Menu

Recommendations for a yearly achievement test?

displace

I'm researching HS for our family.  I would likely feel more comfortable if I had some objective measure of progress and where we should be with regards to schooling, what needs more remediation.  Can you recommend something?  This is for first grade.  I would likely want to have one as a starting point maybe?  Can they be taken more than once in a school year (one when we start and finish the grade)?

dd was able to take achievement tests with our local homeschooling group, but they weren't really all that helpful in choosing curriculum.

Math Mammoth and Saxon both have placement tests for first graders. Other popular curricula probably do as well.

My first grader just tells me (either directly in words or by fidgeting and procrastinating) when it's time to put a book back on the shelf and wait until he's older. I think he's more willing to try new things because he knows that he can tell me when he's had enough.

There is a very, very wide range of "normal" at this age.

For those recommending a WJ test, does that mean finding a psych to give those every year? Isn't that expensive or is it different when you're not testing for IQ purposes?

WJ-III and other achievement tests can be given by certified folks other than phd psychs.

MN has required yearly testing. Many people use either the Peabody(PIAT) or WJ-III tests for this. Here is the tester we use  http://www.achievement-test.com/ . Costs are detailed on her page but they range from $60-75 for the basic tests to $150 for the extended subtests . MUCH cheaper than what many psychs would charge. Maybe you could find something similar locally...

Ditto looking for the WJ-III.  No ceiling, 2 hours, instant results.  It gives actual grade level equivalencies, not percentiles.  I got it for my dd a few years ago for $75 with a tutor.  The trick is finding someone qualified to administer it who's not a $$$ psych.  But if you're getting a psych eval (I forget if you are?), then they'll run achievement testing too, giving you that baseline.

Or just give the Iowa.  Very thorough, just not giving you grade equivalences.

I'm under the impression (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that many if not most of the tests mentioned in this thread cost money and/or require a third party.

Yes, the Iowa cost $40. Parents with a bachelor's degree and/or professional teaching experience qualify to administer it ourselves at home. It was mailed to me; after he took it, I mailed it back; I received the scores by email.

My 8 year old son took the SAT 10 (or 9) for the past two years in private school. Our Coop will be doing the Sat 10 this year. I think it's $40. Georgia requires a test in third grade otherwise I would skip it this year. Based on results from the past years, I can't imagine that I'd use it to make any decisions about curriculum. 

I just found this by accident today. There is an online testing or paper testing options for $25 at http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/california-achievement-test-online-version/. Also, if you want to pay an extra $18.00, they will give you curriculum recommendations. I am not required to do testing, but I wanted a way to measure my son's learning (as well as have something to show my less than supportive family members) and have an objective way to see what skills we may need to focus on. HTH!