me feel good at the end, not one that makes me ponder the meaning of life too deeply. That is the reason I read non-fiction; I want to escape all that when I read fantasy.

I began Green Tea and Other Ghost Stories by J. Sheridan LeFanu. The language is very reminiscent of Jane Austen which brings me to a question. Did people really talk like that? If they talked like that, did they actually think like that? I always considered Austen  amusing because of the elevated and pretentious dialogue of the characters, especially when they are describing other characters. I find myself being amused by this ghost story (Green Tea) but I wonder if the author intended for me to be amused.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The language is very reminiscent of Jane Austen which brings me to a question. Did people really talk like that? If they talked like that, did they actually think like that? I always considered Austen  amusing because of the elevated and pretentious dialogue of the characters, especially when they are describing other characters. ...

Can you give an example?  I've read and reread Jane Austen, and my impression was that the "normal" characters sounded normal and the abnormal ones spoke in such a way that their abnormalness showed through their speech as well as their actions, which is funny at times, since much of Jane Austen is poking fun at pretentiousness.  Do you see that pretentiousness in her supposedly normal characters?  Other than more formality between family members, that is?  It would sound odd to me to have someone say ma'am when speaking to their mother, for example, although "sir" to a father sounds pretty normal.  Not something we do a whole lot in our family except to emphasize that we are going to follow the directions carefully or to tell someone they are being a bit bossy or to compliment someone on their decisiveness, or perhaps to demonstrate contriteness.  Some families in our area do it more routinely, though.  I thought it had to do more with whether a family was military or not.  It sounds really normal to me when my children say, "Yes, sir!" to one of us when we are sailing.  It is short for "I understood what you are asking me to do, I am able to do it right away.  I will do it.."  I think that kind of formality is particularly obvious in Lady Susan.  That is all letters, so the formality would be emphasized.  But maybe that isn't what you meant?  Lots of Jane Austen's characters are silly about things.  She thought they were then and they are now.  At least *I* think so.  I guess I don't really know for sure.  It isn't as though I've studied her.

For all you book lovers - My copy of Lady Susan has the first word of each next page printed in the bottom corner of the current page.  I thought it was odd until I read the book aloud.  It makes it possible to read smoothly across the page turns. Very helpful!

Nan

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it." (Jack Sparrow) How on earth did we miss Kracken Day?

Don't think I'll tell my seafarers about that one lol. They're already petrified of pirates. They don't need to be reminded about krackens.

Isn't there a story about an aquarium worker who was almnost fired for stealing and reselling fish until to catch him red-handed, the aquarium rigged up a campera and discovered that the octopus in the next tank was helping himself to a midnight snack, carefully replacing his lid on his way back home?

I know what I'll read for this week - The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. I've been meaning to reread that for awhile. Maybe I can get my mother to read it aloud to me. She does a fabulous job.

Good catch, Jane!

Nan

Folks, how did we miss this one! Cephalopod Awareness Days were October 8 - 12, namely Octopus Day (10/8), Nautilus Night (10/9), Squid/Cuttlefish Day (10/10), Kraken Day (10/11) and Fossil Day (10/12).

More here.

Ties in with this week's ocean reading.

Indeed!

Nautilus Night caught my eye with its poetry and nod to the, you know, 'lesser known' cephalopods ;) "... a time for all the lesser-known extant cephalopods. The chambered nautilus, unlike other modern cephalopods, still has an external shell. It has many chambers inside its shell, which hold gas. By changing the amount of gas inside, it can make itself sink or float. It spends most of its time in deep water but comes to shallower water at night to feed."

Have you all seen the 50s movie Jason and the Argonauts? A veritable wonder of Technicolor and special effects. In a cinematic blending and blurring of mythos that only Hollywood can do there is a dramatic scene with a kraken. It's one of ds's faves so he'll be rather chuffed to hear of a day devoted to this creature.

ETA Well, I stand corrected. The Kraken doesn't appear in Jason and the Argonauts. It's Clash of the Titans (equally mythos blurring), the 81 version with Laurence Olivier and Maggie Smith among others with the dramatic Kraken scene. A fave of ds's as well though he's annoyed with the mixing up of myths or as he says "heavily modified to fit the screen."

I finished Naked in Death and Glory in Death by JD Robb.  They were okay.  Everyone here is sick, and round two started this weekend, so we're all tired and grumpy, which makes me enjoy light reading even more.  I started Whose Body? and am enjoying it.  I finished a couple other junky vampire type books last week too as I was too tired/sick to really read or think.  I'm hoping this week is better, but it's off to a not-so-great start today.

I want to get back to The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, but am thinking I don't really want to finish Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.

Michelle, I hope you all start feeling better soon!

All this talk(and pictures) of sea creatures has me wanting to watch the Dr. Doolittle movie with Rex Harrison! I love that movie.....just need to find it.

I now have Faith Hunter's latest Jane Yellowrock on my kindle!!! As you can tell it has made me oddly excited on a really dreary wet day. Dc's are getting a great deal of school done. Only problem is I no longer know which book to read. Decisions....

Thank you!  She's not conservative at all.  In fact I think she likes books with a bit of nakedness in them.  

You're quite welcome.  A few more suggestions for your friend:

Rachel Gibson's Chinook series (The Chinooks are a hockey team.)  I'd start with See Jane Score.

SEALed with a Kiss  and follow up books in the series by Mary Margret Daughtridge.

Sea Swept and the other books in the Chesapeake Bay series by Nora Roberts.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm almost finished with the second book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books and kicking myself for starting them. They're not bad but they're not good either. Sometimes I wish I could just put it down and let it go... I have The Historian waiting and I think I'd rather be reading that one! 

Can you give an example? I've read and reread Jane Austen, and my impression was that the "normal" characters sounded normal and the abnormal ones spoke in such a way that their abnormalness showed through their speech as well as their actions, which is funny at times, since much of Jane Austen is poking fun at pretentiousness. Do you see that pretentiousness in her supposedly normal characters? Other than more formality between family members, that is? It would sound odd to me to have someone say ma'am when speaking to their mother, for example, although "sir" to a father sounds pretty normal. Not something we do a whole lot in our family except to emphasize that we are going to follow the directions carefully or to tell someone they are being a bit bossy or to compliment someone on their decisiveness, or perhaps to demonstrate contriteness. Some families in our area do it more routinely, though. I thought it had to do more with whether a family was military or not. It sounds really normal to me when my children say, "Yes, sir!" to one of us when we are sailing. It is short for "I understood what you are asking me to do, I am able to do it right away. I will do it.." I think that kind of formality is particularly obvious in Lady Susan. That is all letters, so the formality would be emphasized. But maybe that isn't what you meant? Lots of Jane Austen's characters are silly about things. She thought they were then and they are now. At least *I* think so. I guess I don't really know for sure. It isn't as though I've studied her.

Nan

I was thinking about the way in which characters in stories talk about other characters as though they are conversing about the characteristics of a bug under a microscope, making all kinds of remarks about personal appearance, fortune, education, etc. I notice this particularly about Emma by Austen.

Quotes from Green Tea: (This is from a personal letter one character is writing about another, to a third party.)

"The Rev.Mr. James is tall and thin.....He is naturally a little stately, but not at all stiff. His features, without being handsome, are well formed, and their expression extremely kind but shy...The modesty and benevolence of his countenance are extremely prepossessing...he joined agreeably enough in the conversation. He seems to enjoy listening very much more than contributing to the talk, but what he says is always to the purpose and well said. He is a great favorite of lady Mary's, who it seems, consults him upon many things, and thinks him the most happy and blessed person on earth.....(he) is a bachelor, and has, they say, sixty thousand pounds in the funds. He is a charitable man...."

Every thing is given a kind of positive spin and elaborated on till there can be no doubt of the first person's regard for the second person, even if it does not exist. :-)

I think it's been awhile since I updated books I'm reading so this may be a jumble. 

Five-Plant Gardens~surprisingly good with lots of combinations 

Odd Hours~I was surprised at how action packed this one was. I think Koontz has figured out a new long-term story arc. 

The Dudes Abide~ The making of the Coen Brothers movie The Big Lebowski. Other than a few insights into their process it was fairly dull. 

I think I've managed to finish my Scotland obsession. The Winter Sea is a parallel historical romance (modern day and 18th century Scotland). I really enjoyed the modern character and her writing process, but I thought historical story suffered from romance cliches. It was fine in the beginning but as the historical story took over and a connection was made between the past and present I had trouble. The history was good though, and it satisfied some interest I have in migration between Scotland and Ireland. I'd like to read more about the Scotch-Irish connection, but maybe in a month or two.

I read my first Boswell. Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel L Johnson which he released as a kind of teaser for his Life of Johnson.  It was very readable, somewhat surprising since Boswell is a name-dropper at the best of times and leaves swathes of Latin to prove himself worthy of the intelligentsia. Next time I'm definitely getting a print copy with footnotes because the ebook near drove me up a wall. What can I say of the two? Why in the world did Johnson go? He seemed grumpy and old, frankly. I thought Boswell's reasons for the trip were unlikely to be Johnson's reasons, considering. Perhaps he went to shut Boswell up? For a good story? And Boswell, well, the guy is like a puppy fawning over his master. In his support, I must say he certainly wasn't afraid to talk about much, even his own drunkenness, petty arguments, Latin quotations, and mildly interesting one-liners. I'd say this was less travelogue and more conversation-memoir. Boswell loves being at the Big Man's table. 

Also finished Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, which is a Booker Prize winner by Roddy Doyle. It's told from the POV of a 10-year-old Dublin boy in the '60s. The voice is spot on. Nothing is really linear. Things are added into the story by association, not relevance, the way children do when telling a story. There are many patterns and unspoken rules. Casual cruelty and violence. In some ways this is like the first half of To Kill a Mockingbird, that sense of play and joy, and in other ways it's like Lord of the Flies. I went back and forth on this one. At first I was angry and sad. Is this what a 'normal' boyhood is supposed to be? The main character is, in every other way, an extremely bright and joyful boy with a varied imagination and no noticeable neurosis. It bothered me. I have a strong memories of that time and a lot of things were so spot on to me that the bullying was painful because it made no sense to me personally. After finishing the book, I realized that while the essence of my feelings were the same, Doyle did a masterful job creating a hybrid of brightness and wrong impulse. And we, the horrified reader, become lulled into Patrick's world until the everyday allies and wars become normal. In all this, I think the best part are the subtle descriptions. Patrick's brother Sinbad comes out as the most interesting character because he's being described by a brother who has conflicted feelings about him. He hates him because you should hate a little brother. He tortures him a bit. He protects him. He needs him. He admires him. It makes for an interesting, complex outline. 

Working on some letters of Julia Child and some Neruda poetry now. Not much really. 

I just finished the last Harry Potter book. I loved the whole series and almost want to just start over again right away.

:iagree: . Those are among my favorite books. I've read the entire series at least twice, I think. 

Reading Middlesex. The writing is beautiful and the story is fascinating, but it keeps jumping around too much and I keep losing focus. Setting it aside for a bit and continuing reading Main Street Vegan.

I love that book. (I think we must have some shared tastes in books, *Inna*.) Cal/Callie is such a wonderful narrator.

Middlesex is one of my favorite books ever, thanks to Stacia, who recommended it to me time and time again, before I finally listened :D. 

Also finished Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, which is a Booker Prize winner by Roddy Doyle. It's told from the POV of a 10-year-old Dublin boy in the '60s. The voice is spot on. Nothing is really linear. Things are added into the story by association, not relevance, the way children do when telling a story. There are many patterns and unspoken rules. Casual cruelty and violence. In some ways this is like the first half of To Kill a Mockingbird, that sense of play and joy, and in other ways it's like Lord of the Flies. I went back and forth on this one. At first I was angry and sad. Is this what a 'normal' boyhood is supposed to be? The main character is, in every other way, an extremely bright and joyful boy with a varied imagination and no noticeable neurosis. It bothered me. I have a strong memories of that time and a lot of things were so spot on to me that the bullying was painful because it made no sense to me personally. After finishing the book, I realized that while the essence of my feelings were the same, Doyle did a masterful job creating a hybrid of brightness and wrong impulse. And we, the horrified reader, become lulled into Patrick's world until the everyday allies and wars become normal. In all this, I think the best part are the subtle descriptions. Patrick's brother Sinbad comes out as the most interesting character because he's being described by a brother who has conflicted feelings about him. He hates him because you should hate a little brother. He tortures him a bit. He protects him. He needs him. He admires him. It makes for an interesting, complex outline. 

I love Roddy Doyle.  I read Paddy Clarke when I was pregnant years ago and it broke my heart.  His books truly have changed my perspective and beliefs on many things.  I need to do a Doyle marathon again.

I read:

At Home - 3 Stars - I love Bryson's chatty style and the way that every historical fact is presented in an interesting, although rather meandering way. This is not as funny as his other books. It’s a really a book about how life has changed over the past few hundred years, but it’s very readable. If only all history books were this interesting!

and...

I will give it it another try...

I bought it, but then we moved, and my MIL died etc.

I just don't always have the rest in my head to read in English.

:grouphug:

I have found (and this is quite obvious, I know) that whether or not I enjoy a book or not, has so much to do with what's going on in my life at that moment. During very stressful times, I find it hard to enjoy most books. Only certain books can fill that need during those awful times. 

I'm almost finished with the second book in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books and kicking myself for starting them. They're not bad but they're not good either. Sometimes I wish I could just put it down and let it go... I have The Historian waiting and I think I'd rather be reading that one!

Just wanted to say The Historian is an all time favourite of mine. I highly recommend it.

For those interested in learning more about cephalopods, a good and highly readable book on the subject is Wendy Williams' Kraken: The Curious, Exciting, and Slightly Disturbing Science of Squid.  The Guardian did a nice review of it a couple of years ago.

It sounds like a Far Side cartoon in the making: "Why, yes! I'm interested in learning more about cephalopods!" Now I'm going to have to look for the squid book.

Boswell loves being at the Big Man's table. 

Oh yes he does.

I gather part of the goal of Boswell's book was to repair a little of the bad will generated by Johnson's own complaint-laden account of the trip.

Due to a long weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving,) I finished Moonstone.  Wahoo!   Two months it took for me to read this.  Two months to get to page 70 and then I read 400 pages in three days.  Again,  Wahoo!

I am still reading Booked by Karen Swallow Prior (I am loving her writing!) and have just started for my token fluff book,  While Beauty Slept  by Elizabeth Blackwell.

It sounds like a Far Side cartoon in the making: "Why, yes! I'm interested in learning more about cephalopods!" Now I'm going to have to look for the squid book.

Hmmm..now wondering if my life is a Far Side cartoon.  Things I have heard or been asked:  "It was an epiphany when I first saw termite guts." "Can you compute the volume of fluid in a taurus with a 22 foot radius one quarter filled with water?"  "We'll perform the necropsy outside where we are less likely to breathe in apsergillosis spores." And don't get me started on my husband's spiders.  He encourages and cultivates the beasties in our yard.

7680244602_3099eac5e3_z.jpg

The other day I was carrying veg peels to the compost pile when I walked into a Golden Silk Spider web.  Yuck.  I brushed the bits off, went back inside to continue cooking dinner  About 20 minutes later I realized that I was wearing a Golden Silk Spider (all three inches of her) on my shoulder!  I brushed her off, made sure she did not fly into a cooking pot, then tried to figure out where she went.  It took me a while to find her--in another room.  She was on the floor near my husband's computer obviously waiting for a sympathetic soul. 

Did I kill it?  Of course not.  I caught and released this silly invasive species that entertains my husband so. And isn't it freaky that it appears to be wearing a skeleton mask?

I brought home an unwanted souvenir from Hilton Head: a head cold. Boo.

I read two Flufferton Abbey books from an author some of you may enjoy: Valerie King. The first is free Wicked and Wonderful. It's a little crazy, but nice and different. The second is Wonderful Harriet and less creative but pretty well written. She has several others I may try in the coming weeks.

I picked up the next two St Cyr books from the library, though. :)

The phrase "my husband's spiders" ought to be in itself grounds for divorce. Shudder. And that anecdote, about the ... on your ....

I'm going to spray myself with Raid now.

Spiders and bats (which I really like philosophically, just not flying inside the summer cottage--another story) eat mosquitoes.  If you live where I live, you have to choose your enemies.  For me, they include ticks, mosquitoes, and copperhead snakes.  Lizards in the garage?  Cool! They eat insects!  Spiders near the front door.  Great.  Enjoy those mosquitoes, guys. 

We have mosquitoes, giant flying roaches, man-eating fire ants, rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, tarantulas, big ugly poisonous centipedes, scorpions that hide in curtains, and the world's largest urban bat colony.

I stay inside a lot during the summer. They must stay outside. That's the deal. There's a reason we live as close to the urban center as we can afford.

haven't had time to read through this wonderful thread yet- (saving that for a quiet moment and a cup of tea :) ) -but thought I would check in to say I am joining the readers of Frankenstein and enjoying it. Like several of you, I'm finding it isn't at all what I expected! I'll give you some more of my thoughts when I finish. I am also reading Dante's Inferno, but I am using a Longfellow translation/ version which is driving me crazy, so I may start over with a different edition. any thoughts?

Elaine

haven't had time to read through this wonderful thread yet- (saving that for a quiet moment and a cup of tea :) ) -but thought I would check in to say I am joining the readers of Frankenstein and enjoying it. Like several of you, I'm finding it isn't at all what I expected! I'll give you some more of my thoughts when I finish. I am also reading Dante's Inferno, but I am using a Longfellow translation/ version which is driving me crazy, so I may start over with a different edition. any thoughts?

Elaine

Looking forward to your comments on Frankenstein, Elaine.

Also, I don't have a particular translation of Dante to suggest, but since you're reading Longfellow's version, you might like The Dante Club (historical fiction murder mystery/thriller).

The New York Times Bestseller

Boston, 1865. A series of murders, all of them inspired by scenes in Dante’s Inferno. Only an elite group of America’s first Dante scholars—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Oliver Wendell Holmes, James Russell Lowell, and J. T. Fields—can solve the mystery. With the police baffled, more lives endangered, and Dante’s literary future at stake, the Dante Club must shed its sheltered literary existence and find the killer.

Blech about the spiders and bugs.  Tonight as I was fixing dinner I felt something on my hand - I thought it was a spider, but it was a bee instead.  It scared me and I accidentally killed it before I realized what it was.

I started the great 52 book challenge at the beginning of the year, then things got crazy with selling a house, finding a rental, moving, etc.  I spent a little time today sorting through my books and updating the list of books I've read.  If I'm remembering correctly (wishful thinking, I'm afraid) I have about 37 books in my list.  Not bad!  I just need a couple of double book weeks and I'll make the 52 book goal!  

I recently finished 2 books - The Racketeer by John Grisham.  It is only the 2nd Grisham book I've read.  I think i read the Pelican Brief years and years ago - same author right?  Anyway, a friend brought it to me from South Dakota all the way to VA, so I felt like I needed to read it.  I didn't love it, but I was surprised by the ending.

The other book I just finished was Unwind by Neal Shusterman.  My dd 16 needed to read it for a book club, so I read it, too.  I am not sure what the author was trying to say about abortion - is he using YA distopia to tell me that abortion is better than unwanted children?  I found that really disturbing.  Also the unwinding scene was yucky.  An odd book that didn't seem to have an ending, but did not inspire me to want to read the next book in the series.

I'm looking for a new book, and I'm enjoying your book chatter!  Thanks!

2014 Books:

37 - Unwind

36 - Racketeer

35 - Eleanor and Park

34 - The Forever Girl

33 - All the Light We Cannot See

32 - North and South

31 - Shift

30 - Wool

29 - Orange is the New Black

28 - Run - Ann Patchett

27 - Heat

26 - Story of a Happy Marriage

25 - Trim Healthy Mamas

24 - Cress

23 - Scarlet

22 - Cinder

21 - Fault in our Stars

20 - Paper Towns

19 - Written in my Own Hearts Blood

18 - Outlander

17 - G the O - Curse of the Warmbloods

16 - G the O - prophecy of Bane

15. Gregor the Overlander

14. The Alchemyst

13. Summer of the Gypsy Moths

12. The Round House

11. Ready Player One

10.Goldfinch

9.Wonder

8.Lost Lake

7. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption - Laura Hillenbrand

6. Champion, Marie Lu

5. Prodigy, Marie Lu

4. Legend, Marie Lu

3. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

2. Rapture, Lauren Kate

1. Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein

Well, the real benefit of the system that Jane's husband uses is that you don't have to go all-out for Halloween decorating. Natural, authentic decor of webs with big spiders! :lol:

(I'm with Jane's husband. I like spiders & save them, even when they're in our house. Just toted one back outdoors tonight. Even ds, who is scared of spiders, doesn't kill them in the house, but lets me know there's one & then I come remove it. Wish we had some bats around here -- we have an excessive amount of mosquitoes.)

Oohh creepy crawlies! I'm not really scared of them as long as something poisonous isn't actually on me. I opened my back door the other night to get a blanket that I'd forgotten on the clothes line and stopped short. Right across the back doorway was a huge web with a big fat spider in the middle.

I saw a meme once that said something like...Walked into a spider web. Did a week's worth of aerobics in thirty seconds.

I finished The Fault in Our Stars today. Next I'll probably pick up Unbroken again. Yay for finishing half read books!

In other news, dd and I went to check out the parish hall for her wedding reception in May. I need to order the tulle for her veil, which I'm making. I need to do a long list of things, but the books keep beckoning to me.

I brought home an unwanted souvenir from Hilton Head: a head cold. Boo.

I read two Flufferton Abbey books from an author some of you may enjoy: Valerie King. The first is free Wicked and Wonderful. It's a little crazy, but nice and different. The second is Wonderful Harriet and less creative but pretty well written. She has several others I may try in the coming weeks.

I picked up the next two St Cyr books from the library, though. :)

Hope you feel better soon. As soon as I am done here I will go retrieve my freebie. One can never have too many books especially in a form that doesn't take up shelf space!

We have mosquitoes, giant flying roaches, man-eating fire ants, rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, tarantulas, big ugly poisonous centipedes, scorpions that hide in curtains, and the world's largest urban bat colony.

I stay inside a lot during the summer. They must stay outside. That's the deal. There's a reason we live as close to the urban center as we can afford.

Have to say I am with VC on finding ways to avoid creepy crawlies. I don't actively destroy them but would rather not live with them. Ds is my relocation expert.

That being said I have a spider living inside the side mirror of my car. Everyday there is an elaborate web waiting for the wind to destroy it as I drive. He starts work as soon as the car stops.......he came out for a traffic jam the other day. Sort of cute......

Hmmm..now wondering if my life is a Far Side cartoon.  Things I have heard or been asked:  "It was an epiphany when I first saw termite guts." "Can you compute the volume of fluid in a taurus with a 22 foot radius one quarter filled with water?"  "We'll perform the necropsy outside where we are less likely to breathe in apsergillosis spores." And don't get me started on my husband's spiders.  He encourages and cultivates the beasties in our yard.

7680244602_3099eac5e3_z.jpg

The other day I was carrying veg peels to the compost pile when I walked into a Golden Silk Spider web.  Yuck.  I brushed the bits off, went back inside to continue cooking dinner  About 20 minutes later I realized that I was wearing a Golden Silk Spider (all three inches of her) on my shoulder!  I brushed her off, made sure she did not fly into a cooking pot, then tried to figure out where she went.  It took me a while to find her--in another room.  She was on the floor near my husband's computer obviously waiting for a sympathetic soul. 

Did I kill it?  Of course not.  I caught and released this silly invasive species that entertains my husband so. And isn't it freaky that it appears to be wearing a skeleton mask?

I'm going to admit that my reaction/story would not have been anything like yours. Mine would have been unsafe for children to hear. 

As for reading.....I've got nothing. I've petered out at the moment. I'm just tired. I just want to sleep. 

I finished off 'Their Eyes Were Watching God.' My thanks to whoever recommended that. It's obviously not something I'd discover on my own.

I still dream of the painting on the cover of the first copy I read of Their Eyes Were Watching God. I love the purples and greens, overhanging plants and the dreaminess in the girl's eyes. I love that the girls is the same color as the sky. I would love to have that painting. I can't even find another printing like the library binding I read in high school. Whoever designed that one did an excellent job. The greens and purples faded into the rest of the black of rest of the jacket and the painting took the entire front cover. Most of the ones who use that painting now are chopped down and all washed out. The richness of the experience is gone.

I'm always amazed at how art...especially cover art...can draw you to a story or perfectly express a theme or feel of a story. It would be interesting to hear which book covers have been stayed with any of you. 

The version of ZNH's book that I read had the cover you linked, Tam. But unlike you it didn't stay with me so vividly. I loved reading how much it moved you. As far as cover art staying with me...the one that swims up through the depths is the one for 'Charlotte's Web' with Fern holding Wilbur looking up at Charlotte and the tenuous little spider web hanging in the air. Funny I remember that as it's not particularly stellar art. I'm sure there are many more but that's what came to mind first.

Though I've not read her books...yet...almost every single cover of Patricia Mckillip's books wow me but that's because the art is by the wonderful Kinuko Craft. Her covers have stayed with me even though I've not read the books.

No book round up.

I realized mid-week I was doomed.  

I was already in the midst of -- well, more like 1/4 the way in - Mists of Avalon, which is a million pages long.  Then one night I couldn't find it, so I plucked at random off the top of the towering stack on my bedside table, and started Helene Wecker's Golem and the Jinni, recommended by shukriyya and Stacia, very engrossing, also a million pages long.  Also plowing through Isaiah, which is almost entirely incomprehensible to me, such that I have to read ten pages of explication and commentary for each page of text.  Meanwhile in the car I am listening to Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals, very funny, 12 CDs long, no long car rides anywhere on the horizon, will never finish.  Then, on Friday I realized with a jolt of panic that one of my IRL book groups is meeting TOMORROW to discuss Heilman's and Friedman's biography The Rebbe: The Life and Afterlife of Menachem Mendel Schneerson, also -- big shocker, I know -- a million pages long.  That's the only one of the lot I managed to get through.

Jane, LOL re living in a Gary Larson cartoon.  Me, I'm more of a Roz Chast girl, myself.

started Helene Wecker's Golem and the Jinni, recommended by shukriyya and Stacia,

I want to read it (maybe). I did check it out months ago, read the first chapter, wasn't pulled in & ended up returning it to the library at that point.

Unseen Academicals -- one of ds' favorites!

Tam, many book covers stay with me because I'm a visual person; it's often how I think of a book. (Maybe that's why I like paper books vs. ebooks because I see the cover art much more often with a paper book.) If I could frame one book cover & hang it in my house, The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is it -- the cover art drew me to the book in the first place. Makes me smile every time I see it.

9781585678440.jpg

The other big book cover that really stands out in my mind is The Sisters Brothers. Even though I read a library copy (& rarely re-read books), I later bought a copy of this one in the used bookstore just for the cover art.

9850443.jpg

I even made a shelf on my Goodreads page for book covers I love (among the books I've read). Looking at my own list, I think I must like covers with eyes. :laugh:

Jane, my dear, you are a brave woman. I would have screamed like a banshee and stomped the life out of that thing.

Ladydusk, I hope you feel better soon.

Shukriyya, my almost 7 year old is reading Charlotte's Web and she's in love with the cover art too.

I finished the second Frankenstein in Koontz's series. I figured out that it was meant to be a triology and I have all three books but Koontz went on to write two more. I'm totally not reading those and pretending I never learned that. :p The third one is much shorter than the first two so I'm sure I can get through it quickly so I can finally crack open The Historian.

Also, this morning I am debating sending my almost 5 year old to public school because she's driving me batpoop crazy. *shifty eyes* I adore her and I'm not asking anything beyond her capabilities. Alas, anything that Lila did not choose to do is met with a whole lot of kicking and screaming these days. Which I'm used to with having a 3 year old in the house but I didn't expect it to be coming from her. ;) Oh wise homeschooling mothers, how do I allow her to ease back a little if that's truly what she needs and not have her siblings jealous that Lila isn't doing school with us when she has been for the past year? While still encouraging her to grow with her education? (ETA: She's so little that the only requirements are reading, handwriting, and math. She joins us with the rest of the schoolwork but she's not required to do it.)

No book round up.

I realized mid-week I was doomed.  

I was already in the midst of -- well, more like 1/4 the way in - Mists of Avalon, which is a million pages long.  Then one night I couldn't find it, so I plucked at random off the top of the towering stack on my bedside table, and started Helene Wecker's Golem and the Jinni, recommended by shukriyya and Stacia, very engrossing, also a million pages long.  Also plowing through Isaiah, which is almost entirely incomprehensible to me, such that I have to read ten pages of explication and commentary for each page of text.  Meanwhile in the car I am listening to Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals, very funny, 12 CDs long, no long car rides anywhere on the horizon, will never finish.  Then, on Friday I realized with a jolt of panic that one of my IRL book groups is meeting TOMORROW to discuss Heilman's and Friedman's biography The Rebbe: The Life and Afterlife of Menachem Mendel Schneerson, also -- big shocker, I know -- a million pages long.  That's the only one of the lot I managed to get through.

Jane, LOL re living in a Gary Larson cartoon.  Me, I'm more of a Roz Chast girl, myself.

Loved The Golem and the Jinni!

I want to read it (maybe). I did check it out months ago, read the first chapter, wasn't pulled in & ended up returning it to the library at that point.

Unseen Academicals -- one of ds' favorites!

Tam, many book covers stay with me because I'm a visual person; it's often how I think of a book. (Maybe that's why I like paper books vs. ebooks because I see the cover art much more often with a paper book.) If I could frame one book cover & hang it in my house, The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear is it -- the cover art drew me to the book in the first place. Makes me smile every time I see it.

9781585678440.jpg

The other big book cover that really stands out in my mind is The Sisters Brothers. Even though I read a library copy (& rarely re-read books), I later bought a copy of this one in the used bookstore just for the cover art.

9850443.jpg

I even made a shelf on my Goodreads page for book covers I love (among the books I've read). Looking at my own list, I think I must like covers with eyes. :laugh:

Stacia, that's a brilliant idea. Sometimes I'm more interested in the cover art than the book and this is a great way to keep all that inspiration in one place.

The more I reflect on it I find that the cover art I remember most is from my childhood books. Did any of you read this series about Angus the Scottie dog? The cover art was wonderful. There's another book from my childhood that I loved both the cover art and inside art from but the title escapes me. Again about a little black dog called Muffin who has a day of listening inside the house. Perhaps it was by Margaret Wise Brown?

Jane, my dear, you are a brave woman. I would have screamed like a banshee and stomped the life out of that thing.

Ladydusk, I hope you feel better soon.

Shukriyya, my almost 7 year old is reading Charlotte's Web and she's in love with the cover art too.

I finished the second Frankenstein in Koontz's series. I figured out that it was meant to be a triology and I have all three books but Koontz went on to write two more. I'm totally not reading those and pretending I never learned that. :p The third one is much shorter than the first two so I'm sure I can get through it quickly so I can finally crack open The Historian.

Also, this morning I am debating sending my almost 5 year old to public school because she's driving me batpoop crazy. *shifty eyes* I adore her and I'm not asking anything beyond her capabilities. Alas, anything that Lila did not choose to do is met with a whole lot of kicking and screaming these days. Which I'm used to with having a 3 year old in the house but I didn't expect it to be coming from her. ;) Oh wise homeschooling mothers, how do I allow her to ease back a little if that's truly what she needs and not have her siblings jealous that Lila isn't doing school with us when she has been for the past year? While still encouraging her to grow with her education? (ETA: She's so little that the only requirements are reading, handwriting, and math. She joins us with the rest of the schoolwork but she's not required to do it.)

Hey, kind of nice to hang out with my inner seven year old. That's fun!

Kindle readers The Adventures of Henry Thoreau is a $1.99 daily deal today.

I've abandoned 'The Art Forger' after only two chapters. The writing...just.can't.do.it. Now it's Mary Stewart and 'The Ivy Tree' and then not sure what next.

Okay, I found it. The Indoor Noisy Book illustrated by the wonderfully talented and inspiring Leonard Weisgard.

Ladydusk, :grouphug: sending some hot tea and restorative shortbread your way to accompany you on your recuperative journey.

In the past we loved The Noisy Book and Angus the Dog. Unfortunately they fell apart by the time child number 5 was born.