Menu

Best place for young kid's glasses?

displace

We need glasses for our young son (first grade).  He's not super thrilled ("I don't want to wear glasses!"), so I'm hoping to appease him with something Super Cool!  Like superman or other crazy type frames.  Do they sell those?

When I was a child they had about 5 different pairs, none of which I liked and none of which fit my face well.  Thank goodness there are more options now.  So help direct us! 

FWIW we have optometry insurance so I think most places would be a good resource. 

PS -- durability will likely be necessary...

My youngest just started wearing reading glasses and we just went around to every local place to try on frames.  Each one carries different brands.  Once we found some she liked we ordered 2 pairs.  It took a while but she had fun and it was worth half a day to me to find something that she really liked and felt comfortable in so wearing them wouldn't be a fight.

We tried: 

Costco, Pearl Vision, Lens Crafters, Walmart and 2 local optometry centers.

Huh. I didn't have a good experience with Walmart. Maybe it varies by location.

Do check your insurance. We have optometry insurance, but there were only a handful of places covered under our plan.

I tend to pick local optometry places because of my experience with Walmart.

Wherever you go, though, you want a full/unlimited replacement 1 year warranty. I am shocked by how hard mine is on his glasses, and they tell me he's nothing compared to their usual experience with boys his age. Oh, I bought sport type kid glasses for him after I got smarter. They are more durable, and have hinges with give. We also got a second (cheap) pair, and I'm glad I did. If glasses have to be sent for replacement, he has a pair to wear. 

Another vote for Walmart.  They have great prices and a good warranty.  One year we found frames at a local optical shop but nothing at Walmart.  We purchased the frames from the shop and the lenses from Walmart, thus saving a nice amount of money.

Both my kids have been wearing glasses for years.  We've had the best luck in terms of service, warranties, and durability of glasses going to children's optometrist.  It doesn't hurt they take our insurance.  Their selection is just amazing and that has made a huge difference to both my kids. 

The glasses we had before from other various places were much cheaper, broke easier, and didn't fit as well.  And also weren't as nice looking as those available from the kid's optometrist. 

Sam's Club!! Lowest prices we've found, good selection, and a can't-be-beaten warranty. There's a good chance that you don't have to be a member to purchase glasses, which is also true for prescriptions at the pharmacy in our state at least. 

They are great about honoring their one year warranty. One of my sons had his glasses dropped and stepped on, just a couple of weeks short of one year after we purchased them. They didn't hesitate to order a complete replacement at no charge to us. They also have the best techs around here to make adjustments, again at no charge.