Menu

Am I the only person in the world who can...

Tiramisu

Steam them.  If you have a steaming pot:

1. get the water boiling 

2. place eggs in steaming basket and put over the boiling water

3. cook for 15-17 minutes (depending on size of eggs) 

4. fill bowl with ice and water and immediately dump eggs from basket into ice water

5. peel about 3-5 minutes later unless you have a higher burn tolerance then me

My husband is a firefighter and he just recently told me that just about every time they get a as call for food left on the stove it has been hard boiled eggs.

So apparently you're not the only one!

This makes me feel better.

It's been a weird day all around. My bedroom door got locked with my house and car keys in the bedroom, and I had to have dd climb a ladder and go in through the bathroom window to unlock the door. 

But we are getting school done! :)

No worries. I regularly use the smoke alarm as my kitchen timer. :laugh:

(I'm just carrying on a family tradition. My grandfather burned down his kitchen a few times. The joke was that he would forget that he put water on for tea until the smoke was too thick to see the tv. Fortunately, a few of his sons became firefighters in the same town. No, no lasting damage or people ever hurt, but the fire trucks did have to respond a few times.)

I not only burned the eggs, but they got to the point that they EXPLODED! Who knew they'd do that? It was probably the most disgusting mess I've ever cleaned. 

One of mine exploded, too, and it really doesn't smell nice, does it?

Between that and the dog diarrhea, it's rather malodorous around here.

No worries. I regularly use the smoke alarm as my kitchen timer. :laugh:

(I'm just carrying on a family tradition. My grandfather burned down his kitchen a few times. The joke was that he would forget that he put water on for tea until the smoke was too thick to see the tv. Fortunately, a few of his sons became firefighters in the same town. No, no lasting damage or people ever hurt, but the fire trucks did have to respond a few times.)

:lol:

A roommate of mine burned them once. They smelled awful! An easy way to do hardboiled eggs: put eggs in cold water. Bring to rolling boil (maybe stay close by for this part!) then turn heat off. Turn on timer for 12 minutes. When timer goes off rinse eggs in cold water. Voila!

This is really similar to what we do. But if you forget to set the timer, you might end up with green yolks. . .

DH and I managed to cook a boiling egg so long that half of the egg burned away.  We got a bit busy playing a video game (newly married, no kids, and no common sense apparently :) ).  When we finally remembered the stupid egg there was no water in the pot, only half the egg was left, and the downstairs was filled with smoke.   :)

Did you know that you can make scrambled hard-boiled eggs? You cut a sleeve off of an old shirt. Put an egg in the middle and then holding both ends, spin it around and snap it several times. This breaks the yolk without breaking the shell. Then you can cook it. I've been itching to make them for a potluck.