Menu

Western NY? Buffalo and surrounding areas

Thank you!

Yes, I have more questions.

Is the evaluation done with someone from the school board face to face, or you send it in? Are there any umbrella school options? I think no on this one.

I get so confused when I start reading the legal-speak on home school regulations that I end up missing what I'm looking for, the essentials of what is truly necessary.

No testing?

What do you take to your evaluation? Does your child have to attend the evaluation? Listing of books? Portfolio of beginning of school year, end of school year from each subject?

I was surprised when I looked at the housing. I expected old houses to be fairly high priced because I think of New York across the board expensive, they're not.

We lived in Maryland mostly, Pennsylvania for a few years, so the weather would be a bit of a surprise, the snowy and windy part. I mean, considering you get over 100" of snow per winter, correct?

• 2 months later...

I am looking for homeschool opportunities for my kindergarten aged son.

We know about Mass Audubon and the MFA programs - looking forward to them.

What else is out there?

sara

• 2 months later...

It really is fairly easy to hs in NYS.  First you send in a Letter of Intent to the District Superintendent.  Then you would send in an IHIP (Individualized Home Instruction Plan) which you give the child's name, grade, dates you are turning in the quarterly reports, and a list of either curriculum you are using or how you plan on teaching the subjects.   The paperwork is what gets people.  For assessment we turn in quarterly reports (they do not have to be super detailed or anything like that), and an annual assessment (normally a written narrative for grades 1-3 (most districts let the parents write it but some want a certified teacher), grades 4-8 a standardized test every other year and then the narrative the other years (there are a few other options but most go for the narrative), 9-12 they do a standardized test each year.  Now the kids only need to get about the 33rd percentile on test and you are only required to finish 80% of what you plan in a quarter(year) and the district can not tell you what you should teach or how you should teach as long as you are doing the required subjects.

There are lots of great homeschool support groups in NYS.  If you are a Christian you could look into joining a LEAH chapter and there are some great NYS/WNY fb pages and groups too.