Menu

Legends & Leagues West ~ review!

4ofus

Hi friends!

I just wanted to post a "review" of sorts ~ back at the end of the summer I was looking for feedback on Legends & Leagues West (Veritas Press) & couldn't find any. It's pretty new & I guess no one had tried it out yet. I was worried that it would be too young for my 5th/6th graders.

Well, the kids went through it in 6 weeks & it has been great! For younger elementary students it recommends a year, for oder elementary students it recommends a semester. Well, I needed it to be even more compressed than that.

We didn't do any of the craft/cooking activities except ones that the kids decided to do in their own time (one). We did the songs/map studies/workbook & we came away with tons of new knowledge. We worked on in 3xs/week for 15-40 mins/day (varies).

As much as we've done geography in the past, we've never memorized much before now. We now have the countries/locations/capitals of S. America, countries/locations of C.America, Caribbean islands, N. America & Greenland, states/locations/capitals of United States, plus lots of specific information about the various regions studied. 

Note that although I say *we*, this was largely independent once I established how I wanted it to be worked through.

I think I'll grab another unit to do at the start of the spring semester.  

If you're looking for a quick, painless way to get in some geography, this is the first geography we've done & really, really enjoyed AND learned lots from!  

Hope that helps someone!

• Like 9

• 10 months later...

Great to hear!  We just got South and East last week.  They look great!  I'm planning on doing both this year and the other two next year.  

Thanks for the review. Is it secular? Or could it be used by a family who prefers mostly secular materials?

Our school bought these for us, and they only buy secular (although, sometimes I think they just don't know).  I flipped through the two we have and noticed a little bit of religion mentioned.  It doesn't appear to be saturated with it...and what is there looks like it could easily be skipped if need be.  Hopefully the OP can confirm or deny this, since she actually went through a level.  

• 4 weeks later...