Menu

NaNoWriMo - Who is in?

Robin M

My daughter writes all the time...mostly on her ipod touch as "notes".   Then she emails them to herself to get them on her computer.  

I have no idea how she types all that on the ipod!  Seriously?  I am excited she is doing Nano this year.  She mostly writes various fan fiction (Doctor Who, Star Trek, Avengers, Criminal Minds, Phantom of the Opera) but this has encouraged her to plan a non-fan fiction novel.   

She has been writing a long time... in first grade she was the hit of her class with a series called "Smart Babies" about babies solving crimes and having adventures. It was hilarious!  So I am excited to see what she turns out.  

And before anyone asks...no, I'm not doing it myself this year!  I would really love to, but we just moved last weekend and life is chaos.  Maybe next year!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I write my autobiography?

I think that would put you in the NaNo Rebels group, but join right in.

I haven't decided.

Give it a shot.  Worst thing that can happen is you run out of steam and have to try again next year.  Well the worst thing that could happen is probably it going so well that you completely forget your family and friends for the month and you emerge on Dec. 1 victorious and look around you and wonder when the bomb went off.

I think that would put you in the NaNo Rebels group, but join right in.

Give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is you run out of steam and have to try again next year. Well the worst thing that could happen is probably it going so well that you completely forget your family and friends for the month and you emerge on Dec. 1 victorious and look around you and wonder when the bomb went off.

I have some translation to finish . I will have to work deep into the wee hours tonight to have that done so that I can start my autobiography. My dh and dc and df have all been begging me to write for years!

I think I'm in.  

I have spent the last couple of days thinking.  Thinking is harder than it looks.  

I spent the morning charting characters and drawing up a basic outline.

I signed in to my long neglected nanowrimo account.  

That means I'm in, right?

Anyone planning to stay up 'til midnight and get some words on paper?

I think I'm in.

I have spent the last couple of days thinking. Thinking is harder than it looks.

I spent the morning charting characters and drawing up a basic outline.

I signed in to my long neglected nanowrimo account.

That means I'm in, right?

Anyone planning to stay up 'til midnight and get some words on paper?

If you signed in, you are definitely in. Otherwise you just show up as a participant that didn't win next year (says the one that doesn't like to see her participant badge from last year not be purple).

Today's goal: get my characters named and write the opening scene.  I am tossing who gets the opening scene back and forth between my two MC.  It may end up being whoever gets a name first.  This may be a handwritten sort of day as I hate typing on the tiny laptop more then writing by pen and I will be away from the big laptop.

Soooo, I don't have a name for my novel yet. Can I edit my novel info later?

Fill in the title with no name or to be determined. That way you'll have something in play.

Remember the clocks fall back tonight so get an extra hour of writing.  :thumbup1:

Dh, dds17 and15, and I are in, but the Nanowrimo site has been timing out on me all day!

They are overwhelmed today. I was trying to access both the regular and the YWP sites earlier. I told ds they were really running slow and just then, they both crashed - server not responding error. I decided I'd update my word count later :). I feel for the techs at NaNoWriMo on day one. I'm sure the traffic gradually dies away all month with another small spike at the end.

I signed up. Yikes. Now what?

What happens if I don't write until tomorrow? How many words per day? Is there a better format than just using a word document?

Good for you. If you don't write until tomorrow, you start tomorrow. It is your month. Write when you can. I use Scrivener for novelizing. They gave a free trial version to all NaNo participants a couple of years ago with a very cheap purchase price at the end of the month. I bought. Ds uses it for longer papers as well as stories. 

There is nothing wrong with Word though if that is what is convenient for you.

My dd Rachel is a mod in one of the teen chat rooms on Nanowrimo.  She's been a regular for a few years so tell your kiddos to say hello!  :)  (Their "Pencils to Paper" chat is down--of course--but that's where she hangs.  They do a lot of writing activities for character and plot development.  And chat about life.  lol)

I signed up. Yikes. Now what?

What happens if I don't write until tomorrow? How many words per day? Is there a better format than just using a word document?

Take the # of days and divide by the number of words and that will be your total average words per day to write.

Use a monthly calendar to write down the # of words you write per day. Nano also averages out your words and lets you know how many words to write per day.

I've been at loose ends since the kids went to brick and mortar school in September. NaNoWriMo seems like it will be the external motivation I need to get that novel that has been percolating in the back of my mind since graduate school going. Thanks for the reminder guys. Now to get something on the page so I can feel successful on the first day.

I have no idea what to write. :/ My 13 yo already has 700 words!

Try some free-flow, stream of consciousness word dumping onto the page. If it takes off in any direction just go with it -- that sometimes helps me get going.

Try some free-flow, stream of consciousness word dumping onto the page. If it takes off in any direction just go with it -- that sometimes helps me get going.

Also, remember you don't have to start at the beginning. If you have a story idea, but are having trouble getting started, write a scene that is coming to you. Once you get to know your characters better, you'll know what else to do with them.

If I don't have a story idea, sometimes I start with a character. Man/Woman, Boy/Girl? How old? Where are they? What time period? What is interesting about them. What could happen to them that could make a good story. Start writing. I find it easier to write once I have someone to write about.

I have a story concept that I've been playing with for months. I was absolutely planning to use it for NaNo this year. A few days ago I threw it out. I just couldn't put anyone into the concept. I couldn't get the character and what would happen to them.

How do the covers work? I tried to upload a photo and the reply was that the file was too large. Do you have to design them yourself on a graphic design program?

I took a photo with my phone that was too big. On my phone I just kept clicking around until I found a way to resize it. You should be able to resize it on a computer too.

OK, I guess I'm in. 

I wasn't going to be in.  I have too many other things to do, but I couldn't stop myself. 

Just one question -- if I made the word count last year and got the certificate and all, should I have a halo on 2013?  Cause it's just sitting there as a purple blob.

If anyone wants me as a writing buddy, I'm happyeagle over at the nano site.  (eta: and I just added fishmouse and mom22ns as buddies)

OK, I guess I'm in. 

I wasn't going to be in.  I have too many other things to do, but I couldn't stop myself. 

Just one question -- if I made the word count last year and got the certificate and all, should I have a halo on 2013?  Cause it's just sitting there as a purple blob.

If anyone wants me as a writing buddy, I'm happyeagle over at the nano site.  (eta: and I just added fishmouse and mom22ns as buddies)

the halo is for when you donate money, otherwise it will just be a purple blob. 

I'm elegantlion over there too if any needs another writing buddy. 

Morning, ladies.   Happy with the time change and my body is now back in sync and I have my extra quiet hour in the morning to write.   I'm mytwoblessings over on nanowrimo site.  Added you all as buddies.

Most of what I've written this morning (3 pages) so far have been conversations with two of my characters trying to decide how the addition of one is going to help the story.  He's a character from a totally different story but made an appearance recently. Trying to figure out where this is going, without giving away the details in the scenes of what will happen later on. Can't have him giving away all the details in the beginning. Didn't even know they knew each other. Hah. That's what I get for taking a creative writing class.  Independent scenes and blips suddenly take on a life of their own.  Did get two hours of editing in yesterday as well and writing 3 fresh pages.  Yahoo!