Menu

MAP testing scores

So my daughter scored a 202 on her MAP reading score, is this good?  We are trying to get my 3rd grader in a Young Scholarship program but it seems like her scores are just not enough to get into the program.  What to do?  In her 3rd grade class it just doesn't seem like they are challenging her enough like I do at home.  I have a friend who's girl is in the program and they get homework sent home everyday and they challenge her all the time in class with mind thinking etc.  It's just so hard!

See page 53 http://legacysupport.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA%202011%20Norms%20Report_01.17.2012_2.pdf

202 would be at the 79th percentile for 3rd grade fall reading.

If you'd like to get her into a special program, then you need to ask the school how students are selected for the particular program. For example, some schools will accept private testing for admission to certain programs. But, you would want to feel strongly that the benefit of the program is really worth the time and expense of private testing.. (Note that the MAP scores are achievement scores, not ability scores.)

It really depends on the school. My dd scores in the 94% percentile in reading but she did not qualify for the GATE designation. However I feel she is appropriately challenged in her classroom. If you feel that is not the case, I would have a parent teacher conference as a first step to see if the teacher can provide that challenge. If that does not pan out well, find out what the requirements for the program are and who sets them.

• 3 weeks later...

So the teacher talked to the teacher that has the Young scholarship program and GT program and they say that she doesn't show interest and is not eager to learn and shies away from challenge things.  How do I get my daughter to be more eagerness to do studing.  I just think if she gets into the GT program it will hep her so much in the future (high school and middle school)  In the program they challenge the kids so much and in the classroom she is not being challenge enough.  The math she gets is like doing 1st grade stuff for her.  So frustrated.  I am wondering what her scores need to be to get into the GT program or Young Scholership program.  They won't tell (the school)

I am wondering what her scores need to be to get into the GT program or Young Scholership program. They won't tell (the school)

It's not just scores, there is still the teachers recommendations. Here parents prep for anything, my district would have lots of angry parents if cut-off scores were published.

As for your child willing to do challenging things, it is part personality and part maturity. At home, try giving her the chance to push boundaries and be allowed to fail. Kids change a lot, I won't worry too much about middle and high school now.

The math she gets is like doing 1st grade stuff for her.

For math, look out for open ended puzzles to challenge her at home. When problems/puzzles have only one solution, kids might find it more restrictive.

For example my older was having fun with the 2014 game because there are many possible solutions.

Link to 2014 math game

http://mathforum.org/yeargames

Math circle problems for elementary school kids are fun too as well as the MOEMS elementary division questions.

I'm not sure if your child is accelerated for language arts too. You might want to add another language.

If her school have Odyssey of the Mind, it might be worth participating. (Link to Odyssey of the Mind http://odysseyofthemind.com)

Most schools here allow parents to request for entry to the GT program every year. Do what you can after schooling and try again next year.

My kids were in PS and I do get your feeling of frustration.

ETA:

Sudoku, KenKen is also useful for facing challenges and persevering. Some newspapers have both an easy and a hard puzzle.