Menu

Resources for teaching note taking?

My WTM search on the topic didn't turn up anything on HOW to teach your child to take Cornell notes or any of the step-by-step handholding that my ds seems to need. He knows how to key word outline from his early days in IEW....but he is having a hard time figuring out how to pull out what is relevant and how to write that concisely. (This kid also struggled with narrations....he can get there eventually but it's not easy for him.)

Are there any workbooks or videos that I should search out? He is in 7th now and needs to really improve in this area. His efforts at doing basic research papers aren't going well...we need to back up and lay some more foundation.... And, more to the point, he needs to have me separated out from the process just a little bit because the puberty hormones overfloweth....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok what are Cornell notes?  I've never heard of that.

check out this old thread - tons of resources here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/400539-cornell-notes-they-work/

I'm trying to get my kids both up to speed on this & the SuperStart Student method for pre-reading for lectures. Down the left you write your notes from reading. Down the right you write your lecture notes, esp linking or circling any concepts, phrases that come up in both sides. On the back, later, you write any exam questions that occur to you based on the notes on the front.

review notes again within 24h of lecture. Because dd has ld's, she actually re-writes chunks of her notes at that time as it helps her with retention.

He's made his first attempts at Cornell note-taking. He also has watched me read a chapter and make notes....copying them over from mine so that he has some modeling of what it should look like..... I think this is going to be a long process. 

I like the idea of combining reading/lecture notes.  Part of my issue with Cornell notes is that it uses an insane amount of paper. 

In thinking back to my undergrad and law school days, I don't think Cornell notes would work for me.....I just need to help ds find his own effective method.

Is there a specific program that you would recommend for this?

The easiest software to use is Inspiration or Kidspiration. DS uses Inspiration for PC, and we use the IPad app. The sw periodically goes on sale at the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. You can also check out their website. The company provides a 30 day free trial. DS has used the sw since 7th grade.