Menu

Any No-S "Dieters" on the board?

EmilyGF

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost 10 pounds or so with No-S at one point, but I'm needing to be stricter as I get older. It is how I would ideally eat long term.

3 days per week, lunches are rice and something: lentils and rice, rice and beans, hamburger and rice, chicken and rice. One day is omelets and one is meat: salmon, steak or chicken. All of these with lots of veggies on the side. On weekends we usually eat sandwiches.

I should start that back up again. Even just cutting my Coke habit except for once on the weekend made a difference. I found it impossible to follow the no snacks/no sweets rule when we have grazing days (they're actually called that!) or birthday goodies at work, so I made up my own S exception for special occasion.

I generally No S. My standard lunch varies some by season. All this summer it was a giant salad with a protein and a sprinkle of some kind of nut and fruit. If I was really starving I might have a leftover from dinner, usually a protein plus a couple cooked vegetables. Now that it's winter I tend to have a bowl of hearty soup and a warm fruit. Occasionally I'll have a piece of baguette with it. It is just my standard eating pattern. I find the biggest hurdle is that food between meals is everywhere-at church, at parent meetings, at sport events, at mom get togethers. I'm polite and usually opt for a coffee or tea but I know others think it's weird.

I've just re-started it....I lost 25 pounds a couple years ago doing No-S, and hope to get back on track...need to lose about 30 more. Snacking is my biggest downfall, and when I cut that out, I lose weight. For lunches, I'll have a half sandwich, apple slices, a few chips; or a salad with chicken or salmon on it with a half roll; soup with crackers and some type of fruit.

I love NoS as it helped me to lose 50 pounds and KEEP THEM OFF!   :hurray:

It is wonderfully sane and helps me go with the flow of life, which in our case involves lots of guests, etc., and a more stringent diet wouldn't last a month. I've been at it for 6(!) years now and love it just as much as I did in the beginning.  In fact, I'm due to write my next yearly testimony for the testimony board over at the NoS site.  Take a look--same user name as here.

NoS principles work albeit slowly (although I lost 30 the first year, it took two more years to lose 20 more), but that slowness is one of its strengths.  Considering that typical "successful" losers (95%) regain weight within two years, I'm now in the select group of people (@5%) who've lost 30+ pounds and kept it off... all this despite being over 50, short (5'2"), menopausal, with low-functioning thyroid. 

Now to the lunch question, we often have leftovers (as is, or in a wrap/tortilla) or soup/bread or mezze plates (a bit of meat, cheese, or hummus, bread, veggies).  Also, I often make more of a veggie side dish at dinner, so I can add a serving to my lunch plate.   And with NoS, I don't fool myself that I'll have fruit for a snack, so we often have it for "dessert." Thus, I like to finish my meals with a bit of fruit, often cutting up a couple of apples (peaches, pears, or a bit of dried fruit with a sprinkle of nuts) to share with the family.  With a large piece of fruit, one apple can often feed 2 or 3 of us.

I could go on and on about how wonderful NoS is, but I've done that already in all my yearly testimonies, so just hop over to

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9529 to read my Year 5 testimonial with links to previous ones.  It is interesting to see the issues popping up over the years....

It is wonderfully sane and helps me go with the flow of life, which in our case involves lots of guests, etc., and a more stringent diet wouldn't last a month. I've been at it for 6(!) years now and love it just as much as I did in the beginning.  In fact, I'm due to write my next yearly testimony for the testimony board over at the NoS site.  Take a look--same user name as here.

NoS principles work albeit slowly (although I lost 30 the first year, it took two more years to lose 20 more), but that slowness is one of its strengths.  Considering that typical "successful" losers (95%) regain weight within two years, I'm now in the select group of people (@5%) who've lost 30+ pounds and kept it off... all this despite being over 50, short (5'2"), menopausal, with low-functioning thyroid. 

Now to the lunch question, we often have leftovers (as is, or in a wrap/tortilla) or soup/bread or mezze plates (a bit of meat, cheese, or hummus, bread, veggies).  Also, I often make more of a veggie side dish at dinner, so I can add a serving to my lunch plate.   And with NoS, I don't fool myself that I'll have fruit for a snack, so we often have it for "dessert." Thus, I like to finish my meals with a bit of fruit, often cutting up a couple of apples (peaches, pears, or a bit of dried fruit with a sprinkle of nuts) to share with the family.  With a large piece of fruit, one apple can often feed 2 or 3 of us.

I could go on and on about how wonderful NoS is, but I've done that already in all my yearly testimonies, so just hop over to

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9529 to read my Year 5 testimonial with links to previous ones.  It is interesting to see the issues popping up over the years....

Wow!  You've inspired me to try it. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if we could start a No-S accountability thread/group  here on the boards? That would be fun!

Wow!  You've inspired me to try it. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if we could start a No-S accountability thread/group  here on the boards? That would be fun!

Oops-- I just reread this whole thread, and I think that Emily was trying to have this thread be a support thread.  Sorry, Emily. Maybe we can keep this one going?

I have not started No-S yet.  I am going to use this weekend to figure out exact goals for my family and talk them into going along with the program. DH will be game. My kids, however, are going to mourn the loss of daily sweets.

My 7-year-old loves to bake... I need to find some healthy recipes to bake with her instead of cookies, brownies, etc.

Your post is so motivating. As someone who has battled a 15 pound gain/Ioss cycle for the last few years, I appreciate the point you make about slow weight loss that actually stays off. At this point I would take a 5 pound weight loss if it only STAYED off. With a slow weight loss like this I wonder how often you weigh yourself. I'm afraid I would get discouraged if the scale wasn't moving. How do you handle that?

When I'm on the ball, lunch for me is salad. I prechop the ingredients. Some of them, in various combinations are: lettuce, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, strawberries, grapes, mandarin oranges. Everything is put in SEPARATE containers. This is key or it all turns into a soggy mess by the 3rd day.

I assemble the above and top with walnuts, microwave chicken fries (no, they're not good for me, but I like them in my salad), and/or sunflower seeds.

I keep the dressing to a minimum, on the side. With the walnuts, chicken, and sunflower seeds, it fills me up.

Thanks for all the lunch ideas. I think I'm going to make a soup and some hummus to prep for the week.

For me, the hardest part is to eat a satisfying lunch. Since my habit is to snack all afternoon, I generally just eat a small lunch that doesn't really satisfy (or provide enough energy). When I've successfully used No-S, I've also made the effort to eat a meal amount of food for lunch. This takes more time to prepare, but I more than save that time when I don't take time to make and eat snacks all afternoon!

Your post is so motivating. As someone who has battled a 15 pound gain/Ioss cycle for the last few years, I appreciate the point you make about slow weight loss that actually stays off. At this point I would take a 5 pound weight loss if it only STAYED off. With a slow weight loss like this I wonder how often you weigh yourself. I'm afraid I would get discouraged if the scale wasn't moving. How do you handle that?

I was most drawn to NoS because it really mimics the healthy eating behaviors of many societies throughout history without the annoying "superfoods" and "micronutrient" emphasis of modern America.  What happened to eating good food and enjoying it???? I think that is where NoS shines.  When the pattern is good, you don't want to quit.

So, really, the way to handle it is to focus on getting the principles down, the good habits:  No Sweets, No Seconds, No Snacks except for S days".   Which means, and you might not want to hear this, that the scale doesn't move all that quickly for most people with only a little (under 15) to lose.  And, to complicate matters, our weight can easily change by 2-3 pounds in a day/week just from water weight.  So, true long-term weight loss is seen by sticking with the program for months.

Now, to answer your question about how often to weigh:  For the first four years, I weighed monthly.  The fifth year, I weighed daily (and inputted into an online program that showed the trend--this is when I learned how much weight can vary from day to day without any seeming reason).  Now, I weigh once a week.  There is no one right way.  Some throw their scales away so they really can focus on getting new eating habits and not be derailed by a number.

I do find it very helpful, even after all these years, to regularly visit The NoS boards (there are three--the general, the check-in, and the testimonials) because sensible eating is not touted over internet and blogs for the most part.  The check-in board is good for those who like the accountability of posting how they are doing.  I don't have time or inclination for that, but many find it helpful.  The regular and testimonial boards are full of good information by real people handling all the daily realities of learning/relearning how to eat sensibly in today's modern obesogenic environment. 

Again, it is the long-term daily habits that matter in the end.  So that is the very first step.  And here is a direct link to the boards:

NoS General:          http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

NoS Check-in:         http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=8

NoS Testimonial:      http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=13

Hope this helps and best wishes for good success!

I was wondering what No S Dieters did after a workout? Do you still have a snack or do you just wait until your next meal?

Most NoS dieters (I'm an active member on the NoS boards) have found that if they are eating reasonably-sized meals, they don't need a snack after a workout. An obvious exception would be if the workout were really something more akin to a day-long hike.... 

But of those who feel like they absolutely "need" a little something, most go with a glass of milk.  And for those who don't want or can't drink milk, they institute a very small mini-meal of the exact same thing each time. But again, by far, most NoSer's have found they don't need the snack like they thought they would.  Or if they started with one, they dropped it over time.

The NoS boards are a good place to get answers to your questions!  See previous post with links. :001_smile: We are a nice bunch of people over there, so join us!

I was wondering what No S Dieters did after a workout? Do you still have a snack or do you just wait until your next meal?

I work out pre-breakfast so have breakfast a couple hours after I run. I think that whole pre-workout/post-workout eating thing is overblown. Unless you're marathon training or weight lifting for a competition are any of us really working out that hard?

Also, is this plan so easy we don't need support? :laugh: I had to go look it up to see if anyone else posted. It's not so much support for eating as support for explaining to people why I'm not eating that I need. Even when you are polite people seem to get bent out of shape that I'm not munching while talking, teaching, visiting. Really, a cup of coffee and I'm good. :glare:

I am a no-Ser as well. I've been doing it a little over a year. I've lost about 15 pounds, but I think I may still be losing.

Like others have said, it's not super fast. At first, I lost about a pound a week and then it slowed down.

What I love is that I don't feel like I'm dieting and yet the weight comes off.

If you're just starting this, EmilyG, I just have to say that the first 3 weeks or so were the hardest.

I was really hungry and I missed my snacks.

For lunch, I typically eat leftovers, soups or sandwiches. A salad would not be enough to get me through to the end of the day.

I also started eating a heartier breakfast at first, although I was able to cut back to just hot cereal and/or toast once I got used to it and my appetite shrunk.

Good luck! I absolutely adore No-S!

Thanks to everyone for posting.

I was hooked last week and tried it.

I have to admit it's hard to cut out snacks. I still crave sweets but not having them around and knowing I can have something this weekend makes me stick with it. 

I've lost 2.5 pounds, no headaches (I use to get a lot while counting calories even though I ate several times a day) and I love that I don't have to count calories or figure out if a food is on an approved list I just get to enjoy eating a real plate of food. 

I walk in the afternoons with my kids or do light gym-type exercises (sit-ups, squats, jumping jacks, crunches) as a family. It's way easier to fit in my day since I can do it with my kids and they enjoy it. I feel more toned and am considering the shovel exercises I've read about on the forum...anyone tried? Do others exercise?

I have to admit twice I had to have something extra at night ( I should say early morning) I went with something small and filling. Baby steps...

Thanks again for all the suggestions and encouragement! 

I started the No S diet in January and have lost 11 pounds and have no fear of it returning. I would like to lose another 10 pounds and am comfortable if it takes another year or so.

I love that No S is now automatic. I don't have to think about it. I don't have to count points or avoid certain foods.

I really enjoyed the book and found it extremely motivating. The book isn't necessary to follow the plan but I liked the author's common sense and explanations.

So glad we now have a No S thread!

Elise in NC

Can I join in? I have had a bit of success on the 5:2, but there's just no way I can do that long term. All I do on fast days is think about food! I've also been counting calories on and off on Myfitnesspal, but that gets frustrating because most of the things I cook, I do not measure out ingredients and divide into uniform servings. I just throw stuff in the bowl or pot. 

I am reading the No S website right now, and love it! He is so funny, but lots of motivation and wisdom there too! Thanks for linking it above!

I already do some of it, like saving treats for weekends. But I do snack during the week. Need to work on that. I have noticed that I do much better if I eat a whole lot at a time than if I try spreading it out through the day. So I am thinking this should be just the thing for me. 

Today~I've only had two steak fresco tacos because I'm busy and I know I'm going to friends to have BBQ tonight.  That's not some 'weird' diet thing but the common sense "I'll save some room" thinking I'm going for.  I plan to enjoy it and then tomorrow it's 3 squares, no seconds,snacks, sweets, etc.  I've got a ham and potatoes and green beans for tomorrow.  Hardly diet food....

I'm jumping in with you guys because I need to loose some major weight (60 pounds!) and I am not good about counting, weighing, or banning food groups.

I've done no-S before and found it easy to do, but I didn't stick with it long enough. The seconds and sweets are my downfall.

Glad to be here!

I'm in!  I need to lose 40 lbs or so....Ugh can't believe it has gotten so out of control!  As of last year it was only 20 lbs but it was a stressful year and I ate like it

was 1999  :lol:

I am 43 and haven't had a weight problem until the last few years.   Always ate what I wanted, when I wanted.   I am finding out that I can no longer live this way.  I need support to continue past the first week or two when my resistance is low and I really do want that bag of pepperidge farm chessman cookies  :drool5:

I am hoping that with support I can learn to cut out the snack/sweets during the week.

Diane

Today is a " normal" day for me. Today was

B:plain yogurt, strawberries sprinkled with granola,coffee

L:3 bbq ribs and cole slaw,a few chips,water

D:ham, au gratin potatoes, carrots, roll,water

According to MFP this comes in at 1600 calories. I feel full and enjoyed my food. I'll probably have a cup of spice tea later.

I started today. Today was a No-S day. I did have coffee when I first got up, but other than that, stuck to my 3 meals with no seconds or sweets. I am used to having something sweet, usually just a square of chocolate, after every meal, so that was the tough part for me. But I ate enough to fill up and took the time to enjoy it. I also got in my short morning workout with weights and over my 10,000 steps for the day. 

VaKim- yeah!!!

I'm trying to remember what I had. Ok, checked MFP

B-ham, eggs, go lean and almond milk

L-leftover pulled pork and cheesy California blend, Apple

D-big salad with fajita chicken,cheese, pick de gallo, jalapeĂƒÂ±os and a dollop of plain yogurt

I just drank mint tea and am all tucked in for the night.

I started today as well.

B-nothing. I wasn't hungry.

L- ham and cheese sandwich, pickle, and tomato soup

D- 1/2 bowl of chili and small square of cornbread

Getting ready to turn in and still feeling good. I forget how little food the body actually needs to live on. All of those seconds I eat are NOT necessary!!!

I am a little confused about this. I understand the whole No-S concept. But, how can you lose weight if you eat a ton of food for B/L/D. What of I ate a Double Cheeseburger from McD's?(Not that I do, but wondering). And then 5 slices of pizza for dinner? Is there no portion control on this diet? Cutting out sweets(which I do not eat as it is) and snacking(which I also do not do) doesn't seem to make me lose any weight at all, apparently. It has to be about portion control, I would assume? Do we stay under 1200 calories?

I am a little confused about this. I understand the whole No-S concept. But, how can you lose weight if you eat a ton of food for B/L/D. What of I ate a Double Cheeseburger from McD's?(Not that I do, but wondering). And then 5 slices of pizza for dinner? Is there no portion control on this diet? Cutting out sweets(which I do not eat as it is) and snacking(which I also do not do) doesn't seem to make me lose any weight at all, apparently. It has to be about portion control, I would assume? Do we stay under 1200 calories?

The no seconds is my portion control. I don't usually put a ton of food on my plate, but I might go back for more at least once, maybe twice. In your scenario above, I wouldn't have 5 slices of pizza because that is way more than seconds. I would have one piece of pizza and a salad. As for McD's, if I had to eat there, I would get a kid's meal.

I started today. Today was a No-S day. I did have coffee when I first got up, but other than that, stuck to my 3 meals with no seconds or sweets. I am used to having something sweet, usually just a square of chocolate, after every meal, so that was the tough part for me. But I ate enough to fill up and took the time to enjoy it. I also got in my short morning workout with weights and over my 10,000 steps for the day. 

Just so you know, drinks (like coffee, tea, or even a glass of milk since it is not a "sweet") can be enjoyed in between meals.  Many people use a good cup of tea to tide them over when hit with the afternoon (or evening) munchies.

And you definitely have the right idea of eating enough at meals--too many people eat too little at a real meal and struggle to the next meal.  When I started NoS, I was amazed at how enjoyably satisfying my meals could be if I didn't snitch while prepping or putting away and STILL lose weight!  I probably ate a full meal's worth of calories in a bite here, a bite there without even realizing it in my pre-NoS days....

Congrats to your good start!

I eat anything not sweet?

I started with that and it's what I default to when I'm not doing whole30.

If nothing else, dinner leftovers?

As for eating a ton...

The point of No S is not to gorge at meals to make up for snacks? Doing so would indeed make it pointless. You are supposed to put a reasonable amount that you think will satisfy you at that sitting. Then you are done. No seconds. No snacks. If done this way, many people find that after a few weeks they crave snacks less and are finding themselves putting less on their plates at meals to fill them up.

No S helped get me started losing weight and then I ramped it up with whole30 bc, like a pp, I discovered that as I'm getting older, my health requires more determination to maintain.

I don't eat breakfast. Never have. I drink coffee with no sugar. I have a sandwich usually for lunch with a handful of pretzels. I drink water. For dinner, I have your standard meat/veggies. I don't snack or eat sweets. I guess I have been doing No-S right along, but I certainly have not lost any weight. Maybe I need to exercise more then. I need to drop at least 20 pounds. Preferably, 30. Nothing wrong with my thyroid. I don't get it.

I work out pre-breakfast so have breakfast a couple hours after I run. I think that whole pre-workout/post-workout eating thing is overblown. Unless you're marathon training or weight lifting for a competition are any of us really working out that hard?

Also, is this plan so easy we don't need support? :laugh: I had to go look it up to see if anyone else posted. It's not so much support for eating as support for explaining to people why I'm not eating that I need. Even when you are polite people seem to get bent out of shape that I'm not munching while talking, teaching, visiting. Really, a cup of coffee and I'm good. :glare:

I despise cardo. Which is stupid of me bc it's probably what I need the most bc yk Murphy's Law at work. I endure it with my Walk Away the Pounds dvds, which I do like. However, I prefer muscle building. And while muscle building might not be leaving me gasping for breath, it REALLY leaves me starving. The only comparable hunger inducing activity for me is swimming. So if I do either of those for longer than 45 minutes, I will have a mini-meal. Which means a heavy protein and healthy carb, such as a couple boiled eggs and a banana.

For this reason I MAKE myself eat a protein and carb for breakfast. I dislike breakfast too. Give me my pot of coffee and I'm good until 4pm. Unfortunately all of the sudden it hits me like a Mac truck and I'm not just hungry, I can out-eat my 5 teens. Not good. Whether I want it or not, for me, there's no denying I'm more level in many ways when I have a heavy protein hit about every 6 hours whether I'm actually hungry or not. And it keeps me from eating all my calories between 4pm and midnight, when I guarantee you I'm not going to burn that much calories. Because of that, it really helped me lose weight.

For those who don't quite get it, I really recommend hopping over and reading to the website linked above by a pp. Also be sure to check out his links on exercise. They make a lot of sense. A short (he recommends 14 minutes - see site to see why) intense workout every No-S day, as well as lots of walking (getting in about 10,000 steps a day eventually - love my fitbit for this). Off on weekends. 

The whole thing just makes tons of sense, and once you form the habits, I can see how it is a great lifestyle plan.

This is a good question.  If you read the NoS website or book (and I recommend you at least visit the website, it's free!), you'll see that this concern is addressed in several ways.

1. One plate of food means one plate, not a piled-high monster hill on a giant platter.

2.  If you did the above regularly (because there really aren't any prescribed limits on plate-size, piling-highness, so technically you could), you can't wonder how you are gaining weight (or not losing) because the evidence is clearly there before you.  Most of us aren't bozos in seeing that we are eating a lot when we see it at all once.  Many people feel like they AREN'T eating a lot because they eat a little here, a little there and it never seems like much; yet they gain weight and don't know why.  With NoS, there is no fooling yourself,  and Reinhard (the one who came up with the NoS mantra) grants that many of us, when confronted with the truth of monster plates, would gradually tweak back.

3.   The one-plate rule is a kind of portion control all on its own--again, assuming that you are relying on commonsense, not a weird I-can-eat-tons-of-food-on-this-one-huge-plate rationalization.  Additionally, because of the one-plate rule for a meal, it is hard to fool one's self that we will eat our fruit later (for a snack, for example, which is what I used to tell myself, but reality was that pretzels were the much easier snack to get and munch on...., so we eat our fruit with our meal.  That fruit naturally crowds out other denser foods I might be eating.

4.  The occasional 5 slices for pizza or Double Cheeseburger at McD's (technically allowed on S-days) is not what leads to weight-gain, it is the everyday habits.  So, we NoSer's don't worry about the once in a blue moon occasions like wedding anniversaries, b'day celebrations, or the occasional over-indulgence at McDs.  Instead, we focus on eating three normal meals a day, enjoying those meals, and enjoying the freedom from worrying over/about our food.  And when this is done, over-the-top S days aren't enjoyable anymore, so we do cut back on eating too much even when we technically "can" because it is no longer feels good.  The everyday NoS patterns of eating are their own reward.  Win-win with NoS!

All this to say, speaking with 6 years of NoS experience, the one-plate rule when sensibly followed most of the time, is enough portion control without needing to weigh, measure, etc.  And because I'm used to not being overstuffed and how good that feels, plus how enjoyable it is to be slightly hungry, anticipating the next meal, I've continued to curtail my portions over the years--not because I have to, or to cut xxxx calories, but because I want to feel good, and eating slightly less is what will do it. Another win-win with NoS!

Yep, one plate. Five pieces of pizza wouldn't fit on my plates but even if it did who are you fooling. You have to be honest with yourself. Today

B:leftover steak, pico de gallo and cheese with onions and peppers in a bowl

L:grilled chicken club ( got caught out of the house, I ditched the bun because i don't like it), Apple

D: leftover lime chicken, broccoli&cheese, zucchini. Baguette and butter

MFP says 1600

There's no reason to calorie count really, it just keeps me even keeled.

So I decided to start this today.  I need to do something, haven't been inspired enough to do anything else, so at least this is a step in the right direction, I guess.

Next I need to focus on preparing better meals.  I had 2 eggs with ham, cheese, and spinach for breakfast, a Lean Cuisine and some veggie straws for lunch, and a hot dog and homemade mac and cheese for dinner.  Not enough veggies, too many carbs, but at least I'm technically following the rules.  Baby steps.

Been on the No-S website today. Reading things that are making a little more sense to me now.

I am glad for the S days though. As usually we go out to dinner, or friends houses, and there tends to be a lot of junk food. (Chips, pretzels, alcohol etc)

I am dancing 3 hours straight one day a week. I think I will step up my game there.

Today I had two eggs over easy on top of a piece of buttered toast, hot dog w/ no bun and chili on top and baby carrots on the side, and for dinner, grilled lemon pepper chicken, steamed broccoli, and roasted potatoes. So far, so good...no seconds and no sweets and no snacks.

ETA: I have got to do a better job of eating fruit. Fruit is always my downfall!