Menu

SWB New Story of Science book?

Soror

Is there not any thread on this? I just seen this on Facebook, when I saw the title I thought it would be the science version of SoTW but looking more it seems geared towards older ages, can anyone find more info?

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/Author.aspx?id=5498

I cannot get Norton's individual page for this to load. It says a publication date of May.

It looks cool and as someone who loves science writing and science history, I'll bet it's something I would enjoy. Looks more like it goes along with her adult level stuff though - sort of like it would be the thing you might read next if your kid did all of the Hakim series and was really into it.

Neat! It doesn't seem to be anything like Hakim. I get the impression that it is a guide to science reading, like The Well-Educated Mind for science history.

I do wish it had a different title though, because The Story of Science is already out there and well known. There is already another book for kids by the same name as it is.

ETA: Penelope said it! It took me took way too long to finish my very short post thanks to simultaneously talking through a word problem with DS8.

Neat! It doesn't seem to be anything like Hakim. I get the impression that it is a guide to science reading, like The Well-Educated Mind for science history. I wish it had a different title, really, because The Story of Science is already out there and well known. There is already another book for kids by the same name as it is.

ETA: Penelope said it! It took me took way too long to finish my very short post thanks to simultaneously talking through a word problem with DS8.

SWB addressed the name issue on the FB post in the comments. I didn't even think of the Hakim series when I saw it, but I haven't read it/used it so am not as familiar with it. I am really looking forward to reading it myself, but my kids probably won't :(

Hmmm, I am not sure. Actually, I am very hesitant. I just am not sure it will do the subject justice and there are already several wonderful books out that I have to wonder if it is just reinventing the wheel. I also worry about pseudo science, such as the Young Earth Theory not being addressed as what it is while everything related to evolution is questioned and not given proper explanation. 

Nothing like getting criticized before the book's even out. (I just wonder: On what basis is the above comment made? When have I addressed this issue in a way that would make readers assume I'm a proponent of "pseudo-science"? Hmm...)

Anyway, exclusively for my boardies, here's a sneak preview. 

Table of Contents

Foreword

I look forward to this book's publication.  A number of the books listed were required reading for my history of science classes.  (This was my undergraduate major.) 

An additional title, which could have fit well as a suggestion for further reading, is C. P. Snow's The Two Cultures.  (which we read, as well)

Susan, this looks absolutely fascinating.  I was just reading Adler's How To Read a Book, and he was talking about the difference between primary and secondary teachers, and creating a thought experiment about a university where Herodotus and Thucydides taught Greek history, Gibbon lectured on the fall of Rome, Euclid et. al. taught math, Aristotle, Sidney, Wordsworth & Shelley taught poetry & literary criticism.  I was right with him, until he got to the science part, "Harvey discussed the circulation of blood, and Galen, Claude Bernard, and Haldane taught general physiology.  Lectures on physics enlisted the talent of Galileo and Newton, Faraday and Maxwell, Planck and Einstein.  Boyle, Dalton, Lavoisier, and Pasteur taught chemistry.  Darwin and Mendel gave the main lectures on evolution and genetics."  And I thought, wait a minute, that wouldn't satisfy me at all!  That leaves out all the scientific discoveries and advances of the past 100+ years.  I've been thinking well, maybe science is different from these other subjects because of the use of new  instruments/technologies and the nature of discovery? But your forward helps to clarify my thinking about this.  Science is totally different, yet it is also exactly the same - it's practiced by humans, within a social, political, and intellectual context, and understanding that context will enrich the understanding and ability to grapple with current issues.

Anyway, I'm very excited to read this book.  I think (respectfully) that maybe it is a history of science, but a history that, like all the best histories, links the discoveries, philosophies and world views to the past and creates a lense through which we can understand the present and future.

How's that for gushing before the book is even out?  ;)  :D

I've been reading first edition TWTM science yesterday and today. How timely this book announcement is. I'm not sure of the differences in the first and third editions, but as I read the first, over and over, I am saying, "I get it now!" A little late after 14 years of reading this book. Better late than never, I guess.

I'm looking forward to reading this new book.

It looks great!  I love the forward.  I will definitely pre-order it whenever I can!

In a side note, I just finished the third history of the world book.  Please keep working on the next one of those, when you have time!  The plagues, the crusades... it was grim but fascinating.

Thanks so much for sharing the samples. I've been working through TWEM (ever so slowly) and plan to use it for high school. This looks great as a supplement to history and lit for my science lover when he gets to the rhetoric level. I can't even count how many times I have used science to lure this kid back to history. 

Just to be clear, my comment about the title was not a criticism so much as a wish. LOL I did go read the Facebook comment about the title being left up to Norton.

Ooh! Thanks for posting about this. Looks very, very interesting.

Can I just say, I am glad this isn't out now. I seriously have so much stuff to read that I am overwhelmed. My new goal is to have my bedside table all cleaned up, and the pile of books on the floor GONE so I can read this when it comes out.

Nothing like getting criticized before the book's even out. (I just wonder: On what basis is the above comment made? When have I addressed this issue in a way that would make readers assume I'm a proponent of "pseudo-science"? Hmm...)

Table of Contents

Foreword

Looks awesome!  Definitely different then any other stuff out there.  My oldest will LOVE this!

:)

(I don't know HOW you do it!  So many great books!)

Hot Lava Mama

Table of Contents

Forewordh

This looks really great!  Don't worry about the criticism.  I get the same accusation of being anti-science or promoting pseudo-science whenever I post something exciting I find in the realm of science which supports ID or OE Creationism.  I just ignore it and move on. I think your new book will fit in nicely with our plans for DD's high school experience.  Thank you so much for writing this!

SWB addressed the name issue on the FB post in the comments. I didn't even think of the Hakim series when I saw it, but I haven't read it/used it so am not as familiar with it. I am really looking forward to reading it myself, but my kids probably won't :(

Hakim's is what I first thought of when I saw the title ;)

With that said, it doesn't seem to be anything like Hakim's. Hakim's is a narrative story of science throughout history, and SWB's seems to be more based on guiding the reading through reading the actual documents of science?

Hakim's is what I first thought of when I saw the title ;)

With that said, it doesn't seem to be anything like Hakim's. Hakim's is a narrative story of science throughout history, and SWB's seems to be more based on guiding the reading through reading the actual documents of science?

Yes. Just as better quality of history study includes the studying of primary sources, Dr. Bauer is contributing to the better quality study of the history of science by compiling these pertinent primary sources.

Yes. Just as better quality of history study includes the studying of primary sources, Dr. Bauer is contributing to the better quality study of the history of science by compiling these pertinent primary sources.

Oh, it isn't a criticism at all. I think it would be a fabulous addition to a science program! I have every intention of grabbing for DD next year.