Menu

Would you please share your 7th grade curric choices?

It would make more sense for you to share at what level your dd is performing, what subjects you are studying, and what curriculum you are already using that isn't challenging her. 7th grade is a time where you might have some kids reviewing basic skills while other kids are working on high school credits.

Somehow I had science on my brain when I answered. The other things my oldest did in seventh grade were:

Tapestry of Grace lit and history

Art of Argument

Jacob's Algebra

French with Barron's Easy French

Drums

Art, Government and PE at co-op

ETA: Rod and Staff 7 Grammar and IEW SWI-CC B

Logic of English (Essentials, just spelling)

Rhythm of Handwriting (cursive review)

Art of Arguement

Art of Problem Solving finishing preA and starting Algebra soon

State studies (mom-designed class for state history/civics/Econ and natural history - marine science, geology, wildlife biology, etc)

Latin Prep 1

First Lego League

Science Olympiad (robocross, simple machines, and elastic launch glider)

Online class: Leadership at Willliamsburg Intermediate (Crocodiles International, literature, creative writing, weekly leadership projects)

Co-op class: Shakespeare Conquest (in depth study of Shakespeare (this term is Hamlet), independent reading of 7 additional plays, weekly opinion papers, vocabulary, research presntation, and end of year production of one of the Bard's plays)

Piano lessons

Morning Basket with the family

Writing With Skill 1, The Creative Writer, family Narnia study, Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, Art of Poetry, The Fallacy Detective, Spelling Power, Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern and Modern, Human Odyssey Volume 3, DuoLingo Spanish, Getting Started With Spanish, Saxon Algebra 1/2, Khan Academy seventh grade math, Latin's Not So Tough Levels 5 and 6, Glencoe Grammar, and more that I'm not thinking of right this second.

Things we have used that are jr. high level and good:

Figuratively Speaking followed by Walch Prose & Poetry Toolbook

Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop

MCT Magic Lens 1

WWS

K12 Human Odyssey

Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry

Art of Argument

If your student will be taken the SAT or ACT in jr high for talent search purposes, I like Sadlier-Oxford Grammar and Writing for Standardized Tests.

It would make more sense for you to share at what level your dd is performing, what subjects you are studying, and what curriculum you are already using that isn't challenging her. 7th grade is a time where you might have some kids reviewing basic skills while other kids are working on high school credits.

Of course, sorry about that.

Math -- MUS Pre-Algebra, LOF Pre-Alg/Biology (completed Math Mammoth last year)

Literature -- Literature Analyis class at co-op (White Fang, Single Shart, Farenheight 451)

Writing-- Creative writing at co-op

Grammar-- Fix it Grammar and Saxon Grammar

Science -- Rainbow Science

History --Sonlight Core F (5)  Adding additional history reading for her

History outlining using a text book

Vocabulary from the Roots Up

MegaWords

Latin-- Lively Latin

I think part of the reason that she feels like school is easy is that math is mostly review this year.  She completed MM last year, which was basically pre-algebra, but I did not want to send her into alg. this year.  Waiting for 8th.  She is a young 7th grader, just turned 12.  The only thing she struggles with is neat handwriting.

DD is using the following:

Decision Point (religion)

CLE Algebra 1

Mom's choice for literature

Voyages in English 7 (grammar; it's the onld 1950's Catholic school version)

Jump In! (writing)

Runkle's World Physical Geography

Better Handwriting for Young Catholics

Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science

Classically Catholic Memory, Beta Year (memory work)

If you completed MM6 last year, and he did well in it, I can see how he wouldn't be challenged by MUS or LOF pre-algebra.

Of course, sorry about that.

Math -- MUS Pre-Algebra, LOF Pre-Alg/Biology (completed Math Mammoth last year)

Literature -- Literature Analyis class at co-op (White Fang, Single Shart, Farenheight 451)

Writing-- Creative writing at co-op

Grammar-- Fix it Grammar and Saxon Grammar

Science -- Rainbow Science

History --Sonlight Core F (5)  Adding additional history reading for her

History outlining using a text book

Vocabulary from the Roots Up

MegaWords

Latin-- Lively Latin

I think part of the reason that she feels like school is easy is that math is mostly review this year.  She completed MM last year, which was basically pre-algebra, but I did not want to send her into alg. this year.  Waiting for 8th.  She is a young 7th grader, just turned 12.  The only thing she struggles with is neat handwriting.

Yes, if you just started MUS at the alg level it does probably seem too easy. That particular prealg isn't a typical one; it does more filling holes from the extreme mastery style of the elementary year than it does introduce alg topics. A regular poster here uses their alg as prealg after Horizons 1-6.

Rainbow science is supposed to be pretty good. Maybe increase the speed and go through it faster?

I'd probably drop spelling and vocab altogether.

Edited by SilverMoon

I use MUS's alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-geo and finish both in a single yr. My current 7th grader is doing exactly that this yr. Next yr she will use Foerster for alg. She will take geo in 9th.

It looks like several of the other selections are on the low end for a strong 7th grader. I have never used Lively Latin, but I thought it was marketed as an elementary Latin program. I might be wronG about that, though. I used Core 5 with my oldest when he was in 5th grade (that was 15 yrs ago, so it might have changed since then), but I agree with SilverMoon that what we used would be on the young side for a strong 7th grader.

In my OP in this thread I pointed out that 7th grade typically can have a broad range of skills. For a struggling or even avg7th grader, what you have listed is fine. But for kids that are ready for more, 7th grade can be time for thriving in challenges. It sounds like the selections are simply off for your dd's abilities.

Poetry and Shakespeare are good choices for increasing challenge levels. My 10th grader fell in love with poetry in7th grade. Her favorites in 7th were Lady of the Lake, Siege of Valencia, Lancelot and Elaine, Marmion, and Edinburg after Flodden. Now we have a constant diet of poetry in our lit selections. Shakespeare became an equal love.

A high school Latin program might also be a better fit.

Yes, if you just started MUS at the alg level it does probably seem too easy. That particular prealg isn't a typical one; it does more filling holes from the extreme mastery style of the elementary year than it does introduce alg topics. A regular poster here uses their alg as prealg after Horizons 1-6.

Rainbow science is supposed to be pretty good. Maybe increase the speed and go through it faster?

I don't speak Sonlight, but core 5 does seem awfully low for a 7th grader. Maybe grab some of the lit from Veritas Press for the same period.

I'd probably drop spelling and vocab altogether.

Core F or 5 is History of the Eastern Hemisphere.  I am having to add a little extra for my oldest, but I am combining with a 5th grader as well. 

Good info on the Pre-Alg.

I use MUS's alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-geo and finish both in a single yr. My current 7th grader is doing exactly that this yr. Next yr she will use Foerster for alg. She will take geo in 9th.

It looks like several of the other selections are on the low end for a strong 7th grader. I have never used Lively Latin, but I thought it was marketed as an elementary Latin program. I might be wronG about that, though. I used Core 5 with my oldest when he was in 5th grade (that was 15 yrs ago, so it might have changed since then), but I agree with SilverMoon that what we used would be on the young side for a strong 7th grader.

In my OP in this thread I pointed out that 7th grade typically can have a broad range of skills. For a struggling or even avg7th grader, what you have listed is fine. But for kids that are ready for more, 7th grade can be time for thriving in challenges. It sounds like the selections are simply off for your dd's abilities.

Poetry and Shakespeare are good choices for increasing challenge levels. My 10th grader fell in love with poetry in7th grade. Her favorites in 7th were Lady of the Lake, Siege of Valencia, Lancelot and Elaine, Marmion, and Edinburg after Flodden. Now we have a constant diet of poetry in our lit selections. Shakespeare became an equal love.

A high school Latin program might also be a better fit.

Looks like I need to order MUS Alg. instead.  She is finishing Lively Latin in a month, so I will look into a more advanced program.    Thanks for the poetry idea!

We did MM6, Zaccaro Real World Algebra, and Jousting Armadillos in 6th grade.  My dd is doing Jacobs now in 7th, and the first chapter is "too easy" after all that.  So I agree that she might be ready for Algebra! What about starting with something like Jacobs, that has a lot of PreA review in the early chapters, and then just planning to do the  book over 2 years?  That's what I'm planning.  It sure takes the pressure off to feel  like you have two full years to cover Algebra deeply! That might be better for you guys than repeating PreAlgebra.  

Other things we're using (we're not big curriculum followers, so everything is very tweaked):

Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

Lively Art of Writing

Writing the Classical Way

Grammar for Middle School/Paragraphs for Middle School

Big History Project w/ additional texts/trade books added 

Big Science (Big Bang, Stars & elements, Solar system & earth, life, evolution) - combo of texts, trade books, TC courses and Coursera courses

Metacognition stuff - Coursera Learning How to Learn, A Mind for Numbers, Statistics & Probability unit (current), Your Deceptive Mind (TC), A Demon Haunted World, Think: Why You Should Question Everything

Spanish - Easy Spanish Step by Step, GSWS, Easy Peasy Spanish Grade 7

Agreeing with others (and your last post), but wanted to highlight that Zaccaro Real World Algebra as a challenging supplement in addition to MUS's Algebra or AOPS's Pre-Algebra as a stand-alone challenge (instead of MUS's Algebra) might be another way to go. Other posters have mentioned these, so I'm just pulling them out so you don't miss them in the bulk. If you just want some more challenge, add RWA for 10 minutes a day. If you want an entirely different approach, try AOPS's Pre-A. For something in the middle, search the boards for Dolciani's Pre-A.

My 7th grader is finding that prealgebra (Saxon) is very easy and lacking in new information in the first third of the book.  I had her do the Kahn Academy 8th grade intro, and she found that there were some topics she hadn't hit yet.  So I have her working through the 7th grade Kahn stuff; some of it is new, and some of it is not, and some of it is just different applications of stuff she's already learned, so it has a challenge in learning to think outside the obvious box.  It's making a nice supplement/change of pace.  So you might consider Kahn as a supplement.

Another thing you might do is a business math thing.  DD used the "run your own store" from simplycharlottemason.com and enjoyed it.  It wasn't terribly difficult, but it was some new information, like writing checks, figuring tax, etc., and it was fun because it was presenting those things in a fun way.

My 7th grader is finding that prealgebra (Saxon) is very easy and lacking in new information in the first third of the book.  I had her do the Kahn Academy 8th grade intro, and she found that there were some topics she hadn't hit yet.  So I have her working through the 7th grade Kahn stuff; some of it is new, and some of it is not, and some of it is just different applications of stuff she's already learned, so it has a challenge in learning to think outside the obvious box.  It's making a nice supplement/change of pace.  So you might consider Kahn as a supplement.

Another thing you might do is a business math thing.  DD used the "run your own store" from simplycharlottemason.com and enjoyed it.  It wasn't terribly difficult, but it was some new information, like writing checks, figuring tax, etc., and it was fun because it was presenting those things in a fun way.

Yes!! I was just coming here to say I had looked at Khan (8th) and it will be a good fit.  I need to spend a little time figuring out how to make it work, but I think that will be her math for this year.  Thanks for the run your own store idea!

I think a more challenging pre-algebra, a lite algebra (with the goal of doing a challenging algebra in 8th) or the first half of a challenging algebra (with the goal of doing the second half in 8th) would be a better fit.

MUS pre-algebra is very light and not a good fit for someone who's already done pre-algebra unless they failed miserably.

Yes!! I was just coming here to say I had looked at Khan (8th) and it will be a good fit. I need to spend a little time figuring out how to make it work, but I think that will be her math for this year. Thanks for the run your own store idea!

That would be my last choice. I agree with Kiana. I think Khan can work as a supplement, but there are far too many great math programs out there to abandon them for Khan. Alcumus is another option for a supplement. But, hey, I am a math snob and expect my kids to complete thorough and challenging math programs. MUS's alg and geo as pre-alg and pre-geo is the easiest yr of math my kids ever have.

Yeah, it's not really the scope & sequence people object to with Khan.  One issue with it is that it is possible to game the system - progress by figuring out how to pattern-match answers without really getting why it works.  There are a couple of discussions about this on the high school board, you might want to do a search if you are interested to hearing people's reservations about Khan as primary math.  Some people are doing it successfully, but they are very involved in monitoring their children's progress, they certainly don't send them off to do it on their own.

Yeah, it's not really the scope & sequence people object to with Khan.  One issue with it is that it is possible to game the system - progress by figuring out how to pattern-match answers without really getting why it works.  There are a couple of discussions about this on the high school board, you might want to do a search if you are interested to hearing people's reservations about Khan as primary math.  Some people are doing it successfully, but they are very involved in monitoring their children's progress, they certainly don't send them off to do it on their own.

Yes. Also some problems really cannot be tested well with a computer. 

Hmm... looking at the scope and sequence of 8th grade, it looks pretty complete https://www.khanacademy.org/math/cc-eighth-grade-math (you have to click on each topic)

In addition to Rose's explanation, I would add that it has to do with the complexity of the application of the concepts. It can be argued that MUS covers all alg 1 topics in an avg alg course, but for the topics it covers, it covers them superficially. The depth of understanding required to solve MUS's problems does not compare to what is required to solve Foerster's problems (which in turn does not compare to what is required to solve AoPS problems.). Math programs are not equal simply bc they cover the same topics. It is why MUS works well for a pre-alg program bc it is a simplified exposure to topics that my kids later tackle in much more depth.

That makes sense.  I would required some sort of written work to go with it. Rather than actually solving them on the computer, they would have to  be written then reviewed with mom or dad.

So--

Any program I choose would need to be video based or have a ton of explanation/examples.  DH teaches math in 5th and 6th using MM (h has a Ph.D in a STEM field).  He cannot take on the both 7th grader and the 5th grader this year.  7th grader needs to be semi-independent.  He'll pick the 7th grader back up when she hits algebra and take  her through pre-cal or calculus. I can check work and make sure it is getting done, and we can go to dad for some specific issues.  I know we don't want to use Teaching Textbooks.   Foresters and AoPS are too intense for me to teach, I am just not able to explain it well enough.  DD is not math minded.  She has done well, but math is not a love at all.   I don't want to put her in a program she hates and make the dislike of math even worse.

ETA-- thanks for talking through this with me.

There are video lessons someone created to use with Foerster. I have not used them but have seen good reviews. This was my back up plan if we bombed with AoPS Intro Algebra. In my case it isn't that I couldn't teach the math, but finding more time in the day to do it. AoPS is turning out to be largely self-teaching for us again this year. I certainly do have to go over some things, but it isn't 100% on me.

Anyway, here are the Forester lessons. http://mathwithoutborders.com/?page_id=4

Maria of Math Mammoth gives them a good review. Have you seen her page on what she recommends for pre-alg and algebra? There may be more options there that would help you.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/

My DD is really enjoying Derek Owens Pre-Algebra this year. It is a video based program with full explanations.  :thumbup1:

There are video lessons someone created to use with Foerster. I have not used them but have seen good reviews. This was my back up plan if we bombed with AoPS Intro Algebra. In my case it isn't that I couldn't teach the math, but finding more time in the day to do it. AoPS is turning out to be largely self-teaching for us again this year. I certainly do have to go over some things, but it isn't 100% on me.

Anyway, here are the Forester lessons. http://mathwithoutborders.com/?page_id=4

Maria of Math Mammoth gives them a good review. Have you seen her page on what she recommends for pre-alg and algebra? There may be more options there that would help you.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/

Oh, thank you both so much!!

Yeah, in our math meanderings this year I have discovered that some Pre-Algebra programs or books focus pretty much JUST on solidifying all K=6 Math skills and then throw in 2 chapters of basic algebra foundations at the end.  

Other Pre-Algebra programs (and actually, what my state requires in 7th grade), would quickly review K-6 math and then work on statistics and probability, compound interest, rate/ratio and proportions, and then basically do half a year of what many consider to be Algebra 1.

What I am just saying is, that you really have lots of options and choices, and the more I "do math" with my kids and the more I look around seeing how hard it is to give a complete, solid, challenging AND interesting math education, the more I realize I am going to have to pull from different sources.  We also are hiring a tutor who is extremely math knowledgable to come twice a month and work on problem solving and fill in any gaps.  

EDITED;  We are using Lial's Pre-Algebra with MyHomeschoolMathClass instead of Khan.  Khan was fun and the Mission did include some review and mastery but it was not to the extent that I felt it should have.  So I printed some very simple problems from the areas Khan thought he had "mastered" and he most certainly bombed them.  Khan pretty much moves on when it thinks something is "mastered" so I knew that would not work.  Lial's is a good text but daunting for me to figure out how to use, so Jann's class is really a God-send.  

So, we are using Lial's with the online class twice per week and also having a tutor come every other week.  This works for us.

Y'know, VideoText Algebra is designed to cover (the equivalent of) Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, and Algebra II. I say "equivalent of" because their scope/sequence is entirely different from the cultural norm (of which I have heard it argued that it (the splitting of Alg I and II and putting Geo in the middle) happened in order to allow students to have time to have completed all of geometry before the PSATs (or was it SATs..I can't recall.). I think it is also intended to be covered over 3 years... We tried it out but I think timing/maturity weren't right for us (4th grade at the time) but Im going to hang onto it, I liked their philosophy that much. 

Since you said you need a video program, I thought I'd suggest Chalkdust. We've used Chalkdust Pre-Algebra, Algebra I & II, and PreCalculus for several kids who have all gone on to do very well in math at university, including a senior computer science major on full merit scholarship with a 4.0. They score in the high 700s on the SAT math section. Our kids have been able to work somewhat independently with Chalkdust, going to dh if they need help. They have all loved Dana Mosley's clear and engaging style of teaching. The textbooks have plenty of problems with varying degrees of challenge, so you can adjust the amount and type of practice to meet the individual student's needs.

Another idea. Why don't you and dh swap math students? Why don't you teach the 5th grader MM and let you dh work with the 7th grader? That way if you choose something like Lial's, your dh would be familiar with the style and know whether or not he wants to continue with it next yr for alg.

We very well may do that.  Since Lial is so inexpensive, I've ordered it.  Thanks so much for all of your help!