Menu

Would you please share your 7th grade curric choices?

I have Lial's on hand and it's a good solid book with an interesting scope and sequence.  It has the algebra interspersed in several chapters throughout, but it's still logical.  I think that is good for your dd because it'll give her something interesting to do while she works on review.  

Thanks!  I just ordered. 

Writing With Skill

Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Analytical Grammar

Figuratively Speaking

Art of Problem Solving PreAlgebra

The Human Body (a hodge podge of resources)

The World in Ancient Times

Flute lessons and band

Spanish

Extra Curriculars: Cross Country, 4H, Girl Scouts, Dancing Grits

My 7th grader is not feeling challenge, so I would love a peek at other people's curriculum choices for 7th grade.

There have been some 7th grade threads you may find helpful.

What is he/she doing right now that is not a challenge? 7th graders are all over the map in terms of ability and also interests.

Of course, sorry about that.

Math -- MUS Pre-Algebra, LOF Pre-Alg/Biology (completed Math Mammoth last year)

Literature -- Literature Analyis class at co-op (White Fang, Single Shart, Farenheight 451)

Writing-- Creative writing at co-op

Grammar-- Fix it Grammar and Saxon Grammar

Science -- Rainbow Science

History --Sonlight Core F (5)  Adding additional history reading for her

History outlining using a text book

Vocabulary from the Roots Up

MegaWords

Latin-- Lively Latin

I think part of the reason that she feels like school is easy is that math is mostly review this year.  She completed MM last year, which was basically pre-algebra, but I did not want to send her into alg. this year.  Waiting for 8th.  She is a young 7th grader, just turned 12.  The only thing she struggles with is neat handwriting.

OOPS sorry you did!

Math -- MUS Pre-Algebra, LOF Pre-Alg/Biology (completed Math Mammoth last year)

Go to whatever level she is able to do, don't hold back due to age. She's probably ready for Algebra or a challenging pre-A. Maybe check out Alcumus online. AoPS pre-A might fit her.

Literature -- Literature Analyis class at co-op (White Fang, Single Shart, Farenheight 451)

If too easy let her choose literature at a level that challenges her, but that does not sound bad for 7th.

Writing-- Creative writing at co-op

Grammar-- Fix it Grammar and Saxon Grammar

Science -- Rainbow Science

History --Sonlight Core F (5)  Adding additional history reading for her

History outlining using a text book

Vocabulary from the Roots Up

MegaWords

Latin-- Lively Latin

I don't know most of the above programs enough to comment meaningfully. My ds is doing Saxon grammar which is a good fit for him right now, but it is not especially fun or challenging.

My ds is enjoying participating in Hogwartsishere--getting interested in Astronomy, and doing Duolingo languages. He has been working with current events for social studies. He is officially a 6th grader, but I usually think in terms of 7th grade work. For math he has been doing a combo of Saxon pre-Alg and AoPS pre-alg. The Saxon has good review and the AoPS has more challenge.

Core F or 5 is History of the Eastern Hemisphere. I am having to add a little extra for my oldest, but I am combining with a 5th grader as well.

Good info on the Pre-Alg.

My then 5th & 7th graders did the first half of core F last year in co-op. They enjoyed many of the books, but they considered them to be very easy. This was fine with us since we were adding it on top of their regular history, but I could see it being boring for a 7th grader. I also agree with letting them start algebra if ready. They can always take 2 years for it if needed.

Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts, with the optional Classics reading set added in

Art of Argument

Elementary Science's Astronomy and Earth Sciences for the Logic Stage, plus any other science-y stuff DH and I choose to throw the kids' way

Philosophy for Kids

Religions of the World

Teaching Textbooks (math)

typing

music and art appreciation

Rosetta Stone Mandarin

bits of Latin here and there

History -- the biggie, and I HIGHLY recommend this, though it's work for you, too:  Stanford History Education Group's (SHEG) Reading Like a Historian.  http://sheg.stanford.edu/rlh

My kids hate learning names, dates, places, just as I did when I was a kid.  That makes history too dry and tedious.  However, like me, they love a good story.  We use Kingfisher and Usborne history encyclopedias for bases, watch a lot of videos, and discuss how books we read might fit into the historical timeline.  But the real challenge, and yet the real winner, is SHEG.  We use this as an additive, and it makes a world of difference.

SHEG is all about thinking critically about the sources of our history readings, and the assumptions we bring to the table.  It's about not accepting materials blindly, and looking at the sources as people with their own ideas, knowledge, misinformation, purposes, and limits.  It's a lot of work and the kids aren't quite finding it fun yet, but they are starting to enjoy thinking about why someone might say what they do when they read/watch/hear something (current affairs or historical) now.  We take the SHEG lessons slowly, so there's time to think and mull things over, and we intersperse the lessons in with other stuff.

Michael Clay Thompson's Language Arts, with the optional Classics reading set added in

Art of Argument

Elementary Science's Astronomy and Earth Sciences for the Logic Stage, plus any other science-y stuff DH and I choose to throw the kids' way

Philosophy for Kids

Religions of the World

Teaching Textbooks (math)

typing

music and art appreciation

Rosetta Stone Mandarin

bits of Latin here and there

History -- the biggie, and I HIGHLY recommend this, though it's work for you, too:  Stanford History Education Group's (SHEG) Reading Like a Historian.  http://sheg.stanford.edu/rlh

My kids hate learning names, dates, places, just as I did when I was a kid.  That makes history too dry and tedious.  However, like me, they love a good story.  We use Kingfisher and Usborne history encyclopedias for bases, watch a lot of videos, and discuss how books we read might fit into the historical timeline.  But the real challenge, and yet the real winner, is SHEG.  We use this as an additive, and it makes a world of difference.

SHEG is all about thinking critically about the sources of our history readings, and the assumptions we bring to the table.  It's about not accepting materials blindly, and looking at the sources as people with their own ideas, knowledge, misinformation, purposes, and limits.  It's a lot of work and the kids aren't quite finding it fun yet, but they are starting to enjoy thinking about why someone might say what they do when they read/watch/hear something (current affairs or historical) now.  We take the SHEG lessons slowly, so there's time to think and mull things over, and we intersperse the lessons in with other stuff.

Thank you!!

I second the Derek Owens' pre-algebra suggestion, if you're looking for something with videos. You could have a complete, solid pre-algebra course if you purchase his textbook, which I believe is Dolciaini-based(?) and use his free videos. (You can see them all here.) 

I used Dolciani's Pre-Algebra: An Accelerated Approach with my boys and used some of DO's pre-algebra videos when they needed further explanation. It wasn't too often; the Dolciani Pre-Algebra text has very thorough and easy to follow explanations along with plenty of practice problems. The videos were a nice change of pace, though.

My boys went on to do Algebra I online through Derek Owens, and that went very well, too.

Just wanted to update-- We got Lial's pre-alg. and have done 4 lessons.  It will again be mostly review, but I really don't want to do Alg. in 7th, so we are going to stick with it.  I have begun EIW with her as well.  Again, a ton of grammar review so far, but I think it will be good once they cover more writing.  She is very independent in her work and still completeing everything is less than 2 hours each day.  I am going to have her look at the SHEG history later today and see if that is something to add.