Menu

Liability Waivers at Activities, Schools, Etc...

Dear Wise Women (and Men) of the Hive,

There is an issue that has been brewing here in Bangalore after a rather horrific attack on a child at a school.  During the flood of anger and responses that occurred after the incident the government started stating that schools are not allowed to ask parents to waive liability of the school for the time that the child is in the custody of the school.

My DS attends a small, very progressive, school.  However, we get asked to sign liability waivers all the time.  When there is a field trip - there is a waiver sent home.  When there is going to be an extra bus ride to an event - there is a waiver sent home.  Now, they have sent home new "Applications" and "Health Forms" that to me look just like a chance to get parents to sign a new liability waiver.

So far, I have refused.  I have told them I would not return the "Application" until I am informed that I can strike out the liability waiver language.

I am an attorney so my question is not on the enforceability of such waivers.

I am trying to get an understanding of how things are done in the US currently.  Are you all signing waivers for all the extra activities you do?  What about public schools?  What about other organizations (Scouts?)

Thanks for sharing your info with me!

The insurance companies are the ones driving the requirements. Without the waiver, the group is unable to retain insurance, therefore parents who refuse to sign have their children dismissed from the program.

Legally, I don't know if most of these waivers are worth any more than the paper they are printed on, but the insurance companies seem to think they are valuable, so we continue to sign.

That's been our experience as well - lots of lability waivers, for most activities. A lot of them seem centered on the facilities the group meets in (with groups that rent a space in a church, for example)...I have always assumed it was for insurance reasons as well...so even if my kid falls of the stage and breaks a leg during our speech club meeting, I can't hold the facility liable (theoretically).

Waivers are signed for everything here in the PS.  Although, that doesn't mean that the school cannot be held responsible for something that happens due to the school's neglect.

Also, the schools here don't necessarily have the parent sign something for every single event.  At the beginning of the year, there is usually a blanket waiver that pretty much covers everything throughout the year.

Lots of waivers here. Registering at both the public and private schools requires signing waivers to the effect that the school is only responsible so far.  This has been an issue of discussion locally because there have been fights at the high school.  When another student attacks your kid, the school is not liable.  That type of thing.

However, I was on the board of a local homeschool group some years ago, and a lawyer friend of mine warned me that no matter how we worded it, the hosting church and/or the board might still be sued.  She advised that the organization and the board needed liability insurance if we really wanted to protect ourselves.  Because of that and some financial irregularities that were discovered shortly thereafter, I resigned from leadership and have been wary ever since of that type of thing.

There is a waiver here for anything you pay for and even some free things that require registration - sports, nature hikes, music lessons, etc. We do not have one for Sunday school.

There is no waiver for enrolling in PS, because the district cannot refuse enrollment to any child who shows proof of address and correct age. If they presented one, parents would just write REFUSED. I believe that legally, the school has, during school and school-sponsored events, responsibility for a child that is nearly the equivalent of parental responsibility.