Menu

Maternity winter wear

blondeviolin

Winter is upon us here. It's getting to the point where a hoodie will not suffice much longer. I'm needing to purchase new winter wear, but I'm pregnant. This is possibly my last so I don't want to spend a fortune, but want to stay warm this winter. What sorts of things can I wear and layer to keep warm, but will adjust to pregnancy well?

Last winter I borrowed a coat from a larger friend. I was just talking about not being able to find anything and she said "oh, I have an extra coat that I'm sure would work." It did. So, maybe ask around to see if anyone has something lyng around that you could borrow?

My regular winter coat is a wool peacoat from Kohl's. I haven't been hugely pregnant in the winter since I've had it, but since it has buttons, I could easily add a fleece panel to it to make room for a bellybump. (I actually have the fleece and the buttons, intending to put a panel in for babywearing, but I've never gotten around to it.). Then the panel would be removable when you no longer needed it.

What part of the country do you live in? I think I borrowed one of dh's jackets but I don't remember for sure. Since I live in a relatively warm area, I don't know if my experiences are particularly useful.

Heh. This is why I'm starting to look now. We are in Anchorage. Winters are milder here than a lot of the rest of the state (I'm told). I am very certain winter will be colder than in OKC (where we spent the last 9 years) where I could just get by with a hoodie most of the winter.

With my last kiddo, I wore men's oversized wool sweaters. I found these great zip up cardigans at the local Value Village that came down to about mid-thigh on me (I'm not tall). I cuffed up the sleeves and "voila!" Warm Winter jacket.

I'll have to visit Value Village!

It depends on your climate, but I got a knee length parka from Lands End that was a clearanced color, for 50% off plus an additional coupon for a total order discount. It was originally $190 and I think I ended up paying $70 for it. I wore it through my last pregnancy and have it out for this one as well. It's not maternity, but I found they fit generously enough that I could wear it even at 40 weeks without much issue, and it fits when I'm not pregnant, too.

I'm all for layers, but I refuse to spring for maternity coats. Long sleeved shirts, a good jacket, and potentially long underwear/thigh high socks as a base layer have gotten me through -20 F winters without issue.

ETA - I forgot you're in Anchorage. I have not needed more than the above, even on ridiculously cold days. And the amount of warmth I get from a knee length coat versus a normal, hip length parka of the same insulation value cannot be understated. It makes a HUGE difference, especially when sitting in a cold car. My fall coat right now is an old Lands End thermal fleece windbreaker that is two sizes too large, and the winter coat is only a size larger than I wear non-pregnant. But because of the generous ease in the coats they fit over the epic belly with no issues.

Value Village is an option, but do check out Burlington right now, too. They have lots of coat options quite inexpensively.

So just larger size long underwear or they make maternity ones?

I'll also check Burlington.

• 4 weeks later...

I am due in March. I have already tried just wearing bigger sized clothes, but, I think I look dumpy when I do that! I think I am just going to have to suck it up and get maternity clothes. It is a high a 70 something today, but down to a high of 66 tomorrow. So, time to get there.

I've gotten through four Chicago winters by wearing a one size larger jacket. I'm now wearing it for the fifth season. The Columbia jacket I use is nice for maternity wear because I can separate it into a fleece, rain jacket, or wear it all together depending on the season.