What's with the ads?

#1 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4617 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:57 PM

Winter is upon us here. It's getting to the point where a hoodie will not suffice much longer. I'm needing to purchase new winter wear, but I'm pregnant. This is possibly my last so I don't want to spend a fortune, but want to stay warm this winter. What sorts of things can I wear and layer to keep warm, but will adjust to pregnancy well?

#2 T'smom

T'smom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2576 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:02 PM

Last winter I borrowed a coat from a larger friend. I was just talking about not being able to find anything and she said "oh, I have an extra coat that I'm sure would work." It did. So, maybe ask around to see if anyone has something lyng around that you could borrow?
  • celticmom likes this

#3 AK_Mom4

AK_Mom4

Empress Bee of Bacon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6651 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

With my last kiddo, I wore men's oversized wool sweaters.  I found these great zip up cardigans at the local Value Village that came down to about mid-thigh on me (I'm not tall).  I cuffed up the sleeves and "voila!"  Warm Winter jacket.

#4 texasmama

texasmama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16820 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:15 PM

I wore a big black sweater jacket with everything. I was 9 months pg in December so I was HOT and this worked well.

#5 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12516 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:20 PM

I went to Old Navy a few days ago. They had a few sweaters and a lighter weight long sleeve top. They had some long items that looked like sweater dresses?? Something that could be worn with leggings.

I seldom get the chance to go to ON so I didn't know that when you spend $25 they give you $10 super cash which can be redeemed on a future purchase (in my case my super cash won't work til the end of October). I got a long sleeve top with ruching and tried on a sweater with ruching, too. But I did not buy the sweater. Might get it later after applying the super cash.

This looks like the one I got: http://oldnavy.gap.c...1&pid=978077032

It looks like there's a coupon at the top of the page but I don't know how to print it for in store use (it says works in store and online). Hmm. Anyway, the item I got had the $17 price tag but when they rang me up it was cheaper, like $12.

#6 happypamama

happypamama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9648 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

My regular winter coat is a wool peacoat from Kohl's. I haven't been hugely pregnant in the winter since I've had it, but since it has buttons, I could easily add a fleece panel to it to make room for a bellybump. (I actually have the fleece and the buttons, intending to put a panel in for babywearing, but I've never gotten around to it.). Then the panel would be removable when you no longer needed it.

#7 celticmom

celticmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1965 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:29 PM

What part of the country do you live in? I think I borrowed one of dh's jackets but I don't remember for sure. Since I live in a relatively warm area, I don't know if my experiences are particularly useful.

#8 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4617 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

What part of the country do you live in? I think I borrowed one of dh's jackets but I don't remember for sure. Since I live in a relatively warm area, I don't know if my experiences are particularly useful.

Heh. This is why I'm starting to look now. We are in Anchorage. Winters are milder here than a lot of the rest of the state (I'm told). I am very certain winter will be colder than in OKC (where we spent the last 9 years) where I could just get by with a hoodie most of the winter.

#9 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4617 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:34 PM

With my last kiddo, I wore men's oversized wool sweaters. I found these great zip up cardigans at the local Value Village that came down to about mid-thigh on me (I'm not tall). I cuffed up the sleeves and "voila!" Warm Winter jacket.

I'll have to visit Value Village!

#10 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13555 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

It depends on your climate, but I got a knee length parka from Lands End that was a clearanced color, for 50% off plus an additional coupon for a total order discount. It was originally $190 and I think I ended up paying $70 for it. I wore it through my last pregnancy and have it out for this one as well. It's not maternity, but I found they fit generously enough that I could wear it even at 40 weeks without much issue, and it fits when I'm not pregnant, too.

I'm all for layers, but I refuse to spring for maternity coats. Long sleeved shirts, a good jacket, and potentially long underwear/thigh high socks as a base layer have gotten me through -20 F winters without issue.

ETA - I forgot you're in Anchorage. I have not needed more than the above, even on ridiculously cold days. And the amount of warmth I get from a knee length coat versus a normal, hip length parka of the same insulation value cannot be understated. It makes a HUGE difference, especially when sitting in a cold car. My fall coat right now is an old Lands End thermal fleece windbreaker that is two sizes too large, and the winter coat is only a size larger than I wear non-pregnant. But because of the generous ease in the coats they fit over the epic belly with no issues.

Value Village is an option, but do check out Burlington right now, too. They have lots of coat options quite inexpensively.
  • celticmom likes this

#11 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4617 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:55 PM

It depends on your climate, but I got a knee length parka from Lands End that was a clearanced color, for 50% off plus an additional coupon for a total order discount. It was originally $190 and I think I ended up paying $70 for it. I wore it through my last pregnancy and have it out for this one as well. It's not maternity, but I found they fit generously enough that I could wear it even at 40 weeks without much issue, and it fits when I'm not pregnant, too.

I'm all for layers, but I refuse to spring for maternity coats. Long sleeved shirts, a good jacket, and potentially long underwear/thigh high socks as a base layer have gotten me through -20 F winters without issue.

ETA - I forgot you're in Anchorage. I have not needed more than the above, even on ridiculously cold days. And the amount of warmth I get from a knee length coat versus a normal, hip length parka of the same insulation value cannot be understated. It makes a HUGE difference, especially when sitting in a cold car. My fall coat right now is an old Lands End thermal fleece windbreaker that is two sizes too large, and the winter coat is only a size larger than I wear non-pregnant. But because of the generous ease in the coats they fit over the epic belly with no issues.

Value Village is an option, but do check out Burlington right now, too. They have lots of coat options quite inexpensively.

So just larger size long underwear or they make maternity ones?

I'll also check Burlington.

#12 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13555 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:08 AM

I just use mens/unisex long underwear, the cheap cotton waffle weave shift and leggings that are off white and have been around for ages. Walmart has them, I believe, and I'm almost positive Army Navy off of 4th ave has them too. My nicer silk long underwear aren't nearly as stretchy and cozy as these are.

And here is the Lands End coat I love. Wouldn't buy it without a coupon, but I adore that I can cinch the waist in if I'm not pregnant and it still fits and looks as good as a giant winter coat can:
http://www.landsend....-coat/id_243895

#13 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19005 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

I'm glad you asked this question, I really hadn't thought about it. My last winter baby was born in Southern California, winter clothes weren't a huge issue. This baby will be arriving smack in the middle of a real winter...

#14 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12516 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm glad you asked this question, I really hadn't thought about it. My last winter baby was born in Southern California, winter clothes weren't a huge issue. This baby will be arriving smack in the middle of a real winter...

Yeah, this thread applies to me as well though our winters are mild compared to many parts of the country. I may want to get one of my old jackets dry cleaned since I know my peacoat is not very roomy. Or I may take over one of dh's old hoodies lol. Just won't look real nice if I'm going somewhere like church.

When are you ladies due? I'm due in Dec.

#15 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4507 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

Do you knit?  I make super wide, thick scarves that aren't super long, but they cross over in front and go down to just below my waist.  They keep my front super warm when my coat is open.

#16 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12516 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:02 AM

Bumping this thread as last night I saw a maternity jacket on sale for $20 at Oldnavy.com. I think what makes it a "maternity" jacket is length, really. But for $20 I'm willing to find out. After I placed an order I realized it's an item that cannot be returned in stores. It has to be mailed. I hope it fits. It's not super thick, but they do carry some thicker items as well.

http://oldnavy.gap.c...ry.do?cid=50200

#17 ElizabethB

ElizabethB

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10271 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

A cape!

#18 Elisabet1

Elisabet1

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

I am due in March. I have already tried just wearing bigger sized clothes, but, I think I look dumpy when I do that! I think I am just going to have to suck it up and get maternity clothes. It is a high a 70 something today, but down to a high of 66 tomorrow. So, time to get there.

#19 Maplecat

Maplecat

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:22 AM

I've gotten through four Chicago winters by wearing a one size larger jacket. I'm now wearing it for the fifth season. The Columbia jacket I use is nice for maternity wear because I can separate it into a fleece, rain jacket, or wear it all together depending on the season.
  • heartlikealion likes this

#20 Beth S

Beth S

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1666 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:44 PM

I took my double-breasted coat, and moved the buttons to the edge of  the fabric.  6 extra inches of girth.  :)

#21 heartlikealion

heartlikealion

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12516 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

I got my Old Navy items in the mail. They fit. The zipper was giving me a little bit of trouble (hooking/unhooking) but overall I am very happy with the jacket. I also ordered one of their sweaters (different than the one I had tried in the store) with ruching which fits nicely.

#22 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4617 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

I needed up going with this one from Old Navy. It's definitely warm! And if you keep an eye out, they often offer 25% off and free shipping.
  • heartlikealion likes this