Menu

School photographs

Why do schools still have Picture Day with outside photographers?

Nowadays it seems everyone has a smartphone and can take their own pictures-- in fact more pictures than we could ever want! And the school photos often do not turn out as well, and they cost $$.

If we didn't do the photos, DD was upset at the idea that everyone else would get their picture taken and she would not...

And, why do they take everyone's photo even if you aren't ordering?

This is separate from class pictures-- that is a different day and I can understand the value of having a yearly photo of all one's classmates.

Does the school make any money from the photos? Is it a fundraiser?

At our school, it seems like a whole day is wasted on this.

I want to start a discussion about this at our school, but wondered if anyone here has btdt?

I wonder the same thing.  I guess the school has uses for the photos.  In my kids' school, they take everyone's picture whether the parents pay or not.  They all go into the yearbook and everyone gets proofs and a little photo ID of their kid.  Then if you didn't already order photos, but you like the proofs, you can go online and order them after the fact.

I have never bought school photos, except one time in preschool when I really liked the photo and I ordered some photo gifts online after the fact.

They used to do this like 3 times a year in my kids' preschool.  I think different photographers each time.  I dunno, maybe the school got a commission or something. :P  Don't feel guilty.  Tell your kids lots of smart people don't order the photos because it's easier to get a good photo on our own cameras.

Schools do make money off of the pictures that you buy. The pictures are used for the yearbook. For high school kids, the pictures are used for their school ID cards. In our system, the pictures are linked in our attendance program so I have pictures of all the kids in my class, which makes learning their names go a lot faster. They are also linked to our lunch payment program. Kids use an ID number to purchase their lunches. The cashier can see the kid's picture to make sure the lunch is being charged to the right kid's account. We use them to ID kids if something has happened on campus that a teacher has seen (or the resource officer or an administrator or it is seen on the security cameras) if the kid's name is not known. 

Well....

Both DH and I have nice cameras (he has a very nice one, used professionally). We have great editing software. We take thousands of pics a year, many good ones of the boys. And yet....the DC just brought home the proofs from the school pics. I'm buying. In part to support the school, in part because, because...I've gotten away with not doing it for 8 years, I can now do it. They look like School Pictures. And this year is about celebrating our first year at school.

I'm not annoyed by the existence of school photographs, but I was less than pleased with our school photographer. One of our boys uses a wheelchair to get around but can easily sit in a regular chair. They took his picture in his wheelchair instead of moving him. Guess what clearly takes up most of the background of his photo, where all the other kids have plain blue behind them? Yeah, not thrilled about that one.

Our school takes their own photos for IDs. They have a charming photo of my preschooler with his mouth open roaring like a lion for their database photo. That's usually what he looks like, so at least they will be able to recognize him.

Why do schools still have Picture Day with outside photographers?

Nowadays it seems everyone has a smartphone and can take their own pictures-- in fact more pictures than we could ever want! And the school photos often do not turn out as well, and they cost $$.

**The school photos often do not turn out as well? Really? Have you seen the grainy, blurry mess that people post on Facebook? I am a semi-professional photographer and no, the pictures that people post are absolutely not as good as pictures with professional lighting and proper gear.**

If we didn't do the photos, DD was upset at the idea that everyone else would get their picture taken and she would not...

And, why do they take everyone's photo even if you aren't ordering?

**Because you need a uniform background for the yearbook. Yearbook photos aren't a snapshot you take in your backyard and send to the school. They're uniformaly posed with idential backgrounds.**

This is separate from class pictures-- that is a different day and I can understand the value of having a yearly photo of all one's classmates.

Does the school make any money from the photos? Is it a fundraiser?

At our school, it seems like a whole day is wasted on this.

I want to start a discussion about this at our school, but wondered if anyone here has btdt?

I don't think you'll get far having a discussion at the school. Most people want the professional traditional yearly shot of their child. A lot of people keep them all to see how their kid has changed over the years. A lot of people order just one or 2 sheets, an 8x10 for themselves and maybe a couple of 4x6s for the grandmas.

And even if they don't order them, people understand the need for the yearbook shots.

My dd has picture day today and my ds had it yesterday.  They are used for the yearbook.  Some people (actually most people) buy them and some don't so it's not really a big deal.  I don't think it is used as a fundraiser, at least I've never seen or heard anything that would imply that.

Most of the schools my kids have attended have school pictures in the Fall (for yearbook, class pictures) and then again in the Spring.  I usually buy the cheapest package in the Fall ($12-15) and never buy the Spring ones.

I like the formal school picture look.  I know, I'm a dork.

• 3 weeks later...

I just get the picture taken and order a couple for grandparents. It's far from her best picture and we don't even have a good photographer in the family, but I like to support the school.

Still, it does seem outdated. I like that the school has a picture of her in the yearbook.