Menu

Gulf coast beaches. Do you have a favorite?

ScoutTN

This year was our third visit to Laguna Beach Christian Retreat. Late Sep is the best time to go, not just because the weather is great but also because all the youth groups have vacated the retreat center. It's just quieter, less crowded. We've visited the attractions in PCB and Destin before so this year we just hung out at the beach and pool. The one drawback is you have to pack your linens and everything; they only provide tp in the cabins. Well, they have some cookware/dinnerware and a coffee pot too. But the price is right--they have a homeschool discount too!--and we've found it worth the extra trouble.

St Pete Beach has been great when we've been there.  We've stayed at the Tradewinds and Grand Plaza - both are nice.  The Tradewinds is a step up from the Grand Plaza, but you pay for it (in resort fees too, not just room fees).  The beach is rarely crowded and it's nice and long for walking + wide to be a true "beach."  It's also not far (by car) to get to Ft Desoto County Park and its truly wonderful totally unspoiled beach.  Ft Desoto also has a terrific campground if you're in to camping - we loved it there.

We go to Navarre, which is a tiny barrier island between Pensacola and Fort Walton. It's gorgeous. We go to visit my grandparents, usually in early October. We rent a house or a condo. If it weren't for my grandparents, we would probably go a little more east to Santa Rosa, Rosemary, or maybe St. George's. The whole Emerald Coast area is absolutely amazing.

I agree, the 30A communities are cute, and the beach is beautiful! You can rent houses or carriage houses there, and some of the communities have kids clubs too. I know Water Color does, but some others might as well. The people that live there are so kind, and traffic stops for pedestrians. :) It is not very touristy there, but it is pricey. If you go there stop in Rosemary at the ice cream shop, yummy!

Dauphin Island. All the kids claim it as their favorite vacation ever. Make sure to have bikes. There are no chains (restaurant, hotel...) on the island whatsoever. No real grocery store. We have stayed in the one hotel. It is old but just fine. Also stayed in a condo. Very, very nice. Plenty of houses to rent. Anyplace on the island is really good because you can be anywhere by bicycle in a few minutes. To a great degree, it is like stepping back in time. Lots of nature. Beautiful goat oak trees. Shell mounds. Big birding area. Then, they also have a beach!

Clearwater is another favorite. It is farther south and warmer during off seasons.

I think that Panama City also has beautiful water, but it is not as upscale as other areas, but it is cheaper and sometimes we go there.  Destin is more crowded than 30A and still has some partying, but it is still nice.  30A area is very nice, with good restaurants and less crowded.  All those areas have gorgeous water and beaches.  St. George takes longer to get to (assuming you don't live near there).  St. George is very nice and less commercial.  The water, though still green, is not as clear, nor the beaches as white.  It does have more shells and you will see more dolphins. 

Watch out for water advisories on Gulf beaches in Florida. Public beaches have been closed off and on due to high bacteria levels.

We went to Padre Island National Seashore in Texas and camped. I was very saddened to see so much trash washed up on the high tide shoreline.

The Keys will always have my heart. The Keys' Gulf side is made up of bays, calm, clear, warm water but not very beach-like. At least you can see the sharks.

I grew up going to Naples (both sets of grandparents had homes there when it was small and not crowded) and to the East coast. We went to Stone Harbor, NJ and Hatteras mostly. My kids have never been to the Atlantic so we might do that in the next few years sometime. I like Hilton Head in the off season. I love Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard in the summer. Dh has never been up there. I would like to go to Charleston with dh and no kids, maybe for an anniversary trip.

I love the Gulf because it is warm, the sand is nice and the waves are small. Great for families with littles. Relaxing. This year we are in a fairly remote area - 30 minutes to town, no cell phone reception and only 1 or 2 decent restaurants. It is beautiful and not at all crowded, but those descriptors apply to 30A in the offseason too. I think we are headed back there for the next beach trip.

I think that Panama City also has beautiful water, but it is not as upscale as other areas, but it is cheaper and sometimes we go there.  Destin is more crowded than 30A and still has some partying, but it is still nice.  30A area is very nice, with good restaurants and less crowded.  All those areas have gorgeous water and beaches.  St. George takes longer to get to (assuming you don't live near there).  St. George is very nice and less commercial.  The water, though still green, is not as clear, nor the beaches as white.  It does have more shells and you will see more dolphins. 

Do you have any recommendations for Panama City as far as places to stay?  We're headed there in June for dance, and I am completely clueless.  

Anna Maria is lovely. It's an island, which is a plus population-wise, but with grocery stores in easy driving distance. It isn't commercialized and has a handful of nice little local restaurants, interesting shops, etc. Fall is a lovely time to go, excepting the occasional hurricane. ;)

Starting with Anna Marie and any other islands/peninsulas south, i.e. Longboat Key, Lido Key, Siesta Key, Venice, Englewood, Port Charlotte, Naples. Each has its own uniqueness and specialties for different family interests. For example, Anna Marie is great for wading in the bay, Longboat is quiet and reserved good for watching manatee, Siesta has the nightlife, Port Charlotte and Sarasota is great for fishing. From Bradenton all the way south to Naples is awesome. Siesta Key has own Best Beach in America by Newsweek several times.