Menu

EQ

lewelma

My younger's greatest strength is his EQ and his Charisma.  And I would like some advice on ways that I can support/develop these skills.

To give you just the most recent example, we had a violin concert this weekend.  There were 4 violinists: my 2 sons and 2 amazing players who are in the *National* youth orchestra. My youngest boy went first, introduced his pieces with style and flare and poise, played well, then smiled and bowed. Then the next 3 players played for almost an hour after him.  The last violinist was simply awe-inspiring - she was the youngest person to *ever* get into the National Youth Orchestra for NZ, and that was 4 years ago and she has only gotten better.....So then the organiser gets up to thank everyone for coming and goes on for at least 30 seconds about my younger boy and how confident he was, and what a great speaker he was, and how it was so good to see him working so hard.  He did not say anything about the other violinists. :huh:  This happens all. the. time.  People are simply drawn to him.

He has considered jobs like being the mayor, or a team leader, or even a CEO or working at the UN.  He is not at all wedded to topical content in a job, but more to being with people and using his influence for good.  We currently have him in Drama, and plan for the Duke of Edinburgh's award when he turns 14, but I am wondering what else could be good for him and his aspirations.

Also, this is the boy who had a severe second-degree stutter between the ages of 3 and 6, which we worked *very* hard to remove.  And who headed down the road of social anxiety disorder, because he *saw* in people and their actions more than any little boy should. We have worked so vary hard with him and now that we are on the other side, the world seems to be his oyster.

How can I help him to be all that he can be?

Ruth in NZ

He'd probably be great in sales, law, or politics.

There are books on Charisma, as well as Bill Clinton, but given his age I'd think that would be more appropriate for you than for him at this point.  I'd just work very hard to give him an admiration for hard work, a good education, and a good sense of empathy, and hope he becomes whoever he wants to be.

EQ and the Charisma of a cult leader....totally my son.  My son picked a cause he cared about and then began speaking out for it.  It really gave him a forum to work from, encouragement that was not our family, and the ability to watch his ability work for the greater good.

Social history is a big one here as well.  The concept of civil disobedience, the concept of humility, the concept of when it is important to stand your ground and when it is important to step back and give greater social grace.  Lots of Jesus parables to discuss grace, not to discuss the whole God thing, but more that Jesus is depicted as a pretty bad a$$ social networker/community organizer.

Right now we are working on the differences between leading and being The Boss.  Dale Carnegie has a book called "How to Win Friends and Influence People."  It is quite good.  Has a lot to talk about.  Not a difficult one by any stretch, but really does require thinking and talking.

I am interested to see what some others have going on.

My dd is very charismatic. She is confident and poised no matter the situation. Besides her musical talent, this is the thing most people comment on when coming into contact with her either on stage or in person.

I don't know that I did anything to develop these skills…I think she was born this way. I know she will be successful in whatever she decides to do in life because she is just that kind of kid. She always has ideas and plans and isn't afraid to share them with others. She's resourceful and creative in ways that astound me at times. If there's something she decides she wants to do, she finds a way to learn it. I figure anything I might try to do to guide her in a certain direction would only get in her way at this point. I am sure her own imagination and creativity will come up with something more than I'd even dream of.

I have supported her along the way by following her lead, providing her opportunities to develop her skills and share them, and trying to parent her in ways that help build her self confidence. I am here for her to bounce ideas off and I help her keep doors open with a solid education.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your ds's involvement in drama and music. Maybe you could provide him opportunities to meet people in fields he is interested in. Is there a cause he's interested in being involved with or a charity he believes in? My dd enjoys using her musical skills and craft skills to help raise money for certain charities. Maybe you could find opportunities for him to work in a collaborative way with others to practice leadership skills, dealing with different personalities, etc…