Menu

Khan Academy Algebra

I would like to start using Khan Academy Algebra I for my ninth grade boy.  We signed up, but I cannot find anywhere that tells me how to use the site effectively.  My questions are things like, what is the scope and sequence he will follow?  How much should he do each day in order to make the best progress?  Etc.  I feel like I am just looking at bunch of information that I don't understand and can't find anywhere that explains it all to me.  My son feels like he is doing a bunch of busy work on the computer with no real direction--just an endless supply of math problems being thrown at him.

How do you all use this site?  How did you figure out what to do and how to progress?  How do you use the site mainly--as a supplement or as your main curriculum?  Can it be used as the sole source of Algebra instruction?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Here is the link to all of the How To Guides:

https://www.khanacademy.org/coach-res/reference-for-coaches

One of the strengths of Khan is that there is not implementation or user sequence.  The point is to allow it to fit infinite individual situations.  For this reason, there is no scope and sequence.  There is no specifics of what a student needs to study. The point is to openly allow self study or for the individual teacher to choose what they want the students to learn.

If you scroll down the How To Guide list you will see not only how many different teachers implement Khan in their classrooms, the Common Core implementation or listing, but also a list of "Other Reference Materials."  In this section you can find mapping models for international studies, the ACT, the MCAT, and a few other end goals.  However, it is the job of you, the teacher, to choose your end goal.  Khan, quite honestly, is awesome because it does not have one.  It is just open source knowledge.

Many school districts have had teachers correlate their classroom scope and sequence to Khan for students who need homework help.  However, it is not sacred by any means.  Most algebra curricula are similar, but there are multiple deviations.  Here is one from the Independent School District of Houston: http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/75377

DS is using it for about 15-20 min a day as a way to refresh on previously learned skills, particularly geometry. Personally, it practically gives me hives that there is no laid out track to follow. I feel exactly the same way as your son.