Menu

Third grade writing: SOTW and WWE

walkinlegends

My 8 year old is doing narration for each chapter section in SOTW (he was writing his own paragraphs last year and doing very well, but we've gone back to narration to help him summarize better and not include so many details). We've also started WWE this year. Is this overkill? It seems like a lot of work on writing alone - I'm wondering if his writing work with SOTW is sufficient or if the more structured work in WWE (narration, dictation, etc) is something he needs? Any thoughts?

Well, if you're going to chose one or the other I would chose WWE. I still write my children's SOTW narrations because handwriting is a struggle area for my 3rd grader and my kindergartener is still learning. WWE does have other things in it besides the copywork, narration, though I'm not sure what level you're on? We're on WWE1, so that plus the history narration wouldn't equal a paragraph, but I suspect you're further than we are in that area.