Menu

Best test for 4th grader -- EXPLORE, SCAT??

efwalsh

I'm looking for some new ways to challenge my 4th grader, especially at the recommendation of her teacher at enrichment program. I've looked at the J Hopkins program -- which is really pricey, and the Duke TIPs. We are doing the Stanford EPGY independent study program currently, which is okay, but she said she doesn't feel challenged. I'm considering the Duke program, because some of the online activities/classes look fun and more affordable than others. 

But as I try to figure out what route to take, I've become incredibly confused about the pros and cons of the different tests the various programs recommend/offer. The Duke program offers the EXPLORE test, while the JHU CTY requires SCAT. My daughter scored quite high on the Iowa test, and I didn't find it that helpful in gauging her areas of relative strength.  This is the main reason I'm contemplating further testing, though it would be nice to gain access to some expanded online opportunities - even though I don't think any of the summer programs would be feasible. I'm wondering which test might offer the best information. Has anyone found these tests particularly worthwhile in learning more about their child's learning style, strengths etc? 

I like the EXPLORE much better. It just plain is more like other tests she'll take than the SCAT. In our case, it also provided support for DD"s application for the Davidson Young Scholars program, which has more free/low cost programs than the talent search programs. We tested through Belin-Blank, which is the cheapest I've found, and then used the scores to prove eligibility for Duke and NUMATS, since I didn't really care about having a local awards ceremony.  CTY does have some classes the others don't offer, though.

I'm interested in this, too.

Our kids did take the SCAT last year, but (as I predicted) the classes are too expensive / not a good fit for us. (They did score quite well on the test, which tells me I am at least sort-of moving in the right direction.) I'd like them to take the EXPLORE, but I just looked it up, and it seems that they are changing the EXPLORE test to the ASPIRE test?

Sigh. I wish these things were easier. (Sorry for the mini-whine.)

I believe that talent search providers are still using the EXPLORE this year, because the ASPIRE hasn't yet been normed for out of level testing. The ACT folks are in Iowa City, along with Belin-Blank, and what we've heard from Belin-Blank is that they're working together to make sure there is a good option for these programs to use to see which students are most likely to benefit.

I contacted them; will see about taking that test in our area.

I really appreciate the info here - my kids test quite high, but they don't (yet) realize that's unusual, and I'd like to keep it that way. I do want them challenged, though, at least in some areas; we've tried some new things this year, but I worry that I'm challenging them in executive function rather than in math / reading / science. I'm probably overthinking it.

Will look into some of the other options more carefully, too.

The SCAT has been the least useful out of all the tests DD has done. I probably won't bother with it for DS. Nobody uses it aside from CTY whereas the EXPLORE is accepted for a bunch of different programs. A mom in my area arranged for a proctored EXPLORE through Belin-Blank so DS will take it next week.

Has anyone managed to figure out what the ASPIRE test actually is? Once the EXPLORE test is gone, will the ASPIRE test be usuable for similar purposes?

Last year I had a very lengthy conversation with the Belkin center. Here is what I understood about the tests. The Aspire is similar to the Explore, but they incorporate a vocational track aspect. Supposedly the Explore is to show readiness for high school and thus college track. There is now a desire to show whether a student is better suited to the vocational fields (the entire concept and wording of that sort of idea bothers me). Anyway, the Aspire is supposed to be used as a career planning, high school advocacy sort of test.

The issue is that the main benefit of the Explore is that it looks very similar to the ACT with some of the heavy math removed. The Aspire is a reworking, so it will not have the feature of being so nicely aligned to high school testing. Rather than have my son sit for the ACT, I just had him take the Explore. Shorter time commitment, same depth of content, no overwhelming math, no writing component.

At this point, no one quite knows what will be going on with the Apsire. It might be fantastic, but something tells me we will just be sitting for high school tests from now on.

Thanks. I'd been thinking of having DS8 take the Explore, to get a snapshot, but I'm not sure there's much need. From what you say, the Aspire could be less useful.

I was also wondering if the Aspire would have a version at each grade level, in contrast to the Explore being at one specific level. At https://www.act.org/products/k-12-act-aspire/ they say things like "Vertically articulated, standards-based system of assessments to monitor progress toward college and career readiness from elementary school to high school, connecting each grade level to the next" making it sound like they want to test every year ($?) and maybe it would be intended mainly to test only at, not above, grade level.

I believe that's the big concern that the talent search providers have-that it's not going to really be a good out of level test, as opposed to something more like the ITBS.

In our case, it's not a big deal-DD will probably take the EXPLORE once more, not because it really will tell us anything new, but because she enjoys the testing day and so that Belin-Blank has one more data point (she's being followed in a study of math development), and then we'll move to the ACT/SAT.   I considered moving to the ACT this year, but DD would rather take it with kids closer to her age.

We went through the Belkin Center. You can check for centers in your area or have an independent test done if either the dates do not line up or the location does not work. Independent testing has to be done by a teacher other than the parent in a school (though a library might work if you needed to). My husband teaches so we just had his colleague do it and I did not need to ask any additional questions.

On the 3rd grade thing, I'm guessing you can call Belin-Blank and they'd let your DC register, especially since this is the last year for the test and the EXPLORE scores can be used for so much.  Officially, they start at 4th, but my DD took it at just turned 8 as a very young, grade skipped, 3rd grader (we waited for the last test date that year so she was at least 8 rather than being still 7)They had me register her as a 4th grader and then manually changed her registration to 3rd on their side. I imagine they could do the same for you. You'd probably still have to have them listed as a 3rd grader to get information because the test is only normed down to 3rd grade, and your DC would still need to meet the cut scores for various programs as though they were the grade for that program (at least, that's how it's worked in using DD's scores to get access to upper elementary/middle school programs-even though she's not X grade, if she has the qualifying score, it's fine).

I will say that at just barely 8 DD was a little intimidated by the test site, because it was a big, urban high school with students doing ACT prep, Saturday school, and other stuff like that on campus. (She commented "Mommy, some of the other kids have beards!"). She ended up doing the test sitting on a high school history book because she was too small to sit in the desk and write comfortably, and her feet didn't reach the ground. I will say that there were some nice, motherly 5th graders who adopted her pretty early in, and she came out chattering about her new friends (and was excited to see them at Math Kangaroo later that Spring).